‘19 GTI specs 0w-20 508 00

Two things:

The 2019 engines are have slightly different internals--specifically a variable oil pump along with a few other changes. The Clubsport/Golf R engines do not have the "new" oil pump and do not require the thinner oil.

The second item, not all 508 oils are dyed green.

Originally Posted by jeff8407
The second item, not all 508 oils are dyed green.

It is enshrined in the 508 00 specification document - any non-green oils are technically non-compliant.

If you care about HTHS being 3.5 or higher and need the vulcan blood for warranty compliance....There's Liqui Moly Molygen 5w40

Originally Posted by LotI
The engine ......Would you run this difficult to find oil or just run the existing 502 00 spec?
Not hard to find shipped via Amazon, or I think NAPA autoparts stores can order it too:
https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-20238-6200-Motor/dp/B073577QC8/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1
which is a specific VW 508 oil. While in warranty, just do what VW says.
After warranty, any full syn 0w20, preferably a premium one like M1 AP, should do fine.
I could see using an LL-01FE BMW-style 0w30 (HTHS 3.0) oil though once warranty is out. Or any premium 5w30 dexos1 oil, like Castrol Gold Bottle, etc. ... You don't need to exceed VW's HTHS 2.7 recommendation too much.

Last edited:
LM Molygen...only recommended...is not approved so a warranty issue

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by LotI
The engine ......Would you run this difficult to find oil or just run the existing 502 00 spec?
Not hard to find shipped via Amazon, or I think NAPA autoparts stores can order it too:
https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-20238-6200-Motor/dp/B073577QC8/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1
which is a specific VW 508 oil. While in warranty, just do what VW says.
After warranty, any full syn 0w20, preferably a premium one like M1 AP, should do fine.
I could see using an LL-01FE BMW-style 0w30 (HTHS 3.0) oil though once warranty is out. Or any premium 5w30 dexos1 oil, like Castrol Gold Bottle, etc. ... You don't need to exceed VW's HTHS 2.7 recommendation too much.

You do realize that recommendations was minimum 3.5cp until this year and that nothing changed in the engine?
It is VW's oil games. BMW now recommends 0W20, BUT it says in manual that LL01 is also OK to use.
In Europe BMW still uses LL04 in engines that are slotted for 0W20 in the US, as well as VW, which uses VW504.00/507.00 in Europe. It is called CAFE and bet that average customer will not eep cars pass warranty. Also, BMW engineers complained about excessive short trips in the US, so it seems that there is an attempt to address that issue with lighter oils.
But those who know what they doing, should stick to min HTHS 3.5.
And no, regular 0W20 will not cut it!

Edy, they did change the oil pump to variable displacement and the variable valve system has been modified from previous. They have been using 508 spec in some applications overseas since spring 2016.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Edy, they did change the oil pump to variable displacement and the variable valve system has been modified from previous. They have been using 508 spec in some applications overseas since spring 2016.

VW504.00/507.00 ix still go to oil in EU.
So, you saying they changed rod bearing clerences, material, turbo etc?
Basically EA888 now has different rod bearings, turbo, materials etc than EA888 last year?

Bottom line: For any engine whose manufacturer and warrantor says to use HTHS 2.7, there is no reason to ever use more than HTHS 3.0, even for racing.
(The HTHS 2.7 already takes into account desert thrashing, high-altitude hot mountain driving, etc., so a 10% margin on top of that is all one would ever need for the worst duty cycles that engine can stand, the worst abuse you can dish out. )

Bottom line: For any engine whose manufacturer and warrantor says to use HTHS 2.7......(The HTHS 2.7 already takes into account desert thrashing, high-altitude hot mountain driving, etc....)

Where is this 2.7 HTHS "recommendation" coming from? The VW spec says >=2.6cP and I've never seen an OEM specifically recommend an HTHS requirement.

Bottom line: For any engine whose manufacturer and warrantor says to use HTHS 2.7, there is no reason to ever use more than HTHS 3.0, even for racing.
(The HTHS 2.7 already takes into account desert thrashing, high-altitude hot mountain driving, etc., so a 10% margin on top of that is all one would ever need for the worst duty cycles that engine can stand, the worst abuse you can dish out. )

That warranty is 72,000 miles in the engine that until this year was specd. for 3.5, and never went through any substantial changes and engine that is still specd. for minimum 3.5cp in Europe.
Bottom line, VW is betting you will be fine for 100k, after that, you will buy new vehicle. Do not forget that R version of this vehicle is still running on HTHS min. 3.5.

Originally Posted by weasley
Bottom line: For any engine whose manufacturer and warrantor says to use HTHS 2.7......(The HTHS 2.7 already takes into account desert thrashing, high-altitude hot mountain driving, etc....)

Where is this 2.7 HTHS "recommendation" coming from? The VW spec says >=2.6cP and I've never seen an OEM specifically recommend an HTHS requirement.

It is based on specifications. Specifications require minimum HTHS.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Basically EA888 now has different rod bearings, turbo, materials etc than EA888 last year?

If I wanted to say that, I would have said it. I don't know if they did or not. I am just telling you what I know to be true, they did not make 'no changes.'

Originally Posted by edyvw

If I wanted to say that, I would have said it. I don't know if they did or not. I am just telling you what I know to be true, they did not make 'no changes.'

And R version still uses HTHS 3.5.
But, do not forget that new oil pump might add some fuel efficiency and valvetrain, which is same as in EU, where VW504.00/507.00 is used.
There is only one word to this: CAFE.
Also, wait a bit, it is VW, they will update oil requirements. Give them year or two. It is ongoing soap opera since 1997.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Cant still get my head around why they even recommend 504/507 over the 502 spec in a high hp car.

OK I'll play dumb. Don't they all have the same minimum HTHS?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Cant still get my head around why they even recommend 504/507 over the 502 spec in a high hp car.

Yes

I'm sure there is more specifics but the SAPS level is the main difference and 504 has higher anti-wear requirement and long life certification.

Last edited:
I'm sure there is more specifics but the SAPS level is the main difference and 504 has higher anti-wear requirement and long life certification.

Yes, I was going off of the poster's specific question about "a high hp car."

I thought maybe he was concerned about it meeting API SN
wink.gif

Ok i play dumb....What the f? Really.. do have some mental issue? High saps oils vs mid saps oil, that what i meant!

Ok i play dumb....What the f? Really.. do have some mental issue? High saps oils vs mid saps oil, that what i meant!

You really need to control your language better.

OK I'll play dumb again. What does "a high hp car" have to do with the SAPS level?

Back