What 0w16 are you using in your newer toyota?

I've been running TGMO 0W-16 and Toyota Filters at 5-6k OCI's in our 2022 Rav4 Hybrid. Mainly sticking to this oil for warranty purposes.

However we're currently heading back to MI from Utah on a road trip. So far we've been driving through a 20-30mph headwind through Colorado, Nebraska and now Iowa. The 2.5L has really been working hard to push through this and it has me wishing I put a heavier oil in there. We're getting 29mpg vs the usual 36mpg for this type of highway driving.

I think I'll run 0W-20 from here on out despite the contradiction found in the manual. It's stupid that the manual says that a heavier oil may be better for high speed high load driving but that you MUST switch back to 0w-16 at the next oil change. So we're stuck with chosing what's better for our engine or complying with the manual?

I think I'll run 0W-20 from here on out despite the contradiction found in the manual. It's stupid that the manual says that a heavier oil may be better for high speed high load driving but that you MUST switch back to 0w-16 at the next oil change. So we're stuck with chosing what's better for our engine or complying with the manual?
You think it's stupid because you're fallen or the notion that the manual statement is based on a technical reason. It is anything but technical, and when you understand that it makes sense. Have you not seen the requirements of an EPA fuel economy letter?

You think it's stupid because you're fallen or the notion that the manual statement is based on a technical reason. It is anything but technical, and when you understand that it makes sense. Have you not seen the requirements of an EPA fuel economy letter?
No, I think it's stupid for the reason I've already stated with my main concern being warranty coverage. If the high speed high load conditions always apply to you and you run 0W-20 for more than one interval then you're technically following and not following the manual at the same time.

No, I think it's stupid for the reason I've already stated with my main concern being warranty coverage. If the high speed high load conditions always apply to you and you run 0W-20 for more than one interval then you're technically following and not following the manual at the same time.
Does your owner’s manual or warranty book state that oil grade is a condition of warranty?

Oil grades are and have always been recommendations, not requirements. Engine damage is connected to your warranty.

Free oil change at the dealer they used bulk 0W-20. I did our own on our 2022 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid and use M1 AFE 0W-16 6 mos OCI and mileage is about 5,000 miles +/- a couple hundred.

Last edited:
M1 in ours, whatever that is (AFE?). Haven't made the switch to ST 0W20 just yet, but have toyed with it. But wife is a gentle driver and I stick with 5k OCI's at the moment.

Does your owner’s manual or warranty book state that oil grade is a condition of warranty?

Oil grades are and have always been recommendations, not requirements. Engine damage is connected to your warranty.
The warranty and maintenance guide states under what is not covered: "Lack of or improper maintenance including use of fluids and fuel other than those specified in the owners manual".

It then later states to refer to the owners manual for engine oil selection.

We already know that the manual says that you  MUST switch back to 0W-16 on the next oil change after using 0W-20. Not switching back, in my mind, could be considered "improper maintenance" by Toyota and give them a reason to deny a warranty claim. The word "must" is pretty clear here. I actually called a couple dealerships as well as Toyota Corporate a couple years back for clarification on this and received zero answers.

Manufacturers absolutely deny warranty claims over BS reasons, the liftgate hinge failures on these Rav4's being an easy example off the top of my head. Have fun fighting a corporation with unlimited time and resources.

Interpret the manual however you want, but to me it clearly contradicts itself and that is what I think is stupid. My comment had nothing to do with the CAFE discussion or the recommendations found in most manuals.

The warranty and maintenance guide states under what is not covered: "Lack of or improper maintenance including use of fluids and fuel other than those specified in the owners manual".

We already know that the manual says that you  MUST switch back to 0W-16 on the next oil change after using 0W-20. Not switching back, in my mind, could be considered "improper maintenance" by Toyota and give them a reason to deny a warranty claim. The word "must" is pretty clear here. I actually called a couple dealerships as well as Toyota Corporate a couple years back for clarification on this and received zero answers.

Manufacturers absolutely deny warranty claims over BS reasons, the liftgate hinge failures on these Rav4's being an easy example off the top of my head. Have fun fighting a corporation with unlimited time and resources.

Interpret the manual however you want, but to me it clearly contradicts itself and that is what I think is stupid. My comment had nothing to do with the CAFE discussion or the recommendations found in most manuals.
Well fortunately the two VW dealerships in my area aren’t quite that clueless.

Good luck trying to distinguish 0w16 from 0w20.

Looks to be HIGH amount for MOLY for the TOTOYA Genuine 0w-2-0 ( S.P.) . So , the NORM .

View attachment 202503

U.O.A.s' .

View attachment 202504

These can be found here .

View attachment 202505
I received the test results back from Blackstone for a TGMO Full synthetic virgin oil sample just 2 days ago. I wanted to establish a " baseline" of the chemistry to use as a comparison against future UOA's. The moly level on the sample was 766. The sample was taken from a GTMO bottle purchased from a local Toyota dealership just a few weeks ago.
Hope this helps.

Amsoil SS 0w16 is what I would use. 8.5% NOACK is respectable.
That, and the Amsoil filter, will be going in to engine at my next oil change in about 2000 miles. I wanted to establish an oil change history with Toyota on my new vehicle and take advantage of the Toyota care free oil change to do that. But the engine start up " clattering ", using the 0W-16 TGMO synthetic oil is becoming annoying.

0w20 is were I'd go next, for engine noise concerns. Pick one from the favorites here at BITOG.
If you are doing the oil changes yourself....
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
Castrol Edge EP
Mobil-1 EP
Valvoline EP
...... Amsoil, HPL, Red Line.....etc.... if money is not restricted.

If someone else is performing the work, you can take your vehicle anywhere and even supply the oil change shop with your own five quart jug of new oil.

0w20 is were I'd go next. Pick one from the favorites here at BITOG.
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
Castrol Edge EP
Mobil-1 EP
Valvoline EP
...... Amsoil, HPL, Red Line.....etc.... if money is not restricted.
Thanks for the input. That might happen if the change from GTMO and the Toyota filter to Amsoil Signature Series 0W-16 and an Amsoil filter doesn't help with the " first start of the day " diesel-like clattering currently happening. The annoying noise goes away once the engine has warmed up though.

Thanks for the input. That might happen if the change from GTMO and the Toyota filter to Amsoil Signature Series 0W-16 and an Amsoil filter doesn't help with the " first start of the day " diesel-like clattering currently happening. The annoying noise goes away once the engine has warmed up though.
The diesel-like clattering is the direct injectors clicking away (A25A-FKS engine). They are active when the RAV4 first starts, then shut off after the engine has idled for a short while. I was surprised at the noise as well until I saw a few YouTube videos describing how the engine switches between the port and direct fuel injectors.

Last edited:
Back