Have you ever owned a convertible?

They are Great to drive once in-a-while in the country.
Great PITA in the city where you collect all the pollution on you and the seats.
Not at all necessary since the A/C became available.

Yes, my 1967 Impala SS is a convertible. It is just a really nice old car that still feels new (1967 new), runs excellent, smooth comfortable ride, handles great (for an old car) etc. I enjoy working on it when required, it is a simple and very nice car to work on. It has the perfect powertrain combo for our needs; a more than adequate V8, automatic and 3.08 rear axle gears. It is equally capable around town or on narrow steep mountain passes.

We enjoy 80% of the convertible experience such as trips into the country, farmer's markets, island touring, secondary scenic highway touring etc. You get a really nice big picture view of the world in a convertible. I don't drive at night very much anymore regardless of the vehicle but on the couple times we have been out at night in this car that was pretty cool too. We also enjoy most of the smells; meadows, forests, etc. you get driving a convertible. Forest fires and the Delta landfill... not so much.

However, what we really do not like is anything above 50 MPH, too much noise and wind. Also it is harrowing (and deafening) to be slow passed by an 18 wheeler on a freeway. So our journeys always are the slow routes, secondary highways etc. but you can't avoid the occasional high speed expressway section and that is not a pleasant experience at all. As well, many of the cities we frequent in the car make me a little nervous driving in the core downtown areas in the car as there is definitely a vulnerability with the top down. I used to not think or worry about it years ago but I do now. We are planning a trip down the PCH in the car and I am still wondering what to do about the SF / LA components of the trip honestly. I really want to cruise Sunset in LA and descend Lombard St. in SF but... just not sure about that yet.

I leave the top down permanently, I just put it up at nights on road trips at the motels. I don't put the top up for stops at malls, lunch, Costco etc. it is too much of a pain really (windows up, latching it in etc.) so that "up and down" part is a bit of a negative, maybe a modern convertible is easier but this old one is a bit of a pain. Obviously this means we only drive the car on nice days but that is not a negative in itself. We actually have not hit bad weather yet with this car. If it does rain, sure, I can get the top up quick enough. I use a Club when we stop, so far so good and we haven't had any discarded Slurpee cups or McDonald's bags tossed into the car yet.

1964 Corvette, 2015 Corvette, and a 2022 Corvette hard top convertible.

Corvette1964_0001.jpg

My wife loved her convertibles. We owned 3 Sebring convertibles over the years. Two were soft tops and one was a hard top. She really wants another one but due to her medical conditions and meds sun is a no no for her now. My brother had a Karma Ghia convertible and my step dad had an Audi convertible.

How about you guys.
My wife had a couple. I despise the things.

I got a good deal on a red 1991 Sunbird convertible with the 3.1 V6 when my kids were young. I kept it for a couple of years until the thrill wore off....now I don't even want a sunroof in my cars.

2004 and 2015 mustangs.
never thought i would be a fan ! but there is something about open air view that keeps me in one.

Mercedes SL550. I loved driving it with the top down. I learned that I could extend the top down season into the fall quite a ways, by turning the heater on full blast.

Yes, my 1967 Impala SS is a convertible. It is just a really nice old car that still feels new (1967 new), runs excellent, smooth comfortable ride, handles great (for an old car) etc. I enjoy working on it when required, it is a simple and very nice car to work on. It has the perfect powertrain combo for our needs; a more than adequate V8, automatic and 3.08 rear axle gears. It is equally capable around town or on narrow steep mountain passes.

We enjoy 80% of the convertible experience such as trips into the country, farmer's markets, island touring, secondary scenic highway touring etc. You get a really nice big picture view of the world in a convertible. I don't drive at night very much anymore regardless of the vehicle but on the couple times we have been out at night in this car that was pretty cool too. We also enjoy most of the smells; meadows, forests, etc. you get driving a convertible. Forest fires and the Delta landfill... not so much.

However, what we really do not like is anything above 50 MPH, too much noise and wind. Also it is harrowing (and deafening) to be slow passed by an 18 wheeler on a freeway. So our journeys always are the slow routes, secondary highways etc. but you can't avoid the occasional high speed expressway section and that is not a pleasant experience at all. As well, many of the cities we frequent in the car make me a little nervous driving in the core downtown areas in the car as there is definitely a vulnerability with the top down. I used to not think or worry about it years ago but I do now. We are planning a trip down the PCH in the car and I am still wondering what to do about the SF / LA components of the trip honestly. I really want to cruise Sunset in LA and descend Lombard St. in SF but... just not sure about that yet.

I leave the top down permanently, I just put it up at nights on road trips at the motels. I don't put the top up for stops at malls, lunch, Costco etc. it is too much of a pain really (windows up, latching it in etc.) so that "up and down" part is a bit of a negative, maybe a modern convertible is easier but this old one is a bit of a pain. Obviously this means we only drive the car on nice days but that is not a negative in itself. We actually have not hit bad weather yet with this car. If it does rain, sure, I can get the top up quick enough. I use a Club when we stop, so far so good and we haven't had any discarded Slurpee cups or McDonald's bags tossed into the car yet.
Yes you can definitely smell things a lot better. And I like driving with a top down at Twilight to watch the bats flying around

For a very short time, I owned a '71 Fiat 850 Sport Coupe convertible. I got rid of it real quick because: 1. That occupants of that car would not survive an accident. A Wrigley's Double Mint gum wrapper has more metal in it than the frame of that car. 2. I'm a good 6'5". I just didn't fit in that car.
My brother used to have a '66 Bronco pickup, the first year the Bronco was introduced. That had a removable hard top. (Does that count?) He sold it locally, but it has sat for 20+ years and the man owner wouldn't sell it back to me "because I'm going to fix it up.". The man owner died and his widowed wife wouldn't sell it me "because of sentimental reasons." She has now died and I'm going to (someday) ask the only remaining kid if he will sell it to me. I'm not holding my breath.

Back