Toilet flange glue to the pipe / rusted

I had a leaking toilet from the bottom. The Johnny bolt on one side has snapped and the flange has corroded and bent upward. Normally I would expect the flange to be flat and about 1/4" above the flooring, but this one seems to be flush to the floor had it not been corroded / rusted. The floor was marble tile and underneath has some empty space after I clean out all the leaked liquid / compost matter, none of the flange's hole were bolted to the slab foundation at all. The pipe goes all the way down about 10" or 1' down before bending toward the "outside".

The old flange has some blue coating on the metal "ring" on the outside of the inner ABS (black) pipe. The ABS has a shield logo of UPC on it, with 4 and S along the edge. I can see someone used some solvent to glue it on some white plastic that glue it back to the black pipe going down instead of the common practice of screwed to the concrete or subfloor.

So, what is the "right" way to fix this? I am having a plumber coming soon but just want to know if it is a short cut or a good job.

Another question: anyone used the Home Depot's Glacier Bay Pro Flush Stealth? The one with pressure / vacuum chamber to flush ballard balls with only 1.28gal? My dad said he had to keep replacing Glacier Bay because they break down a lot and ended up replacing them all with Kohler's instead. The Glacier Bay Pro Flush Stealth seems to be a rebadge Niagara Sentinel. Nobody seems to say anything bad about it but what about long term reliability?

One more question: My toilet is "under" a "banjo countertop" that has a bottom of the countertop to be 34" height. I was told by many to avoid tall toilet for easy maintenance in the future. Let's say I am going with 2 piece toilet, what max height should I be looking for?

Another question: anyone used the Home Depot's Glacier Bay Pro Flush Stealth? The one with pressure / vacuum chamber to flush ballard balls with only 1.28gal? My dad said he had to keep replacing Glacier Bay because they break down a lot and ended up replacing them all with Kohler's instead. The Glacier Bay Pro Flush Stealth seems to be a rebadge Niagara Sentinel. Nobody seems to say anything bad about it but what about long term reliability?

Glacier Bay is Home Depot's house brand. I had a Glacier Bay dual flush, one piece toilet in my last house, (one button for pee, and one for crap), and it worked fine, and was a nice toilet. I liked the fact it was the tallest toilet I could find, and very comfortable. (I hate low toilets that make me feel like my knees are hitting my chin when I take a dump).

I also have a Glacier Bay bathroom faucet in my guest bathroom in this house. It was installed by the previous owner. And it also looks good, and works fine.

But any professional plumber will tell you they're crap. I doubt they're the same quality as a plumbing supply store, brand name faucet, (none of the big box stores plumbing fixtures are). But they're not the end of the world either. I purchased a high priced Moen faucet for my kitchen a while back. But it gets turned on and off all day long. The Glacier Bay faucet in the guest bathroom is the least used faucet in the house.

you could probably put a flange fixer on it to repair the flange. screw it all down into the floor. if the flange is reccessed sometimes 2 rings are needed to get a good seal. when i have something like this i use a fernco ring

the new low flush toilets do pretty good without assitance. the first low flush ones had issues of not flushing clean

One more question: My toilet is "under" a "banjo countertop" that has a bottom of the countertop to be 34" height. I was told by many to avoid tall toilet for easy maintenance in the future. Let's say I am going with 2 piece toilet, what max height should I be looking for?
i fixed a toilet like this. had to remove the tank to change out the flush valve. not too hard but more work than needed if it was open on top

i fixed a toilet like this. had to remove the tank to change out the flush valve. not too hard but more work than needed if it was open on top

How much clearance do you recommend for this situation? or it is pretty much pointless as you have to remove the tank anyways?

Glacier Bay is Home Depot's house brand. I had a Glacier Bay dual flush, one piece toilet in my last house, (one button for pee, and one for crap), and it worked fine, and was a nice toilet. I liked the fact it was the tallest toilet I could find, and very comfortable. (I hate low toilets that make me feel like my knees are hitting my chin when I take a dump).

I also have a Glacier Bay bathroom faucet in my guest bathroom in this house. It was installed by the previous owner. And it also looks good, and works fine.

But any professional plumber will tell you they're crap. I doubt they're the same quality as a plumbing supply store, brand name faucet, (none of the big box stores plumbing fixtures are). But they're not the end of the world either. I purchased a high priced Moen faucet for my kitchen a while back. But it gets turned on and off all day long. The Glacier Bay faucet in the guest bathroom is the least used faucet in the house.
I am aware that GB is HD house brand and aren't the same "quality". I had their shower head and they are comfortable but not that great on polish, feel, etc as say, Delta.

Dad said he ripped out a lot of GB toilet as tenants call him all the time of leaks, constant repairs, etc. He said the Kohlers he replaced them with are simple and reliable, not much call back. He got real mad when I said I got a GB power flush (Niagara Stealth rebadge). So far I heard good things about Niagara but 2 reviews: siphon pipe got stuck after 10 years, and poop get sucked back into the vacuum chamber. I was suspecting something fishy and stinky going on when they have a vacuum and pressure chamber post toilet bowl, just wonder how could they avoid that.

How much clearance do you recommend for this situation? or it is pretty much pointless as you have to remove the tank anyways?
you will need enough clearance to rermove the flush valve and the flapper. these are the most common this replaced. i would say about 6 inch clearance. removing the tank is just a couple of bolts usually and one usually change the flapper or flush valve every 5-7 years anyways.

I am aware that GB is HD house brand and aren't the same "quality". I had their shower head and they are comfortable but not that great on polish, feel, etc as say, Delta.

