What extended mileage motor oil and filter do you recommend?

The question I have is...when I buy Mobil1 EP, over regular Mobil1...one says good for 20,000 miles and the other days good for 10,000 miles. But how much better is one over the other? What separates the two?
Well the only information available to make some distinction between the two is based on the Seq. IIIH test where M1 EP scored 20x better than the industry limit for viscosity increase, whereas regular Mobil 1 was 10x. The price difference is so small I always opt for the EP. It has greater oxidation resistance.

You'll notice all the other off-shelf oils only claim 10x better on the IIIH, so Mobil 1 EP is double that.

IMG_4058.jpeg

Last edited:
Without year/make/model/engine/viscosity/location/yearly miles driven/average trip length(time or miles).... I can't make any recommendation.

Replace seals or gaskets that leak.

Most forums are overwhelmed with bots trolls etc. It takes much to be treated like a human on the web. Earn your humanity.

Step 1... don't start a thread that you won't participate in. Do answer or question comments others make.
Step 2... don't start numerous threads over nothing... use the search engine.

You guys wouldn't even consider Pennzoil's oils?

...I watched the ProjectFarm channel and he tested Pennzoil Ultra Platinum as the best. I just figured that maybe their Extended Mileage is also.

Mobil 1 EP or Ep high mileage and a Fram ultra filter is my top go to. It's easy to find, goes on sale quite often here and generally a top quality oil.
What about Fram Endurance, which is 99% @ 20μ

Also, you wouldn't consider Wix XP?

...I watched the ProjectFarm channel and he tested Pennzoil Ultra Platinum as the best. I just figured that maybe their Extended Mileage is also.
There is nothing wrong with the Pennzoil synthetic oils, but they are not intended for intervals beyond the manufacturer's recommendation.

I haven't seen the Fram endurance where I live so far, and the Fram ultra carries the same 99% at 20 microns. Seems the endurance will last longer but I dont run my oil that long between changes anyways so not sure if there is much benefit to me that way. I have nothing against Wiz filters but the Fram ultra is rated at a higher efficiency than the six and more easily available locally to me

What about Fram TG same efficiency but $6 cheaper!

As someone fairly new myself - I wouldn't bring up project farm here - at least regarding anything to do with oil.

I don't think anyone would say Penzoil is bad - even those of us that don't use it (I don't use it). Its just not the best in most opinions.

As for filters - I would go read through the filter section. The problem with filters right now is all the filter manufactures have consolidated. Fram was purchased by First Brands who also own Champion Labs - so their product lines are changing. The FRAM Endurance seems like it might be good because its wire backed, but some of the other Fram filters are having issues with wavy pleats, so there is some overall concern with Fram right now.

Wix was purchased by Mann & Hummel, and there also changing. The XP was tested here years ago and its efficiency rating was terrible. I have a drawer full of the standard Wix filters I used to use - the standard black can. I am hesitant to run them since the louvers don't look that open to me.

How many miles do you plan to use your filter?

As someone fairly new myself - I wouldn't bring up project farm here - at least regarding anything to do with oil.

I don't think anyone would say Penzoil is bad - even those of us that don't use it (I don't use it). Its just not the best in most opinions.

As for filters - I would go read through the filter section. The problem with filters right now is all the filter manufactures have consolidated. Fram was purchased by First Brands who also own Champion Labs - so their product lines are changing. The FRAM Endurance seems like it might be good because its wire backed, but some of the other Fram filters are having issues with wavy pleats, so there is some overall concern with Fram right now.

Wix was purchased by Mann & Hummel, and there also changing. The XP was tested here years ago and its efficiency rating was terrible. I have a drawer full of the standard Wix filters I used to use - the standard black can. I am hesitant to run them since the louvers don't look that open to me.

How many miles do you plan to use your filter?
Thank you for the overall "picture". I haven't been as involved as in the past, caring for an elderly family member and working on spreadsheets most of the day, takes a chunk of the time.

Driving primarily in the city, as far as mileage, I will double check, but I think it is even below 5,000 over 1.5 to 2 yrs.

Driving primarily in the city, as far as mileage, I will double check, but I think it is even below 5,000 over 1.5 to 2 yrs.
For under 5K miles you can likely get away with just about any oil filter. Pick one with good construction - which seems maybe to be the Premium Guard or one of its variants. You could maybe even just go OEM - what cars are these going on?

However, I will say that if the 5K is mostly very short trips, then you should drive it further at least once a month to get it to full operating temperature, or your most certainly going to have condensation or dilution problems, not to mention carboning up your cats.

Back