Went looking for a RAV4 and ended up with Equinox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on the new Equinox. It really was the better choice. As for the RAV4 - I agree with you, never saw anything about it that appealed to me. But, like the others said, it appeals to somebody, and to each their own.

Several of our friends/family have CR-V's RAV 4's and Equinox/Terrain along with a bunch of other SUV's from all MFGs.

Thus far the GMs take the cake as far as feeling the most grown up. Others may follow without having much choice.

The thing is, I like the Equinox/Terrain better than the higher priced Highlander and Pilot and some others too! These GMs are really quiet.

I think that the larger GM SUV(Acadia, Enclave, Traverse) are even nicer and quiet too but, just too big! Thats fine too if you like/need BIG!

IMHO, the tide has turned where the domestic vehicles are "NOW" feeling more substantial than the other makes(in many cases). I wish them all the success in reliability and resale value too.

Quote:

3) Diagnostic support. I can get Toyota Techstream Lite for $500 which will give me full dealer-level diagnostic capabilities for the vehicle, can't have that with GM Tech II. Plus shop manuals, online help, etc are more easily obtained online than GM.

I disagree with you completely. Even you did NOT spend $500 for that capability :) People who buy new vehicles don't shop or consider the diagnostic support. The vehicle will be covered under warranty and the last thing they want to think is how to fix it by themselves.

The price of diagnostics tools in the internet era where piracy is rampant is a complete non-starter. In my best Casa Blanca voice "I am shocked to see that you are bringing this out!"

- Vikas

Last edited:
The rav4 was nice in its first generation with the 2 liter engine and short wheelbase. Then it grew a couple feet longer at some point and lost any appeal with me.

With itself, the mall cruiser, FJ cruiser, highlander and 4 runner, their showroom is crowded with SUVs.

Have to agree with you there. I really liked the shorter wheelbase RAVs - I almost bought one actually. 2005 5 Speed Manual, Certified, but the dealer wanted WAY more than I was willing to pay.

To the OP, congrats to your sister on the Equinox!

Originally Posted By: Vikas

I disagree with you completely.
[...]
People who buy new vehicles don't shop or consider the diagnostic support.

You are incorrect, the critics example nullifies your hypothesis (as Sheldon would have said).

The average buyer buys a Toyota or Honda primarily because of brand and will overlook shortcomings of the vehicle vs. the andvantages of the competition. They are erroneously led to believe a Toyota or Honda will be much more reliable.

Originally Posted By: stevejones
Moar pics of the lady in the passenger seat!

That is my wife. Her sister is the one that bought the equinox. My wife is actually in stage 5 kidney failure due to sarcoidosis which is very rare to attack the kidneys.

I am glad to see its not just us that felt there was a lot lacking on the RAV4. I am sure they are good cars but for that kind of money it felt very bland. Heck as much room as the equinox has it even felt kind of small to me but I drive an 07 Yukon so everything feels small to me LOL.

n809116854_926930_8840.jpg

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro
Originally Posted By: stevejones
Moar pics of the lady in the passenger seat!

That is my wife. Her sister is the one that bought the equinox. My wife is actually in stage 5 kidney failure due to sarcoidosis which is very rare to attack the kidneys.

I am glad to see its not just us that felt there was a lot lacking on the RAV4. I am sure they are good cars but for that kind of money it felt very bland. Heck as much room as the equinox has it even felt kind of small to me but I drive an 07 Yukon so everything feels small to me LOL.

n809116854_926930_8840.jpg

ProStreet. God Bless you and your lovely wife. My wife has reduced kidney function and thankfully with the help of a wonderful doctor has had the condition stabilize and not get any worse. I wish the best to both of you.

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro
My wife is actually in stage 5 kidney failure due to sarcoidosis which is very rare to attack the kidneys.

I am glad to see its not just us that felt there was a lot lacking on the RAV4.

Is she Swedish? Sarcoidosis is rare in white people.

As for RAV4, I did agree interior was rather spartan.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
So is the carbon fouling on the GM DI's which costs a fortune to fix is resolved?

I think you are confusing the DI carbon issue with the big problem Audi and some others had. To date, there is no "DI Carbon problem" with GM DI engines. Ford also seems to not have any issues either.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Love our nox.

Also I haven't heard anything about carbon fouling with these engines. Anyone have more info on that?

I haven't heard of carbon fouling yet in the GM engines as I think DI is still too new at GM but, have heard of carbon fouling in DI engines, namely Audi/VW.

Maybe time will tell if these new GM DI engines will experience carbon fouling as miles/years roll on!

It could turn out that the engines show their signs of carbon fouling to the second owners of the vehicles.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that in spite of everything the last few years has brought that when Toyota refuses to innovate it is ‘tried and true.” Let a domestic rest on its laurels and the public is all over it… I like some of Toyota’s previous designs but all of their offerings of late look like creatures from a bad Sci-Fi film…

I would have bought the Equinox as well. I read a review that said that the most surprising thing about the Equinox was that after two years the competition still had not produced anything to compete with it in its segment.

Originally Posted By: apwillard1986
I read a review that said that the most surprising thing about the Equinox was that after two years the competition still had not produced anything to compete with it in its segment.

The Equinox is a great SUV, but still...Honda sold 50% more CR-Vs in March than Chevy sold Equinoxes. I'm not sure that reviewer had sales data to reference. Maybe if you combine sales of the Equinox and Terrain, they'd have Honda.

The Equinox did outsell the RAV4 in March. The RAV4 is an old design, and others have newer stuff. The current Escape isn't all that great either, but Ford has a new one coming soon. These are the types of things you see with differing model refresh cycles. Somebody's always going to have something newer than somebody else.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Why RAV4?

1) Ease of resale. I can resell a RAV4 quite easily, but not an Equinox.

Bingo!

But you won't want to sell the Equinox!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Why RAV4?

1) Ease of resale. I can resell a RAV4 quite easily, but not an Equinox.

Bingo!

But you won't want to sell the Equinox!

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back