Weeping FRAM Ultra XG2

Just installed the Ultra XG 9688 on the '18 Accent . Have been checking it on occasion for leak(s) . So far , so good . Wil install the Ultra XG7317 on the FIT .

Update:

1. The replacement filter I installed has remained bone dry, so that's solved.
2. A package from FRAM showed up today, included were two new filters, a return shipping label as well as instructions for returning the defective filter.

Here are the new boxes compared to my old one (on the left). I note the verbiage on the back is still the same and the actual filters still look identical:
IMG_1689.jpg

IMG_1690.jpg

IMG_1691.jpg

OK, and some pics of the filter I'm sending back. They asked that it be drained, so I've shoved something in one of the ADBV holes and am draining it into a mason jar at the moment. Prior to that however, I did some basic cleaning of it and took these photos:
IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

On this picture you can see what appears to be a small bur, just out from the 2S in the area where the gasket seals. I'm wondering if this is what caused the leak?
IMG_1697.jpg

IMG_1698.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1700.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

I will also note that wiping down the area that the oils goes into the filter yielded some grey material with the oil, I assume this is break-in metal. Was interesting to find it on the base plate.

What kind of Jeep is this? Using phone; can’t see signatures. Also did you have to present a receipt and the box’s barcode?

The Fram filters on my truck have always leaked. Not even worth looking at, but I think it’s the gasket too. Everything else minus my Jeep, they’d tell me to pound sand on since I’m using them on the “wrong” applications.

What kind of Jeep is this? Using phone; can’t see signatures. Also did you have to present a receipt and the box’s barcode?

The Fram filters on my truck have always leaked. Not even worth looking at, but I think it’s the gasket too. Everything else minus my Jeep, they’d tell me to pound sand on since I’m using them on the “wrong” applications.

No receipt, no barcode.

Jeep is a 2020 Grand Cherokee SRT. This is the correct filter for this application. This is the first one I've ever had leak.

Interesting. Good on them for sending you some filters and investigating the old one. I've used this same filter on my dad's Grand Cherokee 5.7L without any issues.

I actually had the same thing happen on a Purolator Classic (this was way back before the tear-o-lator days) and couldn't find anything wrong with the gasket or mating surface. Since it was a $3 filter I just assumed something was not made correctly and threw a different one on.

Hi Overkill,

Thanks for sharing. I ran into the same issue this week after changing the M1 filter on my Challenger. 1st time it’s ever happened to me. Following your lead, I called Mobile and asked if they were interested in the defective filter. Nope, so I returned it to Walmart for a refund.

Update!!!

FRAM has received, and evaluated, the filter. Interestingly, they were not able to replicate the issue during their battery of tests, but may subject it to additional testing. I think their response is valuable to the board here, to give an idea of what they do when they receive a filter back, so I'm posting that response below:

Hello Mr. ******,

We appreciate you taking the time to send us your suspect oil filter. The Product Evaluation Team conducted a series of performance tests to include a pressure test, flow test, and impulse test. The pressure test is conducted by filling the filter with 90 psi of compressed air and submerging it underwater. Flow testing a filter incorporates a stand which measures the pressure drop while installed in a typical lubrication system using heated oil. The final test conducted is the impulse, during which, heated test fluid (also black light responsive) is cycled from 0 to 100 psi once per second, for 1000 cycles.

Unfortunately we were unable to duplicate your concern. The filter met engineering specifications and passed the review without signs of leakage. At the production team’s request, we may forward your filter for additional review.

While we were unable to initially confirm your report, we thank you for choosing FRAM and hope that the customer service experience has met your expectations. If you have any questions about the testing procedures or findings, please feel free to contact us using the information provided below.

Regards,

Product Evaluation Team

Update!!!

FRAM has received, and evaluated, the filter. Interestingly, they were not able to replicate the issue during their battery of tests, but may subject it to additional testing. I think their response is valuable to the board here, to give an idea of what they do when they receive a filter back, so I'm posting that response below:

Fram said in their response: "The pressure test is conducted by filling the filter with 90 psi of compressed air and submerging it underwater."

I'd think if there was any kind of defect in the can/base seam that test would have shown it. Maybe it's temperature dependent, but air under that much pressure will typically leak out of the most minute leak path.

One thing is for sure, Fram is super good on taking flaws seriously and investigating for a root cause.

Had the same issue with a xg2 filter, I just cranked it down harder and leak stopped. It was a quick oil change in cold weather so seating surface could of been dirty.

That is the first proper test it is not the seam. I don’t believe any of the Wix etc claims of seam leaks either, unless there is some scientific test to prove it. It’s so easy to guess wrong, been there so many times myself.

There are a few holes in the bottom of the gasket groove, and one of them appears to be shaped differently. I wonder if oil was seeping out from the outer edge of the gasket and eventually pooling/dripping down the filter.

Back