Wax Rings on Toilets, how long do they last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bud
I had to pull one of my toilets about three years ago and went with a waxless ring. Much prefer it over a wax ring.

Same here . They last forever IF they aren’t moved around. Trouble is those [censored] hold downs corrode away and first sign is just that , wobbling around. That may or may not make it fail. Do yourself a favor , if it leaks at all replace with rubber and kick that 19 th century technology to the curb. Also use hi grade brass or stainless hold down hardware, don’t be cheap. You’ll thank yourself later when you avoided yet another [censored]
crazy.gif
job. The builders grade hardware they OEM are always pure garbage.

Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
Bee's wax never goes bad but it also never returns or springs back. So if the toilet moves the seal is lost forever . A properly shimmed and secured toilet including adhesive caulk around the base to keep all movement out will never have a problem. Mass produced houses have many corners cut so who knows. They have Hybrid wax seals too. It is like the foam rubber and wax combo so if the toilet moves at some point the secondary seal kicks in and fills the tiny gap the wax left.
Also extreme plunging takes it toll on a seal. Take it easy.

Experienced this in my townhouse...the toilet in the powder room on the first floor was rocking due the concrete not being level. Builder sent plumber out who lifted the toilet slightly to shim it and tightened it down. I told the guy that I was no expert but isn't there going to be a problem with the wax ring now? He assured me there wouldn't but two days later I noticed seepage when flushing so the same guy had to come out to pull the toilet and put in a new wax ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back