What extended mileage motor oil and filter do you recommend?

I know Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is like a gold standard, but what about high mileage? I have 2 cars and the gaskets do leak. Or could an additive be used? I drive minimal mileage in the city and usually change the oil 1 in 1 or 2 yrs. It still looks clean.
Also, what filter would you recommend, Wix ?

Thank you

I use Mobil 1 High Mileage in my older Ford pickup. (10W-40). It has helped cut down on the leaking considerably. (Leaky rear main). But someone here told me there are better high mileage oils on the market, that contain more of the "gasket swelling stuff" in them.

Perhaps they will chime in with the brand. I have forgotten. Because I still have a good supply of Mobil 1 on hand.

I don’t think anyone considers Pennzoil Ultra the gold standard in much of anything, never mind an extended mile oil (although I’m sure it’s great oil).

For extended oil I usually buy Mobil1 EP, and for the filter I usually buy a Fram ultra synthetic filter. Both easily available to me at Walmart. There’s probably better options out there...Amsoil/HPL, but for off the shelf oil there’s Mobil1 EP/Castrol Extended Performance. Even Super Tech offers an extended oil now. But Pennzoil Ultra is not an extended oil.

Add me to the Pennz is not a standard crowd. I used Penz Ultra 5-30 in my 17 3.6 OB with no issue but I'm back to Mobil 1 now. For an EP oil I do also like Mobil 1 EP. Have had great results with Mobil 1, quality filter, & consistent OCI's.

You could try Mobil 1 EP High Mileage, Some people report seepages going away with Mobil 1 0W40 which is a good extended drain oil, for filters these days if you're going the distance I'd go with a Fram Endurance from Wallyworld.

I know Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is like a gold standard, but what about high mileage? I have 2 cars and the gaskets do leak. Or could an additive be used? I drive minimal mileage in the city and usually change the oil 1 in 1 or 2 yrs. It still looks clean.
Also, what filter would you recommend, Wix ?

Thank you
It's obvious you're new here . :cool:

I assume they're old so i'd use any of these if i didn't want to dump money into them. You didn't mention what oil you were using and how much they leak though. As for the filter wix is good.

It's obvious you're new here . :cool:
You joined in 2019... so you are new here as well. Do yourself a favor and show a little more kindness.

As for a recommendation for the OP... Opinions on that question are going to be far and wide. One guy will love Pennzoil and hate Mobil 1... and vice versa... Then you will hear from the Amsoil crowd, and the rest of the fans of boutique oils.

For me, I was alarmed when I heard from a Toyota mechanic of 26 years, where he stated that nearly all of the engine problems and failures were extended OCI's, in his opinion. Even with Toyota recommending 10k on some of their vehicles, he thinks the evidence supports to never exceed 7.5k. Now that is one guy's opinion, but it caught my attention.

In all my gassers, I am doing 5-7.5k OCI's. But in my diesels, I am going 10k, because of the large sumps. For instance, my EcoDiesel takes 11 quarts of Rotella. I use Pennzoil Euro L in my wife's Mercedes BlueTec and do 10k OCI's as well. In my new 2021 Ford Godzilla V8 I am running Pennzoil Euro L 5w30, I have been running 5k OCI's, but am extending to 7.5k this fill (10K is the Ford recommendation).

I really like the Pen Euro L 5w30, as it has an HTHS higher than 3.5 and it should rate high as an extended drain oil. Plus, 5 quarts at Wally World are only $24.

Don’t use an additive. If you plan on keeping these cars long term then replace the gaskets.

In the interim, any major brand of high mileage oil will be fine. Get the one that’s on sale.

You joined in 2019... so you are new here as well. Do yourself a favor and show a little more kindness.

As for a recommendation for the OP... Opinions on that question are going to be far and wide. One guy will love Pennzoil and hate Mobil 1... and vice versa... Then you will hear from the Amsoil crowd, and the rest of the fans of boutique oil.
I was not being unkind at all . You made my point for me . When you ask an open ended question like that you will get so many different answers that you will suffer from advice overload .

