Watches

Originally Posted by fixitpete
Had a G-Shock that was incredible. the bands keep breaking but that thing never dies.

Agree. Best watches i've ever owned.

I like my low priced Citizen watch with Eco-drive, atomic time adjustment, and perpetual movement. It even knows which year is a leap year.

only mechanical watch i have left . Muhle Glashutte

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Back in the mid 80's my dads company did a septic tank install for a man. He didn't have enough money to pay him so he gave my dad a very nice Movado watch as partial payment. My son now has that watch.

My first venture into smart watches... Amazfit T-Rex. I mainly bought it for its exercise tracking functions, and not for its smart watch functions which are rather limited, and which I don't need. I also like the G-Shock-like rugged looks.

Poor man's apple watch. :)

X6hiApp.jpg

I've been into watches since college, mainly dive watches. Since I retired three years ago, I don't wear a watch a lot but still have a bunch of them.

I have Doxa's, Seiko's, Zixen's, and Scurfa's. Most of these have automatic movements but most of the Scurfa watches are quartz which I'm starting to like more. Getting an automatic watch serviced these days is expensive and you have to wear it constantly to keep it going.

I've been following watches for about 10 years now. I own a Citizen EcoDrive, a few Seiko mechanicals, and Timex Ironman that I've bought over the years. My Dad wears a 1960's Omega Constellation from his great grandfather. Once his great grandfather passed, his Dad wore it and then it was handed down to my Dad when he passed. He had it restored and it looks great.

Loving watches and wanting something to "pass down", I bought an Omega Seamaster about 4 years ago which is definitely my favorite and often daily wearer. This is probably the only "luxury" thing I own. But I love it and I don't regret the purchase. I haven't timed it lately, but last I checked it was within 1 or 2 seconds/day. I will probably need to service it in a few years.

Pictures

Last edited:
UD,

Nice Rolex.... but I’d be worried wearing to watch out in public.

People generally insure them. It costs less than $100/yr in most cases.

Unfortunately, many people who wear a “nice” watch may be seen as snobbish, etc. There are some “purists” who wear them because they appreciate the horology and mechanics of a mechanical watch. Then you have those who ruin it for everyone by wearing it purely as a status symbol and buy it for the “brand.”

At the end of the day, some appreciate jet skis, boats, new cars, nice wine, and some appreciate a quality timepiece and find value in it. Personally I appreciate quality timepieces because they can last generations and be passed down to family.

Last edited:
People generally insure them. It costs less than $100/yr in most cases.

Unfortunately, many people who wear a “nice” watch may be set seen as snobbish, etc. There are some “purists” who wear them because they appreciate the horology and mechanics of a mechanical watch. Then you have those who ruin it for everyone by wearing it purely as a status symbol and buy it for the “brand.”

At the end of the day, some appreciate jet skis, boats, new cars, nice wine, and some appreciate a quality timepiece and find value in it. Personally I appreciate quality timepieces because they can last generations and be passed down to family.

Im very sensitive to how and when I wear these, its usually business trips, or office attire hidden under a shirt.

Snobbery is real and I remember a high school job pulling down 3.10 and hour as a fast food cook and my boss was a complete toolbag that shoved his 5K rolex in everyones face while we all starved to death. Told myself Id never be " that" guy no mater what I could afford.

The durability and value holding of these pieces are impressive to me as there aren't many things I could enjoy every day the dont crumble to dust.

UD

Last edited:
I wear a TT Datejust nearly every day(stainless/18K yellow with a champagne dial and fluted 18K bezel). Along with the Sub, I'd say the Datejust, and that particular color combo, is something a lot of folks will recognize as a Rolex. Add in the Cyclops too and you have even more brand recognition. BTW, even though I didn't specifically go seeking it, mine has a diamond dial(and yes, it's a factory dial, not one of the cheesy aftermarket ones, with the paperwork to show that's how Rolex shipped it).

I'm not too picky about where I wear it. I don't if I'm doing volunteer work with homeless or other low income folks because I don't want it to look like I'm showing off, but otherwise it's pretty much always on my wrist if I'm out of the house. I'm a chemist and will pull it off if I'm working with stuff that either won't place nicely with an acrylic crystal. Car work sometimes gets it off my wrist since I don't like spending too much time polishing the crystal.

Aside from that, though, it's a reliable daily companion that keeps good time(maybe -3s on a bad week) but is also like putting on a pair of broken in shoes when I put it on my wrist in the morning.

Truth be told, few folks notice it, and the ones that do usually will just complement. I don't fish for complements and I don't show it off(unless someone notices and asks)-I just wear it and glance at it when I need to know the time or date. No, it's not insured either-I'm not insuring a watch worth $3K...

Funny enough, too, I've had the same discussion about Mont Blanc pens, since there's usually an MB 146 in my shirt pocket. People DO like having them there to show that they've "made it." For me, my 146 is just a daily companion that is comfortable for me to use whether it's a quick note or a lot more-the nib is sized to my taste, it's smooth, easy starting, and wet, holds a lot of ink, and the overall size/weight/balance of the 146 is perfect for me. It's not the only pen that checks all those boxes(a Pelikan 800 comes pretty darn close also, but I don't like the balance as much and find the "cigar" MB shape more to my liking than the "straighter" Pelikans) but is one and I like it.

