what do you guy`s prefer mobil-1 5W-30 or 0W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RLI has a BioSyn 0w-30, and they make their engine oils from synthetic base stocks mixed with plant-derived esters. If you consider that a blend, it's another example.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Neither, they both suck.

THICK 0w-30 AFE with only A1 rating or M1 5w-30 with all the advertized wear issues and poor UOAs.
Engine noise not withstanding...

+1
I never experienced worse and excessive cold (+10F) startup and warmup racket than with this mobil 1 AFE - Its coming out of the sump. Wasted my money. A servicable M1 oil?> M1R4T.
Some blame apportionment: Three ILSAC req/spec changes in ten years? Something bad's happening behind the curtain ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: RI_RS4
In general, the 5W30 oil will be more shear-stable and have lower deposit formation than the 0W30.

Not really, a 0W30 can only be had in a synthetic, so they are shear stable as they have little if any VI

a 10w-30 syn perhaps has no VII, but it has been somewhat established that the wider spread syn oils may still have VIIs.

0w-30 has a greater chance of VII than 5w-30, the wider the spread, the more robust a base stock is needed to meet it, or the more VII is required.

Doesnt mean that either shear anything like a dino oil will. Blouestream's point isnt necessarily relevant to syn 5w-30 vs syn 0w-30...

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Neither, they both suck.

THICK 0w-30 AFE with only A1 rating or M1 5w-30 with all the advertized wear issues and poor UOAs.
Engine noise not withstanding...

+1
I never experienced worse and excessive cold (+10F) startup and warmup racket than with this mobil 1 AFE - Its coming out of the sump. Wasted my money. A servicable M1 oil?> M1R4T.
Some blame apportionment: Three ILSAC req/spec changes in ten years? Something bad's happening behind the curtain ...

Nothing to say it wasnt the filter you selected...

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: RI_RS4
In general, the 5W30 oil will be more shear-stable and have lower deposit formation than the 0W30.

Not really, a 0W30 can only be had in a synthetic, so they are shear stable as they have little if any VI

What's the problem with modern VIIs anyway?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

I never experienced worse and excessive cold (+10F) startup and warmup racket than with this mobil 1 AFE - Its coming out of the sump. Wasted my money. A servicable M1 oil?> M1R4T. ... .
After experiencing poor fuel mileage with the last three tanks(and NEVER before) I switched from Shell to Mobil fuel yesterday and - what a diff. Smooth and nice drivability - Even cold start noise is less. SO, the shell and the othet Irving I have been using may be misformulated. Hope my gas mileage gets above 33mpg on this tank - It was alway better than 36>38 even in the coldest winter weeks. The AFE is staying in for now and getting better every week it's in there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back