How to improve air filters that appear to be made out of used clothes dryer sheets?

elantra, sonata, nero?
Sonata. The microguard pn looks like mga10127.
You can see where I added wd-40 down the middle of the rows.
IMG_20230919_183819_3~2.jpg

Redmax gz30n, 30cc weed eater, felt air filter.
IMG_20230919_185016_8~2.jpg

Actually behind the air filter looks really good this time. I really soaked it with oil when I put this one on and probably more oil blow back from running 40:1 helped some too.

This is what I need:
Screenshot_20230920-090446~2.jpg

In stock at my local O'Rileys.
If it can make an almost see through k&n filter catch 96% of dirt on an iso5011 test it ought to increase a felt filters drit catching abilities.
Before the k&n simp window licker army says "mu k&n durr dee durr iso5011 on the k&n website"
exhibit A and I rest my case:
ISO5011-efficiency.jpg

The OEM Hyundai/KIA air filters work just fine and the WIX/NAPA Gold are a direct aftermarket replacement. Use either with confidence. There is no need to compare automotive air filters to air filters for OPE.
I certainly wouldn’t be spraying some sort of oily substance on a filter that isn’t designed for it.

The OEM Hyundai/KIA air filters work just fine and the WIX/NAPA Gold are a direct aftermarket replacement. Use either with confidence. There is no need to compare automotive air filters to air filters for OPE.
I certainly wouldn’t be spraying some sort of oily substance on a filter that isn’t designed for it.
Looks like my only choices left now are wix, microguard and oem for that Hyundai filter. At least at O'Rileys.

If dirt is inside the intake, its not coming through the media of a good name brand filter. Possible from perimeter if it doesn’t seal well, but not through the media.
The redmax filter was nice and oily and didn't pass any dirt this time. The filter appears to seal up very well when i change it I have to peal it out of the intake. My only option is felt for oem and aftermarket. Had it since 2017 and a little dirt always seem to get through.
On the echo saw, had it since 2018 and I have been RTVing the air filter for 2 or 3 years now, still dirty on the inside. Yes I clean it when I change the air filter.

Point is these aren't good air filters.

The redmax filter was nice and oily and didn't pass any dirt this time. The filter appears to seal up very well when i change it I have to peal it out of the intake. My only option is felt for oem and aftermarket. Had it since 2017 and a little dirt always seem to get through.
On the echo saw, had it since 2018 and I have been RTVing the air filter for 2 or 3 years now, still dirty on the inside. Yes I clean it when I change the air filter.

Point is these aren't good air filters.
My old Toyota truck had well over 200k miles with that very type of filter as your Hyundai. Never once saw dirt in the intake. There is nothing wrong with that style filter.

Do you live in New Mexico?
No, but southern GA farm use and dirt roads aren’t exactly clean room environments.

Try different brands, like Wix or Fram, for your Hyundai. I found some brands did not fit the intake box as well in that Toyota. Wix and Fram supposedly have better efficiency as well, although that type media in automotive use suspiciously looks identical across all brands.

Been to Georgia it's not dirty.
Eastern New Mexico is almost the middle east. Everything I run that has a paper air filter has no dirt or virtually no dirt. A few dabs of RTV and some lock nuts on my small engine air intakes, no dirt.
Dodge Dakota has a big paper air filter but has a janky air intake, I get a little dirt and I can tell it's not coming through the filter. A little silicon grease around a janky rubber boot seems to have fixed it.

Back