Walked into someone's garage and was greeted with this beastly monster.

Hasn't this always been the case? The C5 looks far different than a C1.

Corvettes have always been attention getters, IMO. Seems logical that the new ones would one-up the older ones in grabbing attention on the road. :) Plus, there's no denying the benefits of having a mid-engine vs front. Plus, mid-engine cars get huge amounts of attention from people looking into the engine bay.
Yes, but from the C2 to the C5, the Vette carried on with certain style traits, like the 4 round tail lights, the hideaway headlights, and the double arch dash just to name a few...

I'm curious to know what you have that has a lot more power. I know stock Vettes aren't the fastest cars on the road, but they're not exactly a slouch either...

I thought you'd asked me that in past threads. But at any rate, it's a 5th gen Viper with forced induction, most of the ACR package except for the giant rear wing, as that slows it down on the top end too much for open road challenge events. It's about 1100 hp and torque. About 930-950 rwhp and rwlb-ft, depending on conditions. I rebuilt the Tremec trans to better cope with the power.

I thought you'd asked me that in past threads. But at any rate, it's a 5th gen Viper with forced induction, most of the ACR package except for the giant rear wing, as that slows it down on the top end too much for open road challenge events. It's about 1100 hp and torque. About 930-950 rwhp and rwlb-ft, depending on conditions. I rebuilt the Tremec trans to better cope with the power.
Yikes! That's a race car with a license plate!

The new Vette is a world class sports car. And will get better as more variants are developed and released.
If I were spending this kinda money, I would probably opt for a Tesla Model 3 Performance, but this car is flat out awesome.
I have had 4 Corvettes; I thought I was burned out on them. But this one is amazing; it is history with its mid engine design.
I just think the price is much closer to $100K than $60K. Especially with the dealer markup.

The new Vette is a world class sports car. And will get better as more variants are developed and released.
If I were spending this kinda money, I would probably opt for a Tesla Model 3 Performance, but this car is flat out awesome.
I have had 4 Corvettes; I thought I was burned out on them. But this one is amazing; it is history with its mid engine design.
I just think the price is much closer to $100K than $60K. Especially with the dealer markup.
The Vette has been a world class sports car since the C5, but it hasn't always been ugly...

The Vette has been a world class sports car since the C5, but it hasn't always been ugly...
Corvettes have also raced against the best since their early days.
Purists may not have praised them, but just the same...
Here's the famed L88 LeMans racer. Ferrari gave the Corvette team their 5th spot, but required the '68 Vette to be resprayed red and wear the Prancing Horse.
68 L88.jpg

It's Zeus Bronze Metallic.

I was wrong about the color not having "any" golden color to it. It's not quite brown, which is being exasperated by the poor whitebalance and the garage lights having a warm color temp. Out in the sun, the car is 95% metallic looking and has a slight bronze tint in the highlights. I could get a better shot of it if it is parked outdoors and I had my Sony camera for getting RAW files and making sure the white balance is correct.

Here's an online shot someone else took of the color. This is far more accurate than my garage shot.

IAkXIfC.jpg

It is still brown. The fancy paint name means nothing.

With this angle that air scoop at the rear panel looks way too big.

I've seen a bunch of C8's on the road and studied a few of them at all angles while parked. Just not warming up to them.
First impression was, Chevy Vega. And that's kind of stuck with me now.

I agree, they are ugly and look like try hard wannabe Ferrari's.... Does notlook like a "Vette" at all.. It lost it's heritage..
My old man had a 2010 supercharged ZR1, now THAT was a nice looking Corvette.

I've seen a bunch of C8's on the road and studied a few of them at all angles while parked. Just not warming up to them.
First impression was, Chevy Vega. And that's kind of stuck with me now.
Yes, they look exactly like the Vega … 👀

All car designs have to evolve, including the Corvette. I see the C1 as the prototype phase, where the world was first introduced to an American sports car. The C2 got real performance and resulting racing heritage. C3 was where the swoopy lines and Stingray name got started. C4, C5 and C6 are clean evolutions of the classic Corvette shape, each getting more power and better handling (and more technology, naturally). I think they got carried away with the "Jet Fighter" theme beginning with the C7, and now even more edgy with the C8. But the mid-engine design is such a radical change, I think the C8 had to be striking. Just imagine the global mockery if they tried to make it look classic.

Corvettes have also raced against the best since their early days.
Purists may not have praised them, but just the same...
Here's the famed L88 LeMans racer. Ferrari gave the Corvette team their 5th spot, but required the '68 Vette to be resprayed red and wear the Prancing Horse.
View attachment 38471
It looks like the side mirror is mounted on top of a 2x4 haha.

The car was built by the GoodYear team from a wrecked '68 convertible they purchased for $600.
Then it wrecked in trials at LeMans. They actually duct taped the front end back together.
The car could no longer run full out.
Finishing at the 24 Hours of LeMans is quite a feat. The Vette finished 7th overall.
This car set the Corvette record that lasted more than 20 years.

All car designs have to evolve, including the Corvette. I see the C1 as the prototype phase, where the world was first introduced to an American sports car. The C2 got real performance and resulting racing heritage. C3 was where the swoopy lines and Stingray name got started. C4, C5 and C6 are clean evolutions of the classic Corvette shape, each getting more power and better handling (and more technology, naturally). I think they got carried away with the "Jet Fighter" theme beginning with the C7, and now even more edgy with the C8. But the mid-engine design is such a radical change, I think the C8 had to be striking. Just imagine the global mockery if they tried to make it look classic.

Evolution doesn't have to = ugly...

That color combo doesn't do it any favors...

I've seen a few on the road, though - they do look a lot better in person.

Just a shame they aren't offered with a proper manual.

There's some resemblance, maybe cousins second removed. But the Vette is bigger and quite a bit heavier than an Evora.
.........and a whole great, big bunch faster. I've been on racetracks with Evoras, and my C4 is just as fast. But it gets slayed by C6's and C7's. And the C8 is as fast as the C7.

Last edited:
Saw a black one in person the other day... I really like it. The C7 is still by far the best looking Corvette they’ve made yet though.
My favorite is the C6. The C7 is nice, but a little bit overwrought for me. The C8 is even more overwrought with a lot of elements that look tacked on, and the front end is too stubby. But they all look good if they're fast when you're behind the wheel. Slower cars look good receding in the rearview mirror.

I cant believe what they have done with the Fiero! I always thought the '88 Gt was the pinnacle of the Fiero, however it has defiantly evolved some. Idk, Im still torn. '88 or the new ones.....tough call.
The '88 Fiero had all of 140 HP. The C8 has 490. Choice is easy.

Back