Hit a deer on the way to work

Looks like a bumper and grille and maybe a headlight if the tabs can't be repaired. $400 in used or knockoff parts. Can't imagine they would total it for that.

I don't think the insurance company is concerned with how cheap you can fix the car yourself using junkyard parts. The insurance is going to value the "loss" according to market rate for a qualified shop to perform the work.

My experience is that these types of repairs tend to cost way more than expected. What seems simple to fix isn't so simple, hidden damage that isn't visible until taken apart, etc. Wouldn't surprise me if this is $3,000 or more in damage.

Last edited:
Looks like a bumper and grille and maybe a headlight if the tabs can't be repaired. $400 in used or knockoff parts. Can't imagine they would total it for that.
The hood looks bent/protruding into light on drivers side unfortunately. That adds a lot to costing to deal with metal.

That's an easy fix. Generally deer hits create no structural damage therefore you will not need to go to a frame shop. Older Honda CRV parts are cheap. You can buy painted parts from suppliers and they are very low priced. Way less money than a body shop would charge and many body shops are buying pre-painted panels already. Buy brand new aftermarket parts since your vehicle has lots of miles on it and it's not worth paying for OEM Honda parts. I would keep it too because if you had it since 7 miles it's like an old and trusted friend. Everything should pretty much be an R&R. Good luck and enjoy those deer roasts.

Well just got back from the body shop, and they were not sounding too hopeful about my car not being totaled. Combination of age and miles being the main problems. Waiting to hear from insurance for the official word. I have a friend who is a former Honda tech who is willing to help, which I am thankful for. Now he works on John Deere’s and loves it. Odd cross over but I am looking forward to catching up with him and working on cars like we did in the old days when we had more hair, fewer kids and way less sense.

I think the hood is ok it’s t
The hood looks bent/protruding into light on drivers side unfortunately. That adds a lot to costing to deal with metal.
I think the headlight got jammed underneath the hood, it seemed pretty straight after I pulled the headlight out.

I finally got the estimate back…looks like it’s a total loss. Not super surprised judging by the miles and age. I’ll be looking for used parts for the bumper and grille in the body color to avoid painting expenses.

Attachments

• IMG_1776.jpg
    IMG_1776.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 46
I finally got the estimate back…looks like it’s a total loss. Not super surprised judging by the miles and age. I’ll be looking for used parts for the bumper and grille in the body color to avoid painting expenses.
how old is the car... ? if its old enough, just buy the parts you can and dont bother painting..

I always thought for a car to be totaled the repairs had to exceed the value of the car. In VA, I believe the repairs only have to exceed 70% of the value of the car. I just found this out this spring after my wife wrecked her car.

Finally got her back together. Spent lots of down time at the body shop awaiting their estimate, to officially say it’s a total loss.

I ended up buying it from the insurance company and called my local repair shop. He towed it back to his shop and replaced the radiator, condenser , headlight and grill. I ordered a used bumper and here we are. Not perfect but I’m glad to have her back. Still runs great and the fact I couldn’t find anything nearly as clean for the insurance payout amount made this a no brainer.

Here is a before and after

Attachments

• IMG_1757.jpeg
    IMG_1757.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1910.jpeg
    IMG_1910.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 19
BEFORE DEER STRIKE:
Aww...aren't they cute. Watch 'em bounding about as if they're playing. See....the parents watch their fawns play...so serene.

AFTER DEER STRIKE:
I'll beat that danm thing with my jack if it's not dead. I want its relatives killed and the forest burnt down for a 50 mile radius!
Then scream like Sam Kinison (a late comic who yelled).

BEFORE DEER STRIKE:
Aww...aren't they cute. Watch 'em bounding about as if they're playing. See....the parents watch their fawns play...so serene.

AFTER DEER STRIKE:
I'll beat that danm thing with my jack if it's not dead. I want its relatives killed and the forest burnt down for a 50 mile radius!
Then scream like Sam Kinison (a late comic who yelled).
Yep never really cared for Venison before but now I have an insatiable appetite for it. lol

No doubt has to do with all the warehouses being built around here that are encroaching on their habitats. Really grinds my gears

I was trying to avoid a huge traffic jam on my way in to work on Friday, so I took some back roads and out comes a doe. What’s annoying is that I already let my work know I was going to be late, and I had my first period prep as well. I just don’t like being late.

Anyway the left headlight was jammed up under the hood and broken tabs, hood seems ok, grill is in a million pieces, but the worst part is the condenser got shoved into the radiator and is now leaking. I drove it the 12 miles home but now waiting on insurance to tow it to the body shop and get the bad news.

I’m fearing they’ll total it as it’s a 2007 with 196,000 miles. I love this car and have owned and maintained it since we bought it with 7 miles on it. I can’t imagine finding anything that is equivalent for the amount the insurance will pay.

Best case they fix it. Worst case they total it and I can scour used parts and rebuild it. Sorry for the long post just venting…I never wanted to go deer hunting until Friday.
View attachment 187006View attachment 187006
Great to hear you're okay. My mom rear ended a guy and like usual the inside company wanted to total it. If they instantly say it's totalled ask for a secondary inspection. My dad showed the insurance company that no structural damage had occurred and it was just cosmetic. They fixed it without totalling it after just cosmetic parts were replaced.

I was trying to avoid a huge traffic jam on my way in to work on Friday, so I took some back roads and out comes a doe. What’s annoying is that I already let my work know I was going to be late, and I had my first period prep as well. I just don’t like being late.

Anyway the left headlight was jammed up under the hood and broken tabs, hood seems ok, grill is in a million pieces, but the worst part is the condenser got shoved into the radiator and is now leaking. I drove it the 12 miles home but now waiting on insurance to tow it to the body shop and get the bad news.

I’m fearing they’ll total it as it’s a 2007 with 196,000 miles. I love this car and have owned and maintained it since we bought it with 7 miles on it. I can’t imagine finding anything that is equivalent for the amount the insurance will pay.

Best case they fix it. Worst case they total it and I can scour used parts and rebuild it. Sorry for the long post just venting…I never wanted to go deer hunting until Friday.
View attachment 187006View attachment 187006
Sorry to hear. Only a few years back, we hit a deer in a $74,000 Genesis loaner (my old Sonata was yet again in the shop for warranty issues). It looked like only the driver side headlight, front grille, and a few panels needed some replacement.

$46,500 later, insurance paid out. It’s incredible what a deer can do at only 45-50MPH.

I put deer in same category as ground hogs. I like them the most when they are dead. Deer have cost my family too much. Oh, and did I mention the 36 roses 🌹?

Ours is 70% of value.
Yeah that’s what my State Farm agent said. 70% of “actual car value”. The collision shop wouldn’t work on it once it was deemed a total loss. I thought that was interesting. I guess their reputation was too high to work on my lowly CRV.

Back