Went looking for a RAV4 and ended up with Equinox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2388059&page=1

I'll pass on DI for now if possible, I think the technology still needs improvement. JMO

Thats what I thought, with a name like "GMBoy" expect, outright denial LOL.

Mmmmm, you do realize that GMBoy WORKS as a production manager at GM's Arlington Assembly plant? I'd say he's more qualified to talk about these vehicles than anyone else on the site.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2388059&page=1

I'll pass on DI for now if possible, I think the technology still needs improvement. JMO

That link goes to a DI problem with a Mini Clubman. There are no DI issues that I am aware of with Ford, Hyundai, Kia or GM DI systems.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

Mmmmm, you do realize that GMBoy WORKS as a production manager at GM's Arlington Assembly plant? I'd say he's more qualified to talk about these vehicles than anyone else on the site.

I would say that makes him quicker to deny any issues..People are complaining all over the web, are they all wrong?

Originally Posted By: dishdude

That link goes to a DI problem with a Mini Clubman. There are no DI issues that I am aware of with Ford, Hyundai, Kia or GM DI systems.

Lets see GM and others didn't have intake valve issues early on? GM had fuel dilution issues so bad they had to reprogram the OLM. Its all over the web. Here's one from our site, a 2011 so it appears they still haven't nailed it yet. There's others too. I'd take they Toyota, and I don't really like them either.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post2592470

This poor guy's OLM is telling him he's got 65% life remaining on his oil. I guess they either didn't re-calibrate it, or they better do it again.

OK. I guess its a dead issue then. What had me thinking in that direction was articles like this along with numerous complaints on different boards. I guess when its new, like anything people are suspicious, and I fell for it.

OK. I guess its a dead issue then. What had me thinking in that direction was articles like this along with numerous complaints on different boards. I guess when its new, like anything people are suspicious, and I fell for it.

Thank you for posting that article, it clears up a lot of misnomers about DI.

From your article:

Many automakers’ gasoline DI engines do not appear to exhibit any carbon build-up issues at all, however. Digging into online threads about Cadillac’s 3.6-liter DI V6 in its popular CTS lineup does reveal some owner concerns about carbon build-up, but it’s difficult to find even a single report that any build-up has actually occurred – a record that is notable considering that Cadillac has sold more than 200,000 CTS models with DI V6s (Audi sold fewer than 2,000 RS 4s in the US during its two-year sales run).

From your article:

Many automakers’ gasoline DI engines do not appear to exhibit any carbon build-up issues at all, however. Digging into online threads about Cadillac’s 3.6-liter DI V6 in its popular CTS lineup does reveal some owner concerns about carbon build-up, but it’s difficult to find even a single report that any build-up has actually occurred – a record that is notable considering that Cadillac has sold more than 200,000 CTS models with DI V6s (Audi sold fewer than 2,000 RS 4s in the US during its two-year sales run).

What about fuel dilution and the need to reprogram the OLM? That's certainly not a fix. Give DI some time once they iron out the bugs it should be fine.

From your article:

What about fuel dilution and the need to reprogram the OLM? That's certainly not a fix. Give DI some time once they iron out the bugs it should be fine.

Poorly programmed OLM has nothing to do with a design issue in DI.

"Haters gonna hate".

Originally Posted By: cchase

"Haters gonna hate".

A poorly programmed OLM is not going to fix a poorly designed engine. If anything it will shorten its life. I'm not a hater [I just don't like DI, hate is an ugly word]. I'm just someone who thinks DI technology has a ways to go before its perfected. Maybe Ford nailed it, time will tell.

A poorly programmed OLM is not going to fix a poorly designed engine. If anything it will shorten its life. I'm not a hater [I just don't like DI, hate is an ugly word], I'm just someone who thinks DI technology has a ways to go before its perfected. Maybe Ford nailed it, time will tell.

GM hasn't had any issues with DI that I've seen mentioned on this board. An OLM that runs too long isn't a DI issue, it's a programming issue. It's simple.

Quote:

"Haters gonna hate".

A poorly programmed OLM is not going to fix a poorly designed engine. If anything it will shorten its life. I'm not a hater [I just don't like DI, hate is an ugly word], I'm just someone who thinks DI technology has a ways to go before its perfected. Maybe Ford nailed it, time will tell.

