What is my Honda Pilot engine's REAL problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hounds

The dealer's $750 offer sounds like a reasonable compromise to me. (Actually, it sounds like a roaring good deal, but let's call it a compromise so we can move on.)

I believe the sum the dealer charged me for this work was the retail price right out of their book, except for a whoppong $14 credit. If they were doing me any favors I bet they would have noted it.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Tortuga
Merkava_4, I don't think you need to jump all over Adam over this. If you don't want to read the pages and pages of this thread, then simply scroll past it. I am glad that Adam took the time to outline the problem he's had; it's provided a lot of good info. I own a Honda with the same engine and it has certainly educated me.

In regards to him ignoring the dealer's/manufacturer's recommendation, if you spend that much money on a new vehichle, shouldn't you be able to trust their maintenance recommendations? Looks like the MM is far too aggressive for this Honda and or a better type oil should be specified. Hopefully, his story here can help someone avoid the same problem. I know it's helped me; I won't be following the MM with my vehichle and I will be using a syn-blend or full-syn oil in my iVTEC engine from now on.

Thanks Adam, for sharing your experience.

NO!! If I spend that kind of money on a car, I'm going to change the oil when ... I ... want to. And I don't mean to jump all over Adam. I certainly did not mean for my post to sound like that. I just think it's important for people who are reading this thread to know what the consequences are for not changing your oil. We've all made mistakes that are costly. I've made some costly mistakes too. But I think it's important, if for no other reason than a person's mental health, to own up to one's mistake and move on.

Some comments. The manufacturers OCI "recommendations" (all they are) have been extended dramatically in recent years. The entirely hands off-ers solely relying on the ‘‘OIL LIFE’’, ‘‘CHECK ENGINE OIL LEVEL’’, ‘‘SERVICE DUE SOON’’ (under 15% on the OLM) and ‘‘SERVICE PAST DUE’’ (appears if the OLM is 0 or below) Maintenance Minder indicators may be in greater peril of engine failure than they were with the 3k OCI.

Example: With age, the majority of engines start burning some oil. While going low may not seize the engine or set off any idiot lights, the oil life will degrade more rapidly than it would full. The contaminants become less diluted, more concentrated. Less oil cycles more often, so its hotter, less time cooling away from the engine. While it may not be hot enough to make the oil flash, its stressing the oil's additive pack, shortening its life span. Running a top tier synthetic will help but will suffer the same fate if oil levels are not monitored manually.

Notes from the 2009 Pilot service manual:
- The "Maintence minder" computer appears to be in complete control of maintenance schedule. No mention of actual miles for OCI's, tranny fluid changes, coolant changes, etc.
- The "Maintence minder" indicator flashes with maintenance schedules (A or B). Again, no actual numbers for fluid change intervals.
- Owner’s Maintenance Checks - "You should check the following items at the specified intervals. If you are unsure of how to perform any check, turn to the appropriate page listed. Engine oil level Check every time you fill the fuel tank. Engine coolant level Check the radiator reserve tank every time you fill the fuel tank. Automatic transmission Check the fluid level monthly". Thats all I could see in 581 pages for manual intervention.
- 4.5 qt capacity is rather small for a v6 to begin with, making oil level more important than engines larger capacity for the reasons stated above.

Opinion: Adam should not be liable whether he checked his fluids every gas fill or not because..
- Honda has created a scenario where the owner is reliant on algorithms and idiot lights in place of an actual maintenance schedule.
- Honda made it more difficult to self maintain the vehicle by not disclosing actual fluid change miles intervals, increasing the chances of a visit to the service bay.
- Oil capacity does not match the engine displacement or maintenance minder algorithms. If that engine was down only a quart, 3+ quarts would be responsible for lubrication, cooling, and cleaning. Insufficient for the displacement and other options like VCM.
- Lack of information required to manually maintain the vehicle properly.

Last edited:
Few posters have alluded that there seems to be some defect either in manufacturing (less widespread) or in design (more widespread). Even the immaculate rear bank has scored cam lobe at 90K and that is not right.

Subsequent 3K oil changes would control the cooking of the front bank but that would still not control the scoring or pitting of the cam lobe.

I also noted Adam's somewhat lukewarm impression after the repairs i.e. the vehicle now behaves as it did when it had 75K miles on it i.e. just before the onset of the top end noise. He did not come out and said that engine sounds and feels like brand new again.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Tortuga
Merkava_4, I don't think you need to jump all over Adam over this. If you don't want to read the pages and pages of this thread, then simply scroll past it. I am glad that Adam took the time to outline the problem he's had; it's provided a lot of good info. I own a Honda with the same engine and it has certainly educated me.

In regards to him ignoring the dealer's/manufacturer's recommendation, if you spend that much money on a new vehichle, shouldn't you be able to trust their maintenance recommendations? Looks like the MM is far too aggressive for this Honda and or a better type oil should be specified. Hopefully, his story here can help someone avoid the same problem. I know it's helped me; I won't be following the MM with my vehichle and I will be using a syn-blend or full-syn oil in my iVTEC engine from now on.

