‘19 GTI specs 0w-20 508 00

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Originally Posted by kschachn
Cant still get my head around why they even recommend 504/507 over the 502 spec in a high hp car.

OK I'll play dumb. Don't they all have the same minimum HTHS?

Ok i play dumb....What the f? Really.. do have some mental issue? High saps oils vs mid saps oil, that what i meant!

You really need to control your language better.

OK I'll play dumb again. What does "a high hp car" have to do with the SAPS level?

You need to control your attitude. You go and figure

Let me double down on what was said.
Let's all play dumb:
What SAPS level has to do with high hp?
BMW is using LL04 in M3.
So, please, can you enlighten us?

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by weasley
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Bottom line: For any engine whose manufacturer and warrantor says to use HTHS 2.7......(The HTHS 2.7 already takes into account desert thrashing, high-altitude hot mountain driving, etc....)
Where is this 2.7 HTHS "recommendation" coming from? The VW spec says >=2.6cP and I've never seen an OEM specifically recommend an HTHS requirement.

It is based on specifications. Specifications require minimum HTHS.
True 2.6 hths is the lowest you're allowed to go with VW 508, yet most 0w-20 oils are simply HTHS 2.7 +/-0.1...Not much variation seen.... Redline 0w20 is the highest I've ever seen in a 0w-20 and it's HTHS 2.9, but its an oddball in the 0w-20 universe for that. Effectively, HTHS 2.7 is where VW knows they are targeting.

You can go up in HTHS a little of course. I'd recommend going the next step up if racing or towing or pushing it over mountains in hot weather, hard stuff. The next step up would be to use an HTHS 3.0 oil. You don't have to go any further away than what the whiz-kid engineers at VW say (HTHS 2.7 ----> HTHS 3.0 is enough here. Unless you assume VW engineers are idiots and can't do durability testing.

Bottom line: For any engine whose manufacturer and warrantor says to use HTHS 2.7......(The HTHS 2.7 already takes into account desert thrashing, high-altitude hot mountain driving, etc....)
Where is this 2.7 HTHS "recommendation" coming from? The VW spec says >=2.6cP and I've never seen an OEM specifically recommend an HTHS requirement.

It is based on specifications. Specifications require minimum HTHS.
True 2.6 hths is the lowest you're allowed to go with VW 508, yet most 0w-20 oils are simply HTHS 2.7 +/-0.1...Not much variation seen.... Redline 0w20 is the highest I've ever seen in a 0w-20 and it's HTHS 2.9, but its an oddball in the 0w-20 universe for that. Effectively, HTHS 2.7 is where VW knows they are targeting.

You can go up in HTHS a little of course. I'd recommend going the next step up if racing or towing or pushing it over mountains in hot weather, hard stuff. The next step up would be to use an HTHS 3.0 oil. You don't have to go any further away than what the whiz-kid engineers at VW say (HTHS 2.7 ----> HTHS 3.0 is enough here. Unless you assume VW engineers are idiots and can't do durability testing.

Same engineers who said Dino oil in 1.8T is OK, and then got slapped with multimillion dollar law suit?
Same engineers who said VW Atlas uses 0W30 oil, but we do not have 0W30 oil?
Same engineers who said that they have clean diesel and those not need SCR system, bcs. they are just that good?
You do realize that engineers do not sell cars?

Let's all play dumb:
BMW is using LL04 in M3.

You keep asking my question. Why do VW recommend 504/507 over a 502 in higher hp cars. That i cant get my head a round. So why would i know the anwser to that? You said yourself that VW oil recommedation is a soap.

OK, but that is different from stating (in big font) that there is a 2.7cP recommendation from VW. VW only state the spec you should use, and the spec states 2.6cP minimum. Anything more than that is inference or speculation.

You keep asking my question. Why do VW recommend 504/507 over a 502 in higher hp cars. That i cant get my head a round.

FWIW I have been running the (well regarded) 504/507 Pennzoil Platinum EURO LX 0W30 in our GOLF R (296 hp) since early November 2018 (in that time it has seen temps as low as -25C/-13F, of course excluding wind chill). I plan to drain and send off a sample to Blackstones by early May (after about 4800 to 5k miles of use). And it will be replaced by another Pennzoil product but rated "only" as a 502 ie PP 5W40 EURO. I will run this from May till November (5k miles) and again I will get a UOA of it. I will post both analyses

Last edited:
OK, but that is different from stating (in big font) that there is a 2.7cP recommendation from VW.
The "big font" that bothers you was added by edyvw, not me.

