What is the best way to condition car seals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ya Folks,
It's been a long year of running an ARX treatment on my 94 Honda accord. After two treatments and following the instructions to the letter, I'm now into my third oil change after the last rinse phase, and I still have a small oil leak that developed during the ARX treatment.
So what is the best way to try and condition the seals.
1. Wait and do another oil change with regular dino oil
2. Oil with LC20
3. Maintenance dose of ARX with dino
4. Or go with a synthetic.

I'm not dissapointed or upset about the oil leak, but I do want it to stop, so that I don't smell that "burn oil smell" I get sometimes while waiting at a red light.
Thanks

Use a high mileage oil. Try the Valvoline Maxlife or the Maxlife synth. Use the rebate!

If your leak is like mine was with a 1991 Accord, it should go away soon. My drips came from the distributer o-ring seal. While moving, no problem, but when idling at a red light when the engine was warm, I'd get a slight whiff of burning oil. The weeping was small, just enough to keep the area under the distributer damp. After about a year (15K) of dino, the dampness and oil burning smell went away.

BTW, in their FAQ, ARX recommends dino to keep the seal pliable enough to avoid leaks/weeping:

http://www.auto-rx.com/pages/faqs.htm#U13
Q: I've heard that synthetic oil can adversely affect my seals. Does Auto-Rx® help?
A: We believe that high-mileage engines using synthetic/semi-synthetic or high mileage oil weaken the seal material and it loses its pliability.

jrrd54, another idea: What engine does your Accord have? I guess one of the F22 (4-cyl), some of which have an oil intercooler where the filter spins on. If it does it can develop a leak from the o-ring there that drips almost directly on the exhaust. My 91 had that problem.

Jrrd,

Last year my 91 civic developed a leak from a bad valve cover gasket kit and the "grommet" rings that came with it. Fortunately someone found it and it was a cheap easy fix.

Good luck to you

Now that you have cleaned your engine with Auto-Rx, run some non synthetic oil (no Auto-Rx you already cleaned the engine) for up to 3000 miles if seal not ripped or torn leak will stop. Do not use high mileage-semi synthetic oil. See above posts.

Hey Folks,
Thanks for all the replies. I will stick with regular oil changes for now.
@BearZdefect, I'm going to have a good look at where the leak is coming from, and that will be the first place I'm going to look.
@skate1968 I've heard alot of problems with those grommets, but I good up there in the valve cover area.
Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back