What is the first album/tape/CD you ever purchased?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by kschachn
Led Zeppelin's In Through the Out Door. It was sold in a plain brown wrapper, that's probably why I remember it.
That's a valuable album now. I think it was released with 4 different covers?

Yeah I had forgotten about that, but weren't they all inside the outer brown wrapper? You brushed water on it? and colors came out.

I like your album too, I probably had something like that as a kid too before the Led Zep album. I know a friend had a Cheech and Chong album we listened to that my parents would have never bought for me
grin.gif

Haha same here! I remember us watching a Check and Chong movie at this older kid's house one day when his parents were gone! There's no way my parents would've let me watch that haha!
laugh.gif

Interesting info on your Zeppelin album. It actually was issued with 6 different covers! You were right about brushing water on it, that's sweet! I never knew that! I also didn't know it had Fool In The Rain on it. That's one of my favorite songs by them. Here's a copy and paste from Wiki:

Packaging and artwork:
The original album featured an unusual gimmick: the album had an outer sleeve which was made to look like a plain brown paper bag (reminiscent of similarly packaged bootleg album sleeves with the title rubber-stamped on it), and the inner sleeve featured black and white line artwork which, if washed with water, would become permanently fully coloured. There were also six different sleeves featuring a different pair of photos (one on each side), and the external brown paper sleeve meant that it was impossible for record buyers to tell which sleeve they were getting.[11][a] The pictures all depicted the same scene in a bar (in which a man burns a Dear John letter), and each photo was taken from the separate point of view of someone who appeared in the other photos. The walls are covered with thousands of yellowed business cards and dollar bills.[citation needed] The photo session in a London studio was meant to look like a re-creation of the Old Absinthe House, in New Orleans, Louisiana.[11]

The first record I can remember actually buying with my own money was the 45 "Blinded By The Light" by Manfred Mann. I think it cost me 75 cents and I remember walking in the record store with my dad, finding it in the 45s section, and laying it and my one dollar bill on the counter. I had an old vacuum tube record player from the 1950s my dad had given me to play it on. That must've been 1977 so I would've been 8 years old. I still have it and it's totally worn out! God those were the days!!

People think Taylor Swift is brave for singing her songs about ex-boyfriends.

Rumors was an album where the members sing about their problems with one another, while the others accompany them in the song.

Originally Posted by Highboy
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors

Boston, first album. That first side I would say is about the best album side I ever heard. Bought it for $3.99 at Sears.

Originally Posted by John_K
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Electric Light Orchestra - Out of the Blue (around 1978).

[Linked Image]

Me too!

Not my first purchase, but I still have that vinyl. Its on my wall right now!

IMG_20200410_220906827.jpg

Last edited:
Bought (2) at the same time - Foreigner 4 and Journey E5C4P3 on vinyl. Bought them at Lazarus department store (now Macy's) because my Mom worked there and we got a discount. I still have them but nothing to play them on !

My copy of E5C4P3 is one of the original releases and the artwork on the album cover is embossed (raised off of the main surface).

The first album I ever bought for myself was Kiss Alive! in 1976. I bought it with the $10.00 my older brother had given me for my birthday. I was 12 years old and a huge Kiss fan. I wore that record out on a cheap K-Mart stereo my brother left me when he joined the Army in 1974.

The first CD I ever bought was Rush, Moving Pictures in about 1994 or 1995. I still have the Moving Pictures CD but the Kiss record(s) is long gone.

The first cassette I ever bought was The Allman Brothers Band, Beginnings. It was a compilation/greatest hits from their late 60's and early 70's days. The very first 8-track I ever went out and bought for myself was REO Speedwagon's A Decade Of Rock And Roll.

Hard to remember, but i think this was the first album i bought.

Eagles Desperado, its also on my wall right now.

IMG_20200410_221715443.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back