Thanks Adam, for sharing your experience.

NO!! If I spend that kind of money on a car, I'm going to change the oil when ... I ... want to. And I don't mean to jump all over Adam. I certainly did not mean for my post to sound like that. I just think it's important for people who are reading this thread to know what the consequences are for not changing your oil. We've all made mistakes that are costly. I've made some costly mistakes too. But I think it's important, if for no other reason than a person's mental health, to own up to one's mistake and move on.

I certainly agree with Merkava's last statement. As noted before in this string, I change my oil in my other vehicles at least every 5,000 miles with synthetic oil. But many auto manufacturers do not agree, and some of them are quite adamant about it. So I believe the bigger question is who is the consumer at large to trust? I trusted by dealer, who is supposed to be the authority on my vehicle. It easy to say in hindsight that was a big mistake, but much more difficult for those drivers who are driving cars that seem to run fine.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
- Honda has created a scenario where the owner is reliant on algorithms and idiot lights in place of an actual maintenance schedule.

I agree 100%, and I think this is unfortunate. There is no "backup" to the maintenance minder system, no printed information giving you any CLUE as to what the intervals are. For example, is it going to recommend an ATF change on the next service interval, or do I have six more service intervals to go before it will? This is why I make my own intervals. 5,000 miles on the oil, 15,000 miles on a 3 quart ATF drain/fill, 30,000 miles on transfer case and rear differential fluid, etc.

- Honda made it more difficult to self maintain the vehicle by not disclosing actual fluid change miles intervals, increasing the chances of a visit to the service bay.

I don't think it's more difficult to self-maintain the vehicle, but it is difficult -- or impossible -- to try to predict and budget for upcoming expenditures. You can self-maintain the vehicle in any way you please. The maintenance minder doesn't change that. But if you are relying on it, you cannot anticipate the next service.

- Oil capacity does not match the engine displacement or maintenance minder algorithms. If that engine was down only a quart, 3+ quarts would be responsible for lubrication, cooling, and cleaning. Insufficient for the displacement and other options like VCM.

This engine has a relatively small sump. In fact, my 2.4L K24 takes more oil on an oil change than my 3.5L J35 does.

Still, if the oil actually does get low, it is clearly the owner's responsibility to correct that. As the owner's manual does say, and as every owner's manual has said for decades, check the oil at every gasoline fill up. So the owner absolutely is responsible/liable for this action. And unlike some other manufacturers, Honda vehicles are still incredibly easy to maintain yourself. You actually CAN check the engine oil and drain/fill it yourself. You actually CAN check the transmission fluid and drain/fill yourself. Honda has, so far at least, avoided what other manufacturers have done in removing some of these DIY checks from the car. Opening the hood on Hondas actually enables you to perform DIY maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Adam_in_NH
I trusted by dealer, who is supposed to be the authority on my vehicle. It easy to say in hindsight that was a big mistake, but much more difficult for those drivers who are driving cars that seem to run fine.

You not only trusted your dealer, but you followed the owner's manual; you trusted Honda. What happened to your vehicle is NOT your fault. You were doing as Honda told you to do.

What happened to your vehicle is, in my opinion, a combination of possible manufacturing problems (like the rear bank cam lobes being somewhat worn as well) and a service interval that was not appropriate (too long) for the equipment. It would be nice if Honda would chip in for some of the repairs, but that's water under the bridge now. What will matter now is how you maintain it going forward. Your previously-disclosed choice of oil and oil change interval sounds very appropriate for me, and I'm betting your engine will stay deposit free for as long as you own it.

I'm with the OP on this one.

Running by dealer recommendation and the cars maintenance minder system is about the best an uninformed owner can afford to do.

People saying "you should know better", on what was the OP supposed to base this knowledge?

Originally Posted By: cchase
I'm with the OP on this one.

Running by dealer recommendation and the cars maintenance minder system is about the best an uninformed owner can afford to do.

People saying "you should know better", on what was the OP supposed to base this knowledge?

I'm with the OP too. It's easy to say after the fact what the OP should have done. He put his faith in Honda quality and the OLM. Funny thing is even people coming here to learn can also be swayed by many of the heated discussions here about how great the OLM is. The OLM is fantastic, if you don't have a problem like Adam did. For people like me, and many others its something we ignore. I bet some people reading this thread who use the OLM, or are on the fence about it, are giving the OLM some second thoughts.

One more thing I was itching to say but didn't in prior post. I work in IT sales and service. The profit margin on the hardware is small, the real money is service and support. Get the customer dependent on service by automating everything = $$$chaching! Apply that to the maintenance minder and lack of real milestones and hmm...

