What extended mileage motor oil and filter do you recommend?

If you are having leaks try a high mileage oil like red bottle Maxlife, Havoline or Quaker State All mileage in these vehicles. Or if you have oil on hand that is not high mileage try the Liquid Moly Motor Oil Saver

Last edited:
One additional question as I came to a review on Amazon. Do you guys use magnets with oil filters?

"
Since I use neodymium, high temp magnets, on all my oil filters anyway, I’m considering stepping down to a middle of the road, oil filter with better Flow and a slight decrease in filtration.
Doing so, I will save a few bucks, and gain additional protection at startup.
I wish I could hear what others thought about the topic.
The summary is; I have used Fram filters for a few decades now, and have gotten over 250,000 miles on a vehicle without having any oil leaks or mechanical issues when oil changes are appropriately and timely completed.
That statement is, probably;
the Ultimate evidence!"

Also, what is a good source of the filters, Walmart or Amazon, since some retailers have reviews of used items being sold?

I buy filters at Walmart- Fram or Supertech for truck, Motorcraft for the Expedition but Honda gets a dealer Honda filter. Will be trying Fram again for the Honda at next oci though

What about Fram Endurance, which is 99% @ 20μ

Also, you wouldn't consider Wix XP?
Yes to the first question, no to the second. Fram Endurance is 99% at 20 microns, the Wix XP is effectively 62% or something like that at 20 microns. Search @ZeeOSix posts on it.

Honda Civic EX 1999, has about 160k, and this one is leaking motor oil from gaskets. So I am here asking for your collective wisdom on what could reduce the leaks, a motor oil with the extended mileage claim, or an additive that could work?

Toyota Camry 2011, it has about 25k, and Ford Explorer 2010, but it has 230k and is also leaking oil.

Yes, very much appreciate this heads-up,

would leaving it idle for 30 mins do the trick or it does need to be driven?
If you have significant leaks, fix the leak. If you don’t fix the leak, don’t even bother using M1EP or other top-tier oils, waste of money. Use Valvoline MaxLife in a grade heavier than what is called for, so at least a 5w30.

Looks like a 5w30 would work across your fleet and simplify your shelf stock. 👍🏻

Yes to the first question, no to the second. Fram Endurance is 99% at 20 microns, the Wix XP is effectively 62% or something like that at 20 microns. Search @ZeeOSix posts on it.
Thank you, I saw some youtube tear downs of Fram Ultra/Endurance and some comments mentioned restricted flow, and drop in pressure from Fram until they switched to Wix.

Have you seen this?

Thank you, I saw some youtube tear downs of Fram Ultra/Endurance and some comments mentioned restricted flow, and drop in pressure from Fram until they switched to Wix.

Have you seen this?
Most people on YouTube don't understand oil filters or engine oiling systems. Fram Ultra is not flow restrictive - Ascent's testing results posted in this forum proves that. And I'd bet the Endurance isn't very flow restictive either. When talking about engines and a positive displacement oil pump, the flow is not restricted (meaning the flow in not reduced), but instead the oil pump just puts out a little more pressure to force the same volume through the system.

Last edited:
Current price of Castrol EP where I live lol.
I'll never buy this stuff when it's got nothing on Mobil 1🧐
20230624_214653.jpg

I’m considering stepping down to a middle of the road, oil filter with better Flow and a slight decrease in filtration.
An oil filter can be high efficiency and flow very well, which means low delta-p across the filter. Just because a filter is lower efficiency doesn't make it less restrictive to flow. Oil filter efficiency is more complicated than that. That lower efficiency filter may actually be more flow restrictive. But the oil pump should be able to overcome that and still flow the same volume. That's the beauty of a positive displacement ( PD) oil pump, and why they are used on engines.

A "better flowing" filter does not make more flow go through the filter and engine if the PD oil pump is not in pressure relief. It's actually pretty hard to make a PD oil pump hit pressure relief. You would have to rev the engine near red line with cold thick oil to make an oil pump hit pressure relief.

The PD oil pump ... it's a very misunderstood component of an engine oiling system.

Last edited:
Most people on YouTube don't understand oil filters or engine oiling systems. Fram Ultra is not flow restrictive - Ascent's testing results posted in this forum proves that. And I'd bet the Endurance isn't very flow restictive either. When talking about engines and a positive displacement oil pump, the flow is not restricted (meaning the flow in not reduced), but instead the oil pump just puts out a little more pressure to force the same volume through the system.
Thank you for your insights. I found his video, M1, and then Fram and your comments that there is only a 1 psi difference in restrictiveness. He did not test Wix XP though. So which filter would you or you already use?
I found this video
but not Ascent's

Back