Ultra used to be a readily available leader. Not so much any more, especially since it's not as readily available as it used to be IMO. There are plenty of readily available options that are great.

With respect to extended vs not extended, that is so specific to the engine and driving routine. People swear Pennzoil Platinum is not an extended use oil, however, it performed fine (UOA confirmed) in my Ram with ~10k intervals. Was it the best choice? Not really. Was it a suitable choice? Yes, it met Chryslers spec and is synthetic where the OLM probably assumes conventional.

How much usage/leakage are we talking about? Might take some experimentation over several OCIs to find the one that works best in your situation.

If you are referring to oils that have "extended" length drain intervals, my go to is the M1 EP series. I am partial to the M1 filter as well or the Fram Ultra.

If you are referring to the "high" mileage style oils (for use in vehicles with high mileage) I do not have a recommendation as I have never used them.

Pennzoil themselves have said their oils are recommended for any manufacturer stated interval. I don't know of any North American manufacturer suggesting more then 10K miles or 16K KM.

Pennzoil themselves have said their oils are recommended for any manufacturer stated interval. I don't know of any North American manufacturer suggesting more then 10K miles or 16K KM.

YIKES! I stand corrected.

Any extended mileage oil from m1, Castrol, etc will meet your needs along with an extended mileage filter such as Fram ultra or any German filter like a Mahle that is designed for European OLM based drain intervals.

Mobil 1 EP or Ep high mileage and a Fram ultra filter is my top go to. It's easy to find, goes on sale quite often here and generally a top quality oil.

Ultra used to be a readily available leader. Not so much any more, especially since it's not as readily available as it used to be IMO. There are plenty of readily available options that are great.

With respect to extended vs not extended, that is so specific to the engine and driving routine. People swear Pennzoil Platinum is not an extended use oil, however, it performed fine (UOA confirmed) in my Ram with ~10k intervals. Was it the best choice? Not really. Was it a suitable choice? Yes, it met Chryslers spec and is synthetic where the OLM probably assumes conventional.

How much usage/leakage are we talking about? Might take some experimentation over several OCIs to find the one that works best in your situation.
I feel the same way, when a manufacturer has an recommended interval of 10,000 miles the synthetic oils on the shelves (all of them) should be able to handle that 10,000 interval. Some, I’m sure better than others but they all should be able to meet recommended intervals from the manufacturer.

The question I have is...when I buy Mobil1 EP, over regular Mobil1...one says good for 20,000 miles and the other days good for 10,000 miles. But how much better is one over the other? What separates the two? And has anyone ever ran both for...let’s say 12,000 miles and tested and compared? I usually buy Mobil1 EP and run it for 10,000 miles. This time I bought the regular Mobil1 and intend to run it to 10,000 miles. I don’t think there will be a difference. And there shouldn’t be (I suppose). But I did save $12 bucks total🤣🤣

I feel the same way, when a manufacturer has an recommended interval of 10,000 miles the synthetic oils on the shelves (all of them) should be able to handle that 10,000 interval. Some, I’m sure better than others but they all should be able to meet recommended intervals from the manufacturer.

The question I have is...when I buy Mobil1 EP, over regular Mobil1...one says good for 20,000 miles and the other days good for 10,000 miles. But how much better is one over the other? What separates the two? And has anyone ever ran both for...let’s say 12,000 miles and tested and compared? I usually buy Mobil1 EP and run it for 10,000 miles. This time I bought the regular Mobil1 and intend to run it to 10,000 miles. I don’t think there will be a difference. And there shouldn’t be (I suppose). But I did save $12 bucks total🤣🤣

It's a fair point. People have been driving Porsches and BMWs in Europe with OLMs for 15k to 18k miles since the early 2000s on m1 0w40 or the likes.

Back