Last edited:
One more thing I was itching to say but didn't in prior post. I work in IT sales and service. The profit margin on the hardware is small, the real money is service and support. Get the customer dependent on service by automating everything = $$$chaching!

True, but trigger that OLM to go off sooner and those customers that go to the dealer will be going more frequently. The only downside is the engine might last longer.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
One more thing I was itching to say but didn't in prior post. I work in IT sales and service. The profit margin on the hardware is small, the real money is service and support. Get the customer dependent on service by automating everything = $$$chaching!

True, but trigger that OLM to go off sooner and those customers that go to the dealer will be going more frequently. The only downside is the engine might last longer.
27.gif

Your punching holes in my conspiracy theory
31.gif

There's a question in this thread that was largely ignored. It was posted by Pablo and I pointed it out: Why was the OP's OLM going off at 10K or more when most of these vehicle OLM's tend to trip between 5000 and 8000 miles. I think there is some fudging going on in this thread IMHO...

Out here...

Since the other lobes appeared OK on the front cam, WHO is to say this was a oil related failure??? If it were oil, I'd expect at least a few if not all lobes on that cam to have at some sign of failure... The engine design that allows continuous operation on the front cylinders is no doubt the largest contributing factor...

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

27.gif

Your punching holes in my conspiracy theory
31.gif

Nope, telling it like I see it.

Its all a numbers game, sooner or later with mass production of any motor there is gonna be one that breaks/fails at a certain point in time. Could be sooner--hopefully--"under warranty" or the later--"Not under warranty." Just like big Manufactoring companys like mine that work 3 shifts 365 days a year. There is sooner or later gonna be an accident/injury. NUMBERS GAME!!! Its Life!!! I personally think that was a cheap fix for Adam, lets move forward---enough of the ditto this and ditto that!!!

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
There's a question in this thread that was largely ignored. It was posted by Pablo and I pointed it out: Why was the OP's OLM going off at 10K or more when most of these vehicle OLM's tend to trip between 5000 and 8000 miles. I think there is some fudging going on in this thread IMHO...

Out here...

Maybe his driving habits allow the OLM to call for a longer OCI. The Honda Trav worked on had a similar fate, probably with different driving conditions and the OLM triggering at a different time/mile reading. I have no reason in the world to believe the OP would be fudging numbers. Sometimes its hard to believe a car company, or system someone believes in failed. I think that's the case here. JMO

As a side note Adam was called a Troll early on, yet he produced pictures to back up his story. Why is it so hard for some people to believe Honda might have screwed up, and that an OLM is not perfect for everyone?

BTW Nick this isn't pointed at you, just some general observations from reading this thread.

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Since the other lobes appeared OK on the front cam, WHO is to say this was a oil related failure??? If it were oil, I'd expect at least a few if not all lobes on that cam to have at some sign of failure... The engine design that allows continuous operation on the front cylinders is no doubt the largest contributing factor...

That is what I have been wondering, unless there was a blocked oil hole in the rocker or what ever supplies oil to the cam lobes.

When I bought my Odyssey earlier this year my initial impression was that the OLM was a great new piece of technology. I'm clearly in the ignore it camp now. The OLM allows for extended intervals when long periods of freeway driving is done, and that is when the engine is in "ECO" mode the most, which is probably some of the most severe service for this engine.

Adam's commute was mainly freeway miles at 75 MPH, no doubt this engine spent a good amount of time in 3 cylinder ECO mode and that most likely accounts for the MM system extending the OC intervals.

Why on earth would you go by what the Honda dealer says or by what some electronic Maintenance Minder gadget says? Who's car is it, the Honda dealer's or yours? Did Honda give you the car or did you pay for it? If you payed for the car with your own money, then you should be able to change the oil whenever you want to. As far as I'm concerned, changing the oil every 9-10k is the same as NEVER. This is basic stuff. It's like 1+1=2 and 2+2=4. You keep your oil changed and you change the oil when COMMON SENSE tells you to. Not when the dealer tells you to or when some gadget tells you to. Oil these days is expensive; I get that, but replacement engines are many times more expensive than oil is. I'd rather waste a little oil and save the engine instead of the other way around. A 3700 mile OCI would have saved your engine. Is that a little too often? Maybe, but the engine would have survived and it probably would have been pretty clean too.

^What a crock of [censored]!!! Everywhere on this board, advice is given to follow the manufacturer's specs/requirements for oil weight, type, viscosity, and OCI. Everywhere on this board are such recommendations given out like candy. And now, someone follows that advice, AND THE ADVICE OF THE MFR AND DEALER, and now he is being taken to task for it because the advice was wrong!!!! What a crock of bovine excrement!!!

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

Out here...

I don't think so.. most report likely have 50/50 city and highway, vs OP who is on highway most of the time. I have an 09 MDX and the OLM does not move at all when I take long and steady trip. or, either there is a faulty programming in OLM, or sensor that feed the wrong info to OLM, which contribute to the abnormally long oci reporting by OLM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back