Dad said he ripped out a lot of GB toilet as tenants call him all the time of leaks, constant repairs, etc. He said the Kohlers he replaced them with are simple and reliable, not much call back. He got real mad when I said I got a GB power flush (Niagara Stealth rebadge). So far I heard good things about Niagara but 2 reviews: siphon pipe got stuck after 10 years, and poop get sucked back into the vacuum chamber. I was suspecting something fishy and stinky going on when they have a vacuum and pressure chamber post toilet bowl, just wonder how could they avoid that.
for my rentals i buy the cheapest . for my own house i buy the best and the best is not GB

So your "cheapest" are they usually durable?
what a toilet goes through in a rental is usually a lot more than a non rental. i have found the cheap ones plenty durable and if they mess it up i am not out much. toilets are pretty simple things in that the flush valve and flapper are usually the things to go. i can do them in less than 15 mins.

my expereince with assisted toilet is they are more trouble than they are worth. if your vents and pipes are clear any toilet should be able to flush it down with ease. if its that bad need more veggies or stool softener. LOL

While I never had to replace anything on my Glacier Bay toilet or faucet, from what I understand they can be difficult to get parts for. Such as replacement flush apparatus. It's almost easier to just replace the toilet. Same with their faucets. In that regard they're pretty much considered a disposable item by plumbers.

If you want a toilet that flushes your #2 down each and every time without ever having to use a plunger, get a toilet that uses a larger flapper. Most of your cheaper economy toilets still use the smaller diameter flapper and you don’t get the big rush of water to flush down the solids. While there’s nothing American about them, I put in an American Standard a couple of years ago and haven’t used the plunger since.

Today I painted the back of the toilet where the painter didn't paint. The wall has a shape of the toilet tank that is just primer LOL. Now I am looking at the wall and realize, my dad wants to give me his "spare" toilet for rental emergency repair (it is clean, like new, with all new hardware and wax ring, etc) but it is a round toilet instead of elongated that I used to have. I politely decline and he keeps reminding me that I need a small toilet to fit under the banjo countertop, or else I need to take the tank out every single time I replace the flapper / hardware inside.

Let's say I hate one piece toilet (just a style thing, looks too 80s and expensive), and I can easily take the tank out myself with some effort (maybe 20 mins) to fix things, I have a 34" countertop clearance from floor, and I have a choice between:

1) waiting 2 weeks for a 28.25" elongated Kohler Wellsworth (say around $260)
2) no wait off the shelf 31.25" American Standard Cadet 3 or 29.75" Mansfield Pro-Fit in stock (say below $200)
3) a round 28.25" toilet that's free and in my garage, plus make my dad proud since I listen to him instead of arguing with him ($0)
4) compact elongated toilet from American Standard and wait 1 week (around $350)
5) some exotic Toto that showcase what a "Man of Culture" the homeowner is (say $550-700) but it is the best of the best for this situation, everyone looks good except my wallet.

What is the right choice? (the original toilet is probably a 29" Mansfield with a Sloan Flushmate inside, the bottom is cracked and patched 14 years ago, not going back in despite it "may work" until the hairline cracks grow through the whole thing)

Last edited:
i used san fran to check on the stock at lowes on the wellworth toilet. they show them in stock. if you have time i would pick one up at the closet lowes instead of waiting for 2 weeks

I have put in a Toto Entrada (their least expensive) and American Standard Cadet 3 in our place. Both are 1.28 gpf and work excellently. You really have to try to clog them. I would go by price and appearance.

FWIW, uh anatomically speaking the high "chair height" toilets do not work as well as the regular height ones. Unfortunately HD/Lowes seem to carry 90% the higher ones, I guess the hefty average American needs a little help getting on and off 😁

jeff

i used san fran to check on the stock at lowes on the wellworth toilet. they show them in stock. if you have time i would pick one up at the closet lowes instead of waiting for 2 weeks
Interesting, I just checked and they are all avail in Jan 31st instead, and at $400+

We just put a Cimarron Rev 360 2-piece in place of an American Standard. Way more better. One power flush with less water. Her Highness will never clog it. It goes "whoooosh" like an airline toilet.
The PO had put Glacier Bay shower controls and faucets in both bathrooms and GB faucet in the kitchen. I replaced all with Moen last weekend. You can not only see, but actually feel, the quality difference.

Update: I was able to get my parents' usual plumber to come visit yesterday and he remove the old flange's metal, installed a replacement flange ring (on top of the ABS pipe instead of under it (stainless steel Oatey mounted with 6 bolts to the concrete slab), he said it won't leak and will promise it won't leak for at least 10 years if he install the toilet, no guarantee if he didn't install it himself.

Since he didn't charge extra for installing the toilet, even the single piece, I took up that offer and rush to Home Depot and bought a $360 Kohler Santa Rosa. 28" compact elongated, fit my space well and it is elongated. He got it in there and installed it in 15 mins, even threw in the new water line (old one was too short for the ADA height toilet today) for free. Wife likes the way it look, I'm ok with it but the dimension fits well, just that it is heavy so I may not be able to replace it myself in the future (109lb). The banjo countertop shaded the tank lid lips that people complained about, so all is well now.

An extra $100 over the Kohler Wellworth sure beats lighting up a scent candle to deodorize the bathroom until it is fixed in another week, and lose the 10 year leak free guarantee and the free installation. This guy also only charged me 1/2 as much as the guys on Yelp too.

Last edited:
Back