What is the first album/tape/CD you ever purchased?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by javacontour
People think Taylor Swift is brave for singing her songs about ex-boyfriends.

Rumors was an album where the members sing about their problems with one another, while the others accompany them in the song.

Originally Posted by Highboy
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors

Originally Posted by wwillson
Michael Jackson - Thriller

It's hard for me to admit that now....

well... the title track is a bit Iconic... and even with all the controversies, Michael was a cultural Icon as much as some may not want to admit it.....

my first Purchase? well, not counting the "alf" 45 ("Melmack Girls") I got in a Burger King Kids Meal, was a Genesis CD.. "We Can't Dance" (MY first CD... i was 11)
The Tunes were catchy, they had Funny-ish videos.... what are you gonna do?

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Probably Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced.

War Heroes or live at Fillmore East for me I cant remember.

Shut Down Volume 2 Beach Boys album 1st 8 track Broken Barricades Procol Harum 1st CD Loaded Velvet Underground 1st 45 Teddy Bear Elvis I think I was about 5-6 and my real teddy bear just exploded or something

I bought this one yesterday:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by wwillson
Michael Jackson - Thriller

It's hard for me to admit that now....

+1

Also, why is that hard to admit?
There were amazing hits on that album.
IMO, no other album was nearly as popular as that one (for MJ at least).

First album?

KISS - Alive on CD @ Kmart when I was 12ish? So around 2004

Reckon I probably still have it somewhere at my parents house.
I don't buy CDs as much as I used to, I do tend to support my local record stores though as over the years I have built quite an extensive collection of vinyl and cassette.

The last thing I bought was Motown 1's

Screenshot_20200411-003639_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Beach Boys - Endless Summer. My sister had just bought a record, some top 70s hits thing and I had to get one, too. Now being in the single digits of age and three years younger than her, I was in the mind frame if she got something, it was only fair that I could get something. Parents shot it down. I pitched a fit. They gave in.
smile.gif
I'd heard the BB at my neighbors and was blown away by them. Surfin' USA was my favorite back then.

Got to visit the milk crates at home to check in. American Graffiti double album might be the one.
Just can't recall without sifting through them but I know I used to have a flip-open record player and some 45's in middle school years / early 1970's. 45 rpm's were my first round of music, George Harrison my Sweet Lord, Tommy James and the Shondells, stuff of that era. I think I tended to like the top 40 stuff my parents listened to in the mid late 60's and early 70's.

I was a bit of a movie soundtrack fan for a while too. Seems like by luck of the draw, I had a few good picks through the years. A Star is Born- Kristofferson/Streisand, FM the movie soundtrack, Urban Cowboy, American Graffiti.
I sold Hi Fi equip for a few years (1979 - 1983) , my enjoyment of music was somewhat taken for granted in a way I didn't have to buy or collect a lot of music to enjoy it on a daily basis. Made lots of cassette hits tapes though.

Last edited:
I don't quite remember the exact first album that I bought but, I believe it was Barbra Streisand/My Name is Barbra Two(1965), for my eldest sister for her 25th birthday. I wasn't buying LPs for myself at that time as I didn't have anything to play them on. But the first album for me was The Moody Blues/ In Search of the Lost Chord ~ 1968-'69.

showing my age now but an album by deep purple...don't recall the name of the album ..

I have had a LOT of albums, cassettes and 8-tracks given to me before I ever purchased one for myself. Many I still have.

First ever purchased?
I think it was the Eagles Their Greatest Hits (1971-1975) - in 1977
[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Originally Posted by Toy4x4
Beach Boys - Endless Summer. I'd heard the BB at my neighbors and was blown away by them. Surfin' USA was my favorite back then.

I still have that on 8-track .... but nothing to play it on.
It was one of my main cruisin' "staples" in my 1974 Chevy C10...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back