What extended mileage motor oil and filter do you recommend?

OP - about 5 years ago PUPPP was widely considered the gold standard here. The community has moved on...... When I first joined in the mid 2000's with a yahoo account, Castrol was pretty widely favored. I lost that account :(

This forum is like a fraternity. Most of my frat bros were cool. There were half a dozen loud ones that probably grew up and got a bunch of tats and became the 'foremost internet expert' in their field. They probably like to post GIF's and tell folks that "YOUR SHIZ IS DOOMED BECAUSE......"

For under 5K miles you can likely get away with just about any oil filter. Pick one with good construction - which seems maybe to be the Premium Guard or one of its variants. You could maybe even just go OEM - what cars are these going on?

However, I will say that if the 5K is mostly very short trips, then you should drive it further at least once a month to get it to full operating temperature, or your most certainly going to have condensation or dilution problems, not to mention carboning up your cats.
Honda Civic EX 1999, has about 160k, and this one is leaking motor oil from gaskets. So I am here asking for your collective wisdom on what could reduce the leaks, a motor oil with the extended mileage claim, or an additive that could work?

Toyota Camry 2011, it has about 25k, and Ford Explorer 2010, but it has 230k and is also leaking oil.

Yes, very much appreciate this heads-up,
should drive it further at least once a month to get it to full operating temperature
would leaving it idle for 30 mins do the trick or it does need to be driven?

This forum is like a fraternity. The new guys get hazed to either toughen 'em up or weed 'em out.
or that is the place for mods to do their job or do they tend to look the other way here?

If you "weed" out people who are not "trained" to tolerate "haze", the forum, or for that matter any public place loses people who think differently and the place just ends up a big groupthink, IMO, but that thought is for another thread.

Thank you for the heads up, is it better or compared to the one Scotty Kilmer recommended ATP AT-205 ?
LM MOS would be considered better as most say ATP is basically brake fluid. I like Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver for engines a lot and have 3 cans on the shelf waiting for use when needed, Napa sale for $9/can. I have used ATP in the past in 2 engines with a neutral affect and had better success with a high mileage oil. Now I do like ATP in differentials a lot. Hope this helps.

LM MOS would be considered better as most say ATP is basically brake fluid. I like Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver for engines a lot and have 3 cans on the shelf waiting for use when needed, Napa sale for $9/can. I have used ATP in the past in 2 engines with a neutral affect and had better success with a high mileage oil. Now I do like ATP in differentials a lot. Hope this helps.
Thank you, I never heard of Liqui Moly, how does it compare to LUCAS OIL High Mileage Oil Stabilizer?
Do you use Liqui Moly with every oil change?

I was looking at Fram Ultra oil filters and it seems Fram has 2 types for Honda Civic 99.

Does anyone know what can cause this difference?

Also, what do you think of combining the same viscosity of motor oil from different manufacturers?
I have some motor oil left from another brand and consider adding M1 Extended oil, can you combine/mix the two?
Thank you

Thank you, I never heard of Liqui Moly, how does it compare to LUCAS OIL High Mileage Oil Stabilizer?
I use MOS every oci, fixed a front cam seal on my kids old Mercedes. Didn't solve but really helped on a rear main on my old Dakota. Use it as a preventative in other vehicles, all older HM vehicles. Could by HM oils but I started stocking up on Euro oils, some clearance sales and they were not hm variety. I don't know anything about the Lucas as I have never used it, sorry.

I use MOS every oci, fixed a front cam seal on my kids old Mercedes. Didn't solve but really helped on a rear main on my old Dakota. Use it as a preventative in other vehicles, all older HM vehicles. Could by HM oils but I started stocking up on Euro oils, some clearance sales and they were not hm variety. I don't know anything about the Lucas as I have never used it, sorry.
Thank you

Also, what do you think of combining the same viscosity of motor oil from different manufacturers?
I have some motor oil left from another brand and consider adding M1 Extended oil, can you combine/mix the two?
Thank you
Some folks frown on it but I could care less. Now any exotic car/new expensive one I'd rather not but just in my over loved older vehicles is fine.

Some folks frown on it but I could care less. Now any exotic car/new expensive one I'd rather not but just in my over loved older vehicles is fine.
Thank you
Like Toyota Camry 2011, Honda Civic 1999 and Ford Explorer 2010?

would leaving it idle for 30 mins do the trick or it does need to be driven?
Long idle times cause other problems and generally don't get the oil very warm anyway. If you don't want to do the longer drive then I would change the oil annually. What is a typical drive for these vehicles. Is it under 10 minutes per cycle?

Does anyone know what can cause this difference?
What are the part numbers? Is one a short can and one a long can? If so - get the long can.

Thank you
I would just use it up as a topper, since there leaking anyway.

or that is the place for mods to do their job or do they tend to look the other way here?

If you "weed" out people who are not "trained" to tolerate "haze", the forum, or for that matter any public place loses people who think differently and the place just ends up a big groupthink, IMO, but that thought is for another thread.
The mods will tolerate a certain level of shenanigans, but bickering/attacking another member/lewd posts etc get threads locked or posts/threads deleted real quick. I didn’t really experience any “hazing” when I first joined, people may be quick to point out of you post something wrong (or post a meme poking fun) but overall this is one of the best online communities I’ve ever come across.
Thank you
You’ll be totally fine doing that. Had Valvoline and Pennzoil in my van at the same time at one point lol
Lucas oil stabilizer is really just a thickener/tackifier and dilutes the additives of the engine oil. You’re better off just using a higher viscosity oil.

The mods will tolerate a certain level of shenanigans, but bickering/attacking another member/lewd posts etc get threads locked or posts/threads deleted real quick. I didn’t really experience any “hazing” when I first joined, people may be quick to point out of you post something wrong (or post a meme poking fun) but overall this is one of the best online communities I’ve ever come across.

You’ll be totally fine doing that. Had Valvoline and Pennzoil in my van at the same time at one point lol

Lucas oil stabilizer is really just a thickener/tackifier and dilutes the additives of the engine oil. You’re better off just using a higher viscosity oil.
"this is one of the best online communities I’ve ever come across" Thank you so much for sharing. I am glad I find out about this community.

Yes, I know ideally you wouldn't want to combine oils from different manufacturers but I just have some left.

"You’re better off just using a higher viscosity oil." This is an interesting idea, I have heard this a long time ago people do this.

For Honda Civic 99 with 136K and Ford Explorer 2010, 210K, would you go higher than 5/30 ?

"this is one of the best online communities I’ve ever come across" Thank you so much for sharing. I am glad I find out about this community.

Yes, I know ideally you wouldn't want to combine oils from different manufacturers but I just have some left.

"You’re better off just using a higher viscosity oil." This is an interesting idea, I have heard this a long time ago people do this.

For Honda Civic 99 with 136K and Ford Explorer 2010, 210K, would you go higher than 5/30 ?
If they’re not burning oil and you’re not beating on them, I wouldn’t.

5w30 is fine

Back