What disturbs/angers you while driving?

People in the distance that wait until I am near and then pull out in front of me. When i am closer they do it too. If I let off and tap the brakes, I'm OK. Locked or hard brakes. PO!

Roundabouts make a lot of sense in lower traffic under 40 mph speed zones. As with a lot of things, you've got to understand the basic concept of deferring to the person(s) already in the circle or crossing the line ahead of you. In some instances I'm not a fan, but there are a few near me that improve the flow of traffic because brain synapse is actually firing and drivers understand and abide by the concept.

It's probably expecting too much of Americans to utilize them correctly if they can't NOT text while driving or a roundabout prevents them from balancing their burrito, lap poodle, and phone versus a 4-way stop.
There's a big one, an elevated circle where two major boulevards (one a Federal highway) meet in the suburbs here. It's oriented to the compass points, NSEW, and so you don't really need the signs to tell you which exit to take . . . though of course I'm the only driver in this area who understands about compass points. Generally the traffic is under 40 mph, and to me it works far better than an intersection with lights would. The only problem is that it was built many years ago, and the railings are a bit tall if you're in a car. You have to look carefully to see what's coming.

Last edited:
I was taught way back in the '70s that, if you are on the main road, it is partly your responsibility to see the merging driver gets on safely. That doesn't mean veering wildly into the center lane; it might mean adjusting your speed up or down to let him in. But it is *partly* your responsibility.

He has to do his part too, though.
Of course they're not going to teach people that they should actually accelerate while making this maneuver, so, they default to the brakes and screw it up for multiple people. On the rare days that I get the onramp to myself, I always gauge the speed of traffic on the highway as soon as it comes into view, and actually aim to be running a bit faster than they are by the time I'm ready to merge. People are much more willing to just let off the gas and give you space when they see you're doing everything you can to minimize your impact on their momentum.

The drivers that seem scared to death to even be behind the wheel of a car, and are unwilling to do their part to fit into the flow of traffic, might as well get used to people not making huge adjustments to their speed & path to accommodate them. Instead of blaming (and flipping off) people for not bending to meet their needs, a good look in the mirror is what's needed. But that'll never happen in the age of entitlement.

Nut wads who pass you on the right shoulder. Two weeks ago I am doing 53 in a 50 zone. Stupid young girl blows by me on the right shoulder and heads out doing about 80.
Also stupid people on a phone or texting me and riding a few feet off my bumper. Not discriminating, but it is usually a girl.

-Left lane dwellers, either from pure obliviousness or worse, those who clog the lane intentionally then obstruct others who try to pass. They are truly dangerous.

-Habitual middle and right lane passers, especially those who drive at excessive speeds in the right-most lane through mergers.

Driving in some other countries shows how well traffic can move with even the most basic lane discipline.

I was taught way back in the '70s that, if you are on the main road, it is partly your responsibility to see the merging driver gets on safely. That doesn't mean veering wildly into the center lane; it might mean adjusting your speed up or down to let him in. But it is *partly* your responsibility.

He has to do his part too, though.
I too learned to drive back in the 70s. Could be different laws in different states, could be different driving instructor's techniques, who knows. All I know is my instructor told me when merging onto a highway, the traffic that's already on the highway has the right of way, and it's the merger's responsibility to adjust his or her speed to blend in with traffic. When I'm on the highway, I will move left, if the lane is open, to give mergers room, but if that lane isn't open, the merger has to make the adjustments...

Nut wads who pass you on the right shoulder. Two weeks ago I am doing 53 in a 50 zone. Stupid young girl blows by me on the right shoulder and heads out doing about 80.
Also stupid people on a phone or texting me and riding a few feet off my bumper. Not discriminating, but it is usually a girl.
I agree on that 100%. The girl who hit me was on her phone all over the road then I passed her with the flow of traffic and she comes around me and was so close to my bumper she made contact as she was entering the turning lane I was approaching now she is trying to say I hit her makes me so mad 😡.

I too learned to drive back in the 70s. Could be different laws in different states, could be different driving instructor's techniques, who knows. All I know is my instructor told me when merging onto a highway, the traffic that's already on the highway has the right of way, and it's the merger's responsibility to adjust his or her speed to blend in with traffic. When I'm on the highway, I will move left, if the lane is open, to give mergers room, but if that lane isn't open, the merger has to make the adjustments...
Right -- reasonable accommodations, but the merger has to adjust to conditions too.

Last edited:
Were you in the left lane?

I did not read the replies in this thread. But what angers me the most is when I legally have the right of way and some ****** decides to try and take it from me. I am an alpha driver and always take control of situations. I will give way when others have the right of way. But when it is mine back the hell off

Don

I did not read the replies in this thread. But what angers me the most is when I legally have the right of way and some ****** decides to try and take it from me. I am an alpha driver and always take control of situations. I will give way when others have the right of way. But when it is mine back the hell off

Don
Curious for an example of what you mean?

I have lived in Wisconsin for about three years now and there is something I keep seeing drivers in Wisconsin doing that is driving me crazy. It is when someone does not use there turn signal until they are within a second or two from making a turn. I keep coming up on people driving in front of me that come to a near stop, for what appears to me to be for no particular reason, and then suddenly flip on their turn signal and immediately turn.

I don't know how to describe it any better other than to add that they usually brake late and hard, if my car didn't have the Eyesight safety system to help slow me down I feel like I would have rear ended more than a few people by now. In all the places I have lived and traveled I have never seen this so frequently and frankly so consistently as I have in Wisconsin. Is it something that is taught in driver's education in this state or what?

I learned to drive in Southern Illinois (nowhere near Chicago) and my recollection is being taught to use your turn signal approximately ten seconds before you expect to turn so to give anyone else who could see you enough advance notice of your intention to turn.

I have lived in Wisconsin for about three years now and there is something I keep seeing drivers in Wisconsin doing that is driving me crazy. It is when someone does not use there turn signal until they are within a second or two from making a turn. I keep coming up on people driving in front of me that come to a near stop, for what appears to me to be for no particular reason, and then suddenly flip on their turn signal and immediately turn.

I don't know how to describe it any better other than to add that they usually brake late and hard, if my car didn't have the Eyesight safety system to help slow me down I feel like I would have rear ended more than a few people by now. In all the places I have lived and traveled I have never seen this so frequently and frankly so consistently as I have in Wisconsin. Is it something that is taught in driver's education in this state or what?

I learned to drive in Southern Illinois (nowhere near Chicago) and my recollection is being taught to use your turn signal approximately ten seconds before you expect to turn so to give anyone else who could see you enough advance notice of your intention to turn.
People following Google maps.....

People following Google maps.....

There is no way that this is a habit that has been formed as a result of Google maps or navigation usage or else I would have seen it happen more frequently and consistently in other places I have lived in and traveled through. This seems more like a learned behavior, perhaps something with how driver's ed is taught in the state?

Back