I have so many watches that I can't keep track of them. Somewhere I have a Bulova Precisionist and a couple Seikos. My personal favorite is my TAG Heuer 2000, model 964.013. Don't wear it much anymore as it's gotten hard to find parts for.
IMG_6156.jpg

Second favorite is my Submariner model 5513 (1978), it's nearly perfect and I still have the box and paperwork. Plastic crystal has a couple light scratches which could be polished out. At some point I'm going to attempt to have it regulated, it gains about 8 seconds an hour right now.
IMG_6105.jpg

The one that I always forget about is my TAG Heuer F1, it's a second generation model 374.513, stainless case and bracelet with a black/red face.
It cost about $75 new in the early '90s and I wore it every day for a decade, beat it up pretty bad and quit wearing it when the clasp broke and I couldn't find a new one. When I restored it, I spent almost a year finding the correct bezel. Took forever but I completed it with the proper NOS TAG parts. I've worn it twice since then, but the last time I had it serviced the local TAG dealer offered me $400 for it.
IMG_6182.jpg

My beater as of late has been an Orient Mako II, it's probably the best $200 watch out there. Same case as the old Bulova Marine Star. Consistently gains about 7 seconds a day, Orient says +/-15 seconds is normal.
IMG_0037.jpg

I have a watch collection. I've always been fascinated with the tiny machines we wear to measure time. Currently I have several high end Swiss made watches and even more moderately priced Japanese watches. I alternate wearing them so I have lots of experience comparing the 'quirks and features' of each.

My overall impression is that the Swiss make watches like Mercedes/BMW make cars. Very expensive, complicated, need lots of service and can be unreliable.

OTOH the Japanese make fine time pieces that run well with minimal service, almost Toyota like. Yes some Japanese watches are very expensive (Grand Seiko, Citizen caliber 0100, Orient Royal Star) but generally most are affordable.

I'm still a Swiss watch fan however and am looking to add a Hamilton Khaki and Tissot (had one for 30 years) to my collection.

BTW my best watch is a Breitling Aerospace.

Are you interested in horology?
A friend of mine is a Rolex fanatic and very OCD, as am I. I have yet to see a perfect Rolex. Some have a hair in them, some don't keep time so hot, some this, some that. It's frustrating.

Second favorite is my Submariner model 5513 (1978), it's nearly perfect and I still have the box and paperwork. Plastic crystal has a couple light scratches which could be polished out. At some point I'm going to attempt to have it regulated, it gains about 8 seconds an hour right now.

Nice Sub, and I love the look(what some people call patina) on the dial.

Just a quick comment on regulating...back when I first got my Datejust, which is a couple years newer than your Sub although it has a 3035 instead of a 1570.

In any case, it was okay but too far off for my liking(a couple of seconds a day). I put it on my ancient timing machine, charted it by position, and stopped by a local watchmaker to see if he could regulate it(I brought the tape with me). It's beyond me to do it myself, as I don't have a Microstella wrench and wouldn't use it often enough to make it worth getting one.

In any case, the watchmaker looked at the tape I handed him and said "You need a new timing machine." He then tossed it on his and showed me the screen. He pointed out a subtle sinusoidal pattern on the trace that was there in all positions, but most apparently dial up and dial down. Without saying too much else(he's a Russian guy and not particularly prone to drawn out conversations) he unscrews the back(using the giant press Rolex now recommends), says "I need to adjust the hairspring", makes a few tweaks with his tweezers, then adjusts the timing screws. He sticks it back on the timing machine and it's perfect. It shows a quarter of a second a day maximum variation across positions, and dead-on dial up and stem down(the two most important positions for a wristwatch). It held a couple seconds a month from then on, and when he serviced it earlier this year he kept it to the same performance.

With that said, though, at 8 seconds an hour I think you're well beyond what can be regulated out, and there's most likely something deeper going on in it. When I see that kind of variation in any watch, the first thing I'm going to do is demagnetize it without even checking to see if it's magnetized. Often that will clear up that kind of variation. If not, you're likely looking at something more sinister. An easy fix, but unlikely, would be oil on the hairspring. A slightly sneakier, and more difficult to fix, one would be a damaged balance pivot(usually but not always, a damaged pivot will show up as dramatic dial up and dial down variation, so that's something you can easily check if say you've been primarily running it dial up and base that timing on that). Even with shock protection, a bad fall or knock can still "hammer' one of the pivots into the cap jewel and mushroom it or chip it. The shock springs at the end of the day only have so much "give" to them.

A weak mainspring will tend to affect stem positions more than dial positions, and it would have to be really bad to cause that much deviation. It could also just be way overdue for service.

A watch running that fast more than likely has very low amplitude(probably low enough that you could easily see if even with an untrained eye if you had the back off) and it's most likely because something is robbing power somewhere in the train.

My Date Just runs +- 3 seconds/day if I wear it constantly. If I switch out with another watch for a day the Rolex is usually way off. My Omega Seamaster coaxial is slow no matter what I do with it. I'm convinced that right out of the box any mid grade Japanese timepiece is equal to most Swiss products. I have an Orient Mako like the one getawheel has above and it runs and runs and doesn't care what I do to it.

Back