What is the best paper air filter....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to change my oem Motorcraft FA1061 paper filter in my 97 T-bird(4.6L soch v8)

What's te best paper air filter available for this application?

Thanks in advance

I am not sure about the Ford product lines OTC filters. I know that the only aftermarket filter that is close to my OEM Toyota's fuzy high loft filter media is Puralator. In a pinch any filter is better then a dirty one as long as it seals well.

Not to rehash past discussions, but a dirty filter is more efficient than a clean one. The crucial point is whether or not it is reducing the air flow to a point that effects mileage or driveability.

quote:

Originally posted by dickwells:
Not to rehash past discussions, but a dirty filter is more efficient than a clean one. The crucial point is whether or not it is reducing the air flow to a point that effects mileage or driveability.

I have noticed more silicon in my UOAs since I replaced my very dirty OEM air filter (which had over 80k on it!) with a fresh Fram air filter. I also replaced that air filter in between runs at the dragstrip, and picked up 0.2mph in trap speeds, which indicates I gained about 2hp from the switch. The old filter was very gunked up, it had kind of a greasy sludge on it. But it definitely kept a good portion of dirt out of my UOAs. I hope my new filter doesn't take long to start trapping more dirt, I'm not super impressed with it so far, but I know Fram air filters eventually work well, as my wife's 5k run last year showed only 4ppm of silicon with a Fram air filter.

Ken2,

Everyone is concentrated on the media but you bring up a good point. The best media in the world is no good if the filter does not seal off and force all the incoming air thur the media..

I have found that one brand of performance filter that is blue in color to have a terrible fit. On my 2001 GMC it was approx. 1/4" smaller than the air box. Not much good if it lets air bypass the media.
 -

-

I recomend NAPA GOLD which is really a Wix filter. Of all the filters I looked at this was the best made and closest to the original Japannese filter that came with my car. The dealers OEM filter was sub par with less pleats which I found does effect milage. Probably power is affected but I don't have a way to test that.

For what its worth I use and like Napa gold filters, I think most of them are made by Wix, but oddly enough the one for my wifes Mercedes was made in Poland, it was also a top qaulity peice. I don't think you can go wrong with premium Napa parts of any kind.

Well, uhhh, Kompress, regarding Napa parts:

I had a Napa alternator fail (bearings died and it siezed) on me after 3 months. The one I bought from Kragen lasted 3 years (died electrically). Hummm.....

Regardless of that, I do agree that Napa Gold filters are good stuff.

Yeah, I had a brand-new Napa waterpump fail in my SHO after 7 months (6,000 miles). We will see how long the rebuilt replacement will last (also Napa). I dont' mind using their parts though, I usually get good milage out of them, and they have good build quality.
And I use nothing but Napa Gold air and oil filters.
smile.gif

My experience last oil change leads me to believe that it's virtually useless to make air filter decisions based on brand name. My advice? Look at different brands to fit your car, & then pick the one that looks best to you. And when you're ready for another air filter, do *NOT* assume your pick from last time is still the same- look & compare again. These companies are out-sourcing like crazy.

quote:

Originally posted by Stuart Hughes:
My advice? Look at different brands to fit your car, & then pick the one that looks best to you. And when you're ready for another air filter, do *NOT* assume your pick from last time is still the same- look & compare again. These companies are out-sourcing like crazy.

this is exactly what i did. i looked around and compared. judging the materials and air filow with my mouth.....i ruled out fram....and purolator (they didnt have ne)...but then someone mentioned baldwin...i checked it out and i liked it...so i bought it.

i will be looking into napa gold in 2 years....this filter i have now will last a while...

just learn from ur old filters and spend wisely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back