Toilet Wax Ring Clearance ?

I installed a tile floor in my bathroom, this raised the level of the floor even with toilet flange.
Everything I read states that the flange should be 1/4 inch above the floor.
No problem as lowes had 1/4 flange spacers.

But I checked the bottom of the new toilet, and it is proud by 1/8 inch or so compared the the edge of the toilet.
It's even when compared to the floor standoffs.

If I add another 1/4 inch to the floor flange I'll have 3/8 , how will the toilet not rock and not seat?
I'm thinking, if I add a flange spacer, I'll get too much compression on the wax ring and even rock , or risk cracking the toilet base.

I'm not sure I need a spacer at all?
IMG_20220615_123515350~2.jpg
IMG_20220709_142153884.jpg
IMG_20220709_140405748_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
The wax ring will take care of that. Set the toilet first without the wax ring to make sure. In the picture it looks like casting or enamel remnants on that outlet. Make sure they won’t interfere first. You will make sure by setting the toilet first without the wax ring. That will save a headache.

If you are worried, just get a thicker wax ring but I think you should be fine.
There is a version with a tapered rubber piece also at one end of the wax.
There is also non-wax ring, now that may be better although I never need to use it.

Just FYI, the toilet bowl hole is way smaller than the flanged hole on the floor.

The bottom toilet drain is suppose to sit down inside the toilet flange so septic does not escape out the sides, the wax is there to seal in the gases and provide a waterproof seal. The wax crushes to fill in all the voids when the 2 come together. It is a good idea to do a dry fit before installing the wax just to be sure the toilet sits flat on the floor without interference. After the ring is on you put all your weight on the toilet to compress the ring before bolting it down snugly..

The bottom toilet drain is suppose to sit down inside the toilet flange so septic does not escape out the sides, the wax is there to seal in the gases and provide a waterproof seal. The wax crushes to fill in all the voids when the 2 come together. It is a good idea to do a dry fit before installing the wax just to be sure the toilet sits flat on the floor without interference. After the ring is on you put all your weight on the toilet to compress the ring before bolting it down snugly..
ahh i see, that may explain it.

I’ve done several toilet installations after installing tile. I’ve never had a problem when I used the thicker wax rings. I would bet a normal one would work but if you are worried buy the extra thick one.

Place the toilet with the ring installed and then sit on it to get good compression. Then tighten your nuts. I usually leave the plastic caps off for a couple days while I check the nuts for being tight.

Just my $0.02

Thanks guys. I think i will buy the flange spacer, and test fit before applying the wax ring. I didn't think about the toilet outlet actually fitting below the flange surface.

i dont know that you need a spacer.. they make thicker wax rings. and non-wax rings that are supposedly better (havent used one yet)

I would not use a spacer on the top of the existing flange - there's no way to ensure an air/watertight seal between the flange and the spacer. I guess you could put a bunch of caulk in between them, but you'd never know if it was working until someday when maybe you have a problem.

For a flange that's flush or close to with the finished floor, do like has been suggested and get an extra thick ring or a SaniSeal. A benefit of the latter is that if for some reason you need to reposition the toilet during or shortly after the installation, it'll rebound and can still be used. A wax ring is one and done, once it gets smushed it stays that way so you can't re-set a toilet on it and be sure it's making a seal.

FWIW I always put the spacers under the flanges with tile floors. Cut the pipe, figure out the height you're going to need, then set a new flange with a spacer underneath to get the right height. Install the finished floor around it. That way you don't need to drill through the tiles or whatever.
jeff

Fluidmaster makes a good closet seal for this situation. Here in the old northeast the american standard toilets of the 1920's had the outlet a good 2 inches past the toilet base. Would extend well down inside the waste line. I figured they got broke fairly easy during the train ride so they stopped that design.

In the picture it looks like casting or enamel remnants on that outlet. Make sure they won’t interfere first.
I have a file made for ceramic tile. I used that to file down the casting flash.
I wonder how many times something like that causes leaks if it's not noticed or corrected?
IMG_20220710_094938936.jpg
IMG_20220710_095215774.jpg

I have a file made for ceramic tile. I used that to file down the casting flash.
I wonder how many times something like that causes leaks if it's not noticed or corrected?
View attachment 107449View attachment 107451

That would be a good question. I can imagine a installer just forcing that toilet in without any prior check. What if that outlet cracked during the installation? Anyone here who has bought a brand new house can tell us stories of going back in the first few years replacing or fixing stuff that was installed improperly or sloppy.

I used this Danco Perfect Seal about 8 years ago after I installed vinyl plank flooring in the bathroom. It’s working well. Toilet is on solid with no leaks or rocking.

Attachments

• 57309BDF-878D-4B9A-AA4F-70CE43D21339.jpeg
    57309BDF-878D-4B9A-AA4F-70CE43D21339.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: JTK
I used a korky waxless seal. I did test fit a spacer, then install it with 100%GE silicone. I also decided to coat the grout surrounding the flange with silicone.
If there is any leak, I'd rather have it run out from under the toilet rather than leak into and around the grout.
IMG_20220615_123515350~2.jpg
IMG_20220710_120218135.jpg

Back