VW Tiguan 2.0 Tdi 4motion 2021

Have asked a bunch of dealers now and all of them says 504 00/507 00 5w30 or 0w-30... Just my dealer that said 508 00/509 00, probably wont confront them about it either, because I have an authorised VW workshop closer to home so will never service/repair my car there either way.

But funny thing is that I asked the question to VW official facebook messenger about my specific car and that i got mixed answers and at first they didn´t want to answer but then they said they looked it up and said that 508 00 / 509 00 is approved for my car.... But I got a feeling that the person answering is just some random PR person with absolutely no knowledge, but it´s good to have a documentet reply that it´s OK because the reason for all these wondering is that I already poured 1L of 508 00/509 00 to top up.

So again mixed messages but 3 dealers said 504 00/507 00 5w30 or 0w-30 so I think I will go with that until mobil1, castrol etc. have my car in their search engines online and I can check whats actually correct that way...

Also the slightly thicker feels more resonable since I tow a quite big caravan alot, or am I wrong here?

I use a 504 00 oil in my gasoline Tiguan that specifies 508 00 oils, there is no downside to the slightly higher HT/HS. A 507 00 oil would be my pick for your engine.

It is an administrative requirement NOT a mechanical requirement unless VW runs some special variable pump that no one else runs.
In the case of the 2019 GTI, it is a special variable oil pump.

Which you forgot you participated in the thread.

And again, not one verifiable technical reason why an oil with a higher HT/HS would somehow be detrimental to either that pump nor the engine.

Also just to beat this a little bit more there is likewise no evidence that the green dye is present to "catch" someone using a thicker oil either. It may just as well be there to help prevent the use of the thinner 508 00 oil in engines that do not specify it. Although people like to make the argument for the former there is no evidence that it is the reason.

VAG does like to tint it’s oils different colours. Gearbox oil is a good example, you can tell what oil it is and what box it goes into by the colour

Also just to beat this a little bit more there is likewise no evidence that the green dye is present to "catch" someone using a thicker oil either. It may just as well be there to help prevent the use of the thinner 508 00 oil in engines that do not specify it.

Yes, I'm quite sure that's exactly the way it is.

OK, what happens when VW504.00/507.00 is used? Does the engine explode?
This reminds me of My Cousin Vinny and Grits.

And again, not one verifiable technical reason why an oil with a higher HT/HS would somehow be detrimental to either that pump nor the engine.

Also just to beat this a little bit more there is likewise no evidence that the green dye is present to "catch" someone using a thicker oil either. It may just as well be there to help prevent the use of the thinner 508 00 oil in engines that do not specify it. Although people like to make the argument for the former there is no evidence that it is the reason.
Only VW has a special pump. Other manufacturers have non-special variable pumps :)

I use a 504 00 oil in my gasoline Tiguan that specifies 508 00 oils, there is no downside to the slightly higher HT/HS. A 507 00 oil would be my pick for your engine.
If I can ask, how many miles do you have on the Tiguan using the 504? I'm in the same boat. It would seem that if it were a problem, then there would be a trail of broken B cycle engines for the naysayers to point to.

If I can ask, how many miles do you have on the Tiguan using the 504? I'm in the same boat. It would seem that if it were a problem, then there would be a trail of broken B cycle engines for the naysayers to point to.
About 21,000 at this time (we drive quite a bit). And I never said there was a problem since the HT/HS of the 508 00 oil is adequate under most circumstances. But that’s not what I’m after, and there’s no downside to a somewhat higher HT/HS other than a slightly lower fuel economy that I’ll never see in real-world driving. A smallish 4-cylinder engine with a turbocharger isn’t an unreasonable application in which to use the 504 00.

Not sure this is relevant to the TDi, but some thought VW made no significant change to the EA888 when incorporating " Buddack", but the truth was a little different. Do these differences require a 0w20? Not so sure.

Screenshot_20210904-184635_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
When VAG first started using 508/509 a document Was posted on the internal tech site saying to use 504/507 if the 508/509 was not available. The only reason this advise has been withdrawn is to ensure correct emissions output. (UK market)

No engine mechanically requires a 20-grade. Some engines use the VVT actuators as a nanny to enforce the use as part of a CAFE award, but there is no mechanical aspect of that or any engine which would require the use.

Good point made. Some engines can use 20 grade, no engine needs 20 grade. That's important to understand.

Some manufacturers as well as some racing teams chose thinner oil for reduced drag thus increased efficiency.

That's all about it.

It's been posted here dealers will put 504 in your 508 spec'd engine without so much as batting an eye if you ask them too. I don't have a 508 engine so no first hand experience myself on that.

IIRC, VW/AUDI has recommended some flavor of Castrol for quite a while. Your Diesel Motor changes the issue ??

Back