What extended mileage motor oil and filter do you recommend?

This is a link to the Ascent test data. If you want some more insight to oil filter testing, read this whole thread from page 1.

Post in thread 'Would you all like to see ISO 4548-12 Oil Filter Lab Testing Comparison, Efficiency & Capacity, Pressure vs Flow, Bubble Point, and Burst?' https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...ow-bubble-point-and-burst.334882/post-5789087

Thank you, will check. Did you end up selecting the one from the list?
I'm using the wire backed Ultra and Titanuim. Still have a few in my oil filter supply. After that, probably go with the Fram Endurance. It might be changed by that time, lol.

I'm using the wire backed Ultra and Titanuim. Still have a few in my oil filter supply. After that, probably go with the Fram Endurance. It might be changed by that time, lol.
Yes expect in a short time they will have the "Extended Endurance" $20! ie EE3717

Last edited:
Thank you, Ultra filters that you have, you probably purchased some time ago. I believe that I read some reviews that the current Ultra does not have wire backing, is this true? Since I do not have either Ultra or Endurance, I am trying to decide...which one would you pick if you had to buy it currently?

Thank you, Ultra filters that you have, you probably purchased some time ago. I believe that I read some reviews that the current Ultra does not have wire backing, is this true? Since I do not have either Ultra or Endurance, I am trying to decide...which one would you pick if you had to buy it currently?
Yes, the Ultras and Titaniums I have now are 1 to 3 years old. Stored well to preserve for use. If I was to go buy a new filter today, I'd probably just go with the Fram Endurance and use it for 2x OCIs to get some ROI out of it. Could go 3x OCIs depending on your OCI schedule.

Most of the new Ultra's don't have the backing, the exception being cartridges which the design and country of manufacture can vary wildly based on application and the larger diameter filters like the XG2, XG5, XG8A, and XG16 these filters all seem to have the wire backing, but I believe it's the new style media with a wire backing because Fram knows the new media is weak and would rip without any reinforcement in these deep pleat applications. The cartridges for example I believe the XG9018 is still being made with the same dual layer pink stuff it's always been made with but I still have a stash of them I got cheap from eBay so I haven't bought any in a while.

Yes, the Ultras and Titaniums I have now are 1 to 3 years old. Stored well to preserve for use. If I was to go buy a new filter today, I'd probably just go with the Fram Endurance and use it for 2x OCIs to get some ROI out of it. Could go 3x OCIs depending on your OCI schedule.
Thank you

Most of the new Ultra's don't have the backing, the exception being cartridges which the design and country of manufacture can vary wildly based on application and the larger diameter filters like the XG2, XG5, XG8A, and XG16 these filters all seem to have the wire backing, but I believe it's the new style media with a wire backing because Fram knows the new media is weak and would rip without any reinforcement in these deep pleat applications. The cartridges for example I believe the XG9018 is still being made with the same dual layer pink stuff it's always been made with but I still have a stash of them I got cheap from eBay so I haven't bought any in a while.
Thank you, good point

We've now seen the XG2 without the wire backing unfortunately. It looks like it just took longer for the big cans to migrate to the new media (without wire backing).

For Honda Civic 99 with 136K and Ford Explorer 2010, 210K, would you go higher than 5/30 ?
If they’re not burning oil and you’re not beating on them, I wouldn’t.

Suppose one's car is burning oil? I have a 2000 Civic with ~163K on it. I've never figured out how much, unfortunately; I just top the oil off frequently. I guess a ballpark figure would be 1 qt every 1000 or so miles.

Would ATP-205 be likely to help? Or would this liquid MOLY stuff be better?

A while back the service department at my dealer recommended adding BG MOA with an oil change. I tried it 2 or 3 times but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Would I be likely see a different when I use Valvoline 150K Maxlife for next oil change?

Back