GM hasn't had any issues with DI that I've seen mentioned on this board. An OLM that runs too long isn't a DI issue, it's a programming issue. It's simple.

Fuel dilution in a GM DI engine is not a DI issue? That's what made them re-program the OLM. Engines w/o DI were not re-programmed as far as I know.

Last edited:
Fuel dilution in a DI engine is not a DI issue?

If the fuel dilution is not causing excessive wear, then it's simply not an issue at all. And thus far, I haven't seen a correlation anywhere or any comments about reduced longevity of DI engines due to fuel dilution.

We have a Rav4 with the 2.4L and we like it. Our only gripes are that it's just a 4 cylinder and doesn't do well on ice or wind. We get about 23-25 mpg highway/20 mpg city consistently.

The interior hasn't ever bothered me, it's rather simplistic and basic, but to me that means it's not confusing. I'm more disappointed in the stereo - I'm a big music guy (and a musician).

Did you guys try a Santa Fe? Those things rule the road.

I like the feel and interior of GM vehicles, but I would never buy a GM SUV. Simply because I've had trouble with them, and my step-dad gave me some advice. He is a Chevy FANATIC, and works at a used car parts/totaled and-or dead vehicles dealership and says he has seen so many issues with GM SUV's (everything from Cadillacs to GMC) regarding transmission, fuel problems, engine failure, suspension, piston failure, electronic failure, O2 sensors, etc. He said in very blunt words - "they are pieces of ****. Don't EVER buy one."

Eeek. I was really surprised since he is a dedicated american car guy, ESPECIALLY GM.

I also had a Bravada that went to [censored] on me. Sorry to paint with such a wide brush, and I'm not saying that's gonna happen to you, but I'm just wary of them from now on.

Best of luck to you, your wife, and your sister-in-law!

If the fuel dilution is not causing excessive wear, then it's simply not an issue at all. And thus far, I haven't seen a correlation anywhere or any comments about reduced longevity of DI engines due to fuel dilution.

Why not run one until the OLM goes to zero for 100,000-150,000 miles and see if it makes it. Odds are the bearings will be shot long before the carbon on the exhaust valves becomes a problem.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2307488&page=1

A few tried to blame the oil, when the DI engine was diluting the oil. Another case for the OLM reprogram.

There are a few more that have fuel dilution issues, the search engine is tough to find them though.

That UOA doesn't look "pretty" but given it's a 12,000 mile run on a brand new engine and (ironically) fuel is actually not that high, I don't see any condemning evidence concerning DI "issues". Nothing in that UOA says "wear is high because it's DI".

Why not run one until the OLM goes to zero for 100,000-150,000 miles and see if it makes it. Odds are the bearings will be shot long before the carbon on the exhaust valves becomes a problem.

Again, a programming issue with a DI engine concerning OLM information does not indicate an issue with the DI technology, it indicates an issue with the programming of maintenance schedules.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
We have a Rav4 with the 2.4L and we like it. Our only gripes are that it's just a 4 cylinder and doesn't do well on ice or wind. We get about 23-25 mpg highway/20 mpg city consistently.

The interior hasn't ever bothered me, it's rather simplistic and basic, but to me that means it's not confusing. I'm more disappointed in the stereo - I'm a big music guy (and a musician).

Did you guys try a Santa Fe? Those things rule the road.

I like the feel and interior of GM vehicles, but I would never buy a GM SUV. Simply because I've had trouble with them, and my step-dad. He is a Chevy FANATIC, and works at a used car parts/totaled and-or dead vehicles dealership and says he has seen so many issues with GM SUV's (everything from Cadillacs to GMC) regarding transmission, engine failure, piston failure, electronic failure, etc. He said in very blunt words - they are pieces of ****. Don't EVER buy one.

I was really surprised since he is a dedicated american car guy, ESPECIALLY GM.

I also had a Bravada that went to [censored] on me. Not saying that's gonna happen to you, but with what I've heard I wouldn't get one.

Best of luck to you, your wife, and your sister-in-law!

Does he have any info on their DI engines you'd care to share?

Again, a programming issue with a DI engine concerning OLM information does not indicate an issue with the DI technology, it indicates an issue with the programming of maintenance schedules.

If you think so, then that's fine. Reprogrammed because of excess fuel in the oil means there is a problem with the system, pretty basic. It isn't effecting their EFI engines, they aren't being called in for a reprogram.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back