Let's all play dumb:
BMW is using LL04 in M3.

You keep asking my question. Why do VW recommend 504/507 over a 502 in higher hp cars. That i cant get my head a round. So why would i know the anwser to that? You said yourself that VW oil recommedation is a soap.

I highly doubt you understand anything that is being discussed here.
Now you claim 0W20 and Low-SAPS are same? What grade has to do with SAPS level?

Let's all play dumb:
BMW is using LL04 in M3.

I highly doubt you understand anything that is being discussed here.
Now you claim 0W20 and Low-SAPS are same? What grade has to do with SAPS level?

What? ......‚ Was talking about 504/507 and 502 over here. Grade have noting to do with saps level. 508 is a mid saps oil and a emission oil just like 504/507. And the new acea c5 spec that will replace the acea a1. So the acea a1 will ge gone.

What? ......‚ Was talking about 504/507 and 502 over here. Grade have noting to do with saps level. 508 is a mid saps oil and a emission oil just like 504/507. And the new acea c5 spec that will replace the acea a1. So the acea a1 will ge gone.

I was referring to VW 508.00/509.00.
OK, so we established that.
Now tell us what SAPS has to do with horse power?
We are all eyes and ears!

OK, but that is different from stating (in big font) that there is a 2.7cP recommendation from VW.
The "big font" that bothers you was added by edyvw, not me.

Fair enough - but the words were yours. There is no "2.7 HTHS recommendation" from VW.

Saps have to do with horse power? Engine you meant? Just relax, think you only want to argue with me and you have taken this way to serious. Just take a deep breath and chill with a beer...

Saps have to do with horse power? Engine you meant? Just relax, think you only want to argue with me and you have taken this way to serious. Just take a deep breath and chill with a beer...

Let me remind you what you said:
Cant still get my head around why they even recommend 504/507 over the 502 spec in a high hp car.

So basically you just threw something you THINK you understand, and soon realized you do not know anything about it.
Thanx for establishing that.

Last edited:
Well the golf R still calls for 502/505.0. Now saying the oil pump design in the GTI calls for 0w20 makes sense; But I still think it is for emissions. If you live in America the VW dealers have no idea the oil spec changed lol. I brought my own 502/505 for my first oil change on my 2019 gti and the service writer gave me the generic service sheet.

Wow there is a lot to digest in this thread......
Is there a concise answer to the "correct" oil to use in a 2019 2.0 TSI engine?
I just purchased a brand new 2019 GLI, and I would like to do the first oil change at around 1,000 miles, and I am confused as to what the "best" weight oil is to use. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that the 0W20 508 spec was a move to appease CAFE standards. It was also noted that VW warranty's the car to 72,000 miles and after that they are betting on someone buying a new car so that don't care about long term longevity of the engine. My plan is to do 5,000 mile oil changes. I was looking at oil /oil filter prices and it basically doesn't make sense for me to do it myself......unless I want to use a different oil.
In terms of long term engine longevity, is a 5w40 oil the best in my car?

Thank you

Originally Posted by Zack1978
Wow there is a lot to digest in this thread......
Is there a concise answer to the "correct" oil to use in a 2019 2.0 TSI engine?
I just purchased a brand new 2019 GLI, and I would like to do the first oil change at around 1,000 miles, and I am confused as to what the "best" weight oil is to use. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that the 0W20 508 spec was a move to appease CAFE standards. It was also noted that VW warranty's the car to 72,000 miles and after that they are betting on someone buying a new car so that don't care about long term longevity of the engine. My plan is to do 5,000 mile oil changes. I was looking at oil /oil filter prices and it basically doesn't make sense for me to do it myself......unless I want to use a different oil.
In terms of long term engine longevity, is a 5w40 oil the best in my car?

Thank you

The car will last just as long with any of the oils, the only caveat being I probably wouldn't track the thing on the 20 grade. For commuting and a few rows through the gears here and there you have absolutely nothing to be concerned about using the 20 grade. If you plan to do some light track work or really hit some back roads hard I would probably move into a 504 rated oil instead for the sole reason it will hold up better if oil temps start to climb over say, 225 or so.

Back