How to improve air filters that appear to be made out of used clothes dryer sheets?

Hyundai/kia newer echo, toro, redmax stuff. The newer generation of air filters appear to be made out of used dryer sheets or felt like material.
For vehicles and yard equipment it doesn't matter if someone else makes the filter they all made out of similar materials after market don't appear to be better than OEM.
I have even gone so far as to RTV the filter in place on yard equipment but dirt still gets in, so it's very unlikely it's getting around the filter.
The yard implements in question spit some 2stroke oil back on the air filter during start up and shutdown so they stay kind of oily.
With the Hyundai/kia air filter I sprayed them down with wd40 to catch more dirt, which it does but dirt still gets through.
Should I switch to K&N air filter oil?
Should I try to add a layer of foam?
Add more layers of felt?
I'm just trying to get them to be almost as good as any cheap paper air filter.

What outdoor power equipment is Hyundai/Kia? I've never seen 2 stroke mix get spit onto the oil filter?

I have little to go on beyond your description.
I suggest getting a more substantial filter in a larger size and cut it down to cover your service filter and RTV it in place.

What outdoor power equipment is Hyundai/Kia? I've never seen 2 stroke mix get spit onto the oil filter?
Hyundai and kia use air filters in their cars that look like they're made of felt.
New echo and redmax toro yard equipment look like they use somewhere between felt and used dryer sheets.
I turn 2 stroke stuff off withghr choke. That way it's ready to go next time.

Last edited:
I have little to go on beyond your description.
I suggest getting a more substantial filter in a larger size and cut it down to cover your service filter and RTV it in place.
There's not room for a larger filter. In the Hyundai I might be able to get an aftermarket intake, but it would be oiled cotton and draw hot air from underneath the hood, so I could probably buy a worse air filter setup for few hundred dollars.

Yeah my old echo made about 15 years ago has a paper air filter too. Like it or not least some of their new stuff uses a dryer sheet air filter.
Mine is 3 years old.
1695166392262.jpg

Depending on the model of equipment you have, there are some o-rings people use to help everything seal better. I know on the CS-590 Echo chainsaw there is a kit to put an o-ring where the securing "bolt" goes to keep fine dust out.

Back