Ford Quick Lane Oil Change Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been doing my own oil changes since high school (mid 60's). Bought my wife a new 2010 Fusion and got some free oil changes with it. Wasn't going to use them but decided in a moment of insanity to try one. Took it in to the dealer quick lane and they got it done in about 45 minutes. Got the car home and after it cooled down, for 1/2 hour decided to check the oil level. I was shocked to see the oil level was well below the safe zone. It barely showed on the dipstick (about 1/8 of an inch above the bottom tip). I had to add almost 2 quarts to get the oil level in the safe zone. I was livid and called the service manager immediately. He was very apologetic and checked on who worked on my car while I was on hold. He told me it was the quick lane supervisor who did the work and could not understand how it happened. He offered me 3 additional free changes as compensation. I told him that he was nuts if he thought I was going to give his shop 3 more chances to destroy the cars engine.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Originally Posted By: Stevie
My Mercedes dealer treats customers like royalty.

Took my SLK to my Mercedes Dealer for new tires and alignment, my service advisor met me at my door under covered entrance. They checked all fluids, battery, and brakes for free. Courtesy car wash and detail, inside and out.

In waiting room, all kinds of treats, pastries, ice cream, fancy coffee, and even free I pads to use . Big screen TV.

The other Mercedes dealer up the road even provides a free masseuse while you wait.

If you have to leave your car, as I did on a Friday for a minor warranty thingy, they gave me a brand new Mercedes loaner to use over the weekend.

I didn't even buy my car from them as I purchased used. Can't say how pleased I am with the outstanding service.

In house massueses is so 2016.

My dealer actually whisks my wife & I to the airport and then flies us to France for a tour of the various wineries.

Seriously though, the arrogance of some of these posts is quite hilarious.

Not trying to be arrogant, the OP gave his experiences at the dealer and I gave mine.
Mine was a very pleasant experience and no reason I can't share it is there?

Not trying to be arrogant, the OP gave his experiences at the dealer and I gave mine.

German luxury brand service is in a different category in and of itself. Not relatable to a lot of people, especially to those that have class envy issues.

A banal case of social envy. I guess, it's safer to omit how nicely my Lexus dealer treats me
smile.gif

Always a pleasure to read the "I do it my self because someone else might make a mistake" posts.

They never get old around here!

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Always a pleasure to read the "I do it my self because someone else might make a mistake" posts.

NO! They get very old and they are repetitive.

However-these threads allow all the do -it-yourselvers to join hands and sing KUMBAYA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN

However-these threads allow all the do -it-yourselvers to join hands and sing KUMBAYA.

What song will you sing when an incompetent shop damages the engine in your car with a botched oil change?

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
My Mercedes dealer treats customers like royalty.

Took my SLK to my Mercedes Dealer for new tires and alignment, my service advisor met me at my door under covered entrance. They checked all fluids, battery, and brakes for free. Courtesy car wash and detail, inside and out.

In waiting room, all kinds of treats, pastries, ice cream, fancy coffee, and even free I pads to use . Big screen TV.

The other Mercedes dealer up the road even provides a free masseuse while you wait.

If you have to leave your car, as I did on a Friday for a minor warranty thingy, they gave me a brand new Mercedes loaner to use over the weekend.

I didn't even buy my car from them as I purchased used. Can't say how pleased I am with the outstanding service.

In house massueses is so 2016.

My dealer actually whisks my wife & I to the airport and then flies us to France for a tour of the various wineries.

Seriously though, the arrogance of some of these posts is quite hilarious.

Of course not.

I just find some of the posts surprising in what is considered ordinary.

I would not let most mechanics touch my vehicles and I actually enjoy the task of performing my oil changes so this entire concept is foreign to me but then to have massueses on staff...well that just makes me chuckle.

Since this is a forum first and foremost about lubricants and guys who frequently are either pros or hobbyists I would hope someone would not be surprised a large percentage change their own oil.

I am not sure that a forum filled with people who share interests should be considered a kumbaya moment.

But this thread is a very good reminder to me that he forum is filled with many different membership and I enjoy the differing viewpoints.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

German luxury brand service is in a different category in and of itself. Not relatable to a lot of people, especially to those that have class envy issues.

I assure you that being treated like royalty is not something I have ever aspired to.

I think of it as less an issue of class or even economics as one of a spoiled character.

Is BITOG now a forum where men congregate to exchange their latest pedicure experience?

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake

What song will you sing when an incompetent shop damages the engine in your car with a botched oil change?

And how many threads do we see that an engine was actually damaged-by a "Quick Lube" type place. Not many....not many at all.

Originally Posted By: Donald
At the dealership I would expect the drain plug washer to be changed. Was it?

Not all cars or trucks use a drain plug replaceable washer. I never even knew cars used them until our first Acura. Our GM's and Ford's don't have them, the Toyota does.

Just recently finally had to replace the original drain plug on my son's 2004 Buick Rendezvous with 237000 miles at the time. The rubber built in gasket finally started leaking after 5000 mile oil changes since new!

And how many threads do we see that an engine was actually damaged-by a "Quick Lube" type place. Not many....not many at all.

So you think that just because you didn't see it in a thread that it didn't happen? News flash. Not everyone reports vehicle maintenance incidents in on line forums. Most of the people I know are not members of car forums and never have been.

https://youtu.be/rHDv5enevEA

Didn't reset OLM? You should take your car back in and act upset. "My car says you didn't change the oil!" That might straighten up the lazy tech who did your oil change. Hopefully he didn't cross thread any lug nuts and put ALL the skid plate hardware back up tight.

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
Didn't reset OLM? You should take your car back in and act upset. "My car says you didn't change the oil!" That might straighten up the lazy tech who did your oil change. Hopefully he didn't cross thread any lug nuts and put ALL the skid plate hardware back up tight.

In the real world, it will almost never get back to the tech. The service advisory will feign concern to placate you and send you on your way none the wiser.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Also, I asked for the coolant to be filled to the MAX line. Wasn't done.
It should only be at the MAX line when hot. When COLD it should be at the MIN line or a little above. They might not want to overfill it.

As for resetting the IOLM yourself, its easy to do yourself.

There was another guy on this forum whose Ford got the wrong viscosity oil (5w20 in a 5w30 car), so its DIY for me for sure. Can't trust them. Plus, they don't use Fram Ultras.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Ding, ding, ding! THAT is the reason why I do my own oil changes, too many opportunities for a minimum wage tech to screw up!

I agree 100%. This is the first time since 1987 that someone else has changed my oil. But as I mentioned above, I'm getting older and want to spend my time elsewhere instead of dealing with the underbody shield and stupid filter location on this engine. I expect the service to be done 100% right if I'm paying for it.

I will still change the oil myself on our Edge because everything is easy to get to.

I removed the shield on my 2017 Fusion and it ain't goin back on. I also removed the shield on my 2007 Fusion when I first bought it.

Fair enough. So, is your gold standard to judge a quick lube place that "nothing was damaged?" Non-spec oils, filters not explicitly listed by an application guide, overfilling, underfilling, paying for work that wasn't done, and upsells are all okay, as long as there's no damage?

I will be singing that all time favorite "Oh how I wish I had listened to the all knowing Gods who told us that a respectable owner would never, ever let anyone else change their oil"

It should be sung in the key of G, with a slow and mournful tempo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back