what do you guy`s prefer mobil-1 5W-30 or 0W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PT1
It only makes a difference if you park in Santa's driveway or on the Moon.

Not really. Even at 32F there will be a difference, and a lot of people live in places where the temps drop quite a bit below 32F. Although in case of specific M1 0w-30 and M1 5w-30 products, the difference is in fact very minute as their viscosity at 40C and 100C is nearly identical.

As far as I can see, there are no downsides to using 0w-30 over 5w-30, so why not use 0w-30? With a full synthetic oil, I don't think VIIs are an issue.

From what I have gathered, the 0W has a higher quality basestock blend.
For that reason alone, I would choose the 0 over the 5, all else being equal.
I am right now on M1 5W-30 in one of my cars.
It will be getting M1 0W-30 in the next week or so.
The AFE was really cheap after MIR.
I have two 5 qt jugs of it, one of which is going in the Accord next week, the other to be used for, maybe, a friend.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Since my car starts perfectly fine at 7 degrees on 5W-30 PP, I bet Mobil 1 5W-30 would work just as well, so I'd go with that.

PP 5W-30 qualifies to be called a 0W-30. Not a good analogy.

Neither, they both suck.

THICK 0w-30 AFE with only A1 rating or M1 5w-30 with all the advertized wear issues and poor UOAs.

Engine noise not withstanding...

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Neither, they both suck.

THICK 0w-30 AFE with only A1 rating or M1 5w-30 with all the advertized wear issues and poor UOAs.

Engine noise not withstanding...

1234421132627.jpg.%5Broflposters.com%5D.myspace.jpg

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: MegaCorp
0W30 is always preffered to 5W30

By whom?

By anyone looking to reduce start up wear. I thought everyone knew that 90 percent of engine wear occurs during the startup period because oil is just too thick...

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: MegaCorp
0W30 is always preffered to 5W30

By whom?

By anyone looking to reduce start up wear. I thought everyone knew that 90 percent of engine wear occurs during the startup period because oil is just too thick...

you're assuming that at common ambient temperatures the 0w- is thinner than the 5w- which is a faulty one, IMO. Unless you've run the rheology of the oil at relevant temperatures, you do not know. Were not dealing with linear responses here that are easily interpolated/extrapolated.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
He's not trolling, his points are all COMPLETELY valid.

That Mobil1 "sucks" because it's "A1 rated," based on UOAs (which is almost useless for determining engine wear for the average consumer), and competitor's advertising?

Yeah, sorry. My bad. How could I ever insinuate trolling regarding such a factual post on a site with a pretension of posting based on actual evidence and a modicum of the scientific method is cherished over speculative, rampant fanboism or haterz.

Sorry if I take the word of people who've actually worked in industry--like Doug Hillery or Johnny--who actually know what they're talking about and have vast amounts of experience over internet halfwits in search of LOLz. Secondly, I think he's completely insincere and is throwing a troll-grenade in this thread to [censored] too while offline. He's entitled to his opinion--that all oils meeting only a European spec of ACEA A1, or, that meet a rigorous turbo specification, "suck" despite running in engines for 100,000s of miles and having a noted track record of keeping them very clean. But I'm entitled to my opinion--which is that uniformed, flame-bait nonsense posts of eighth-grade-level blanket statements really shouldn't be tolerated here..

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: RI_RS4
In general, the 5W30 oil will be more shear-stable and have lower deposit formation than the 0W30.

Not really, a 0W30 can only be had in a synthetic, so they are shear stable as they have little if any VI

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_0W-30.asp

Specifications and Approvals

Mobil 1 0W-30 meets or exceeds the following industry specifications:

ACEA A1

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_syntec_blend_usa.pdf

Castrol SYNTEC *BLEND* 5W-30 meets all requirements of the European ACEA A1 application

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_Castrol_EDGE.pdf

Castrol Edge meets or exceeds the following industry standards:

ACEA A5

http://www.castroledgeusa.com/

8X lower wear than Mobil 1 5w-30*

I have never used M1 0-30 but a good friend uses M1 5-30 with 10,000 miles OCIs with his 2000 Taurus. He now has 305,000 miles on the engine and it still remains clean, quite, and running well.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: RI_RS4
In general, the 5W30 oil will be more shear-stable and have lower deposit formation than the 0W30.

Not really, a 0W30 can only be had in a synthetic, so they are shear stable as they have little if any VI

0W-30 can be had in blends, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back