VW Tiguan 2.0 Tdi 4motion 2021

Hi! I got an VW Tiguan 2.0 Tdi 4motion 2021 147kw (200hp). The manual does not say what oil to use. And I asked two different VW workshops about what oil to use, one said 0w-20 and the other 0w-30… what is correct?

Thanks for help!

The specs would be more important than the weight. Hard to believe the owners manual doesn't say what to use.
The owners manual says to contact your dealer/authorised VW workshop to get information regarding what oil to use. Then it continues on saying that if the recommended oil is not found you can use up to maximum 0,5L in between oil services of one oil that has one of following specs: VW 507 00, VW 509 00, ACEA C3, API CJ-4... But still doesn´t say what oil they really recommend..
The specs would be more important than the weight. Hard to believe the owners manual doesn't say what to use.
One authorised VW just said 0w-30.... And one said Mobil 1 ESP 0W-20VW which i understand is VW 508 00/ 509 00

Hi! I got an VW Tiguan 2.0 Tdi 4motion 2021 147kw (200hp). The manual does not say what oil to use. And I asked two different VW workshops about what oil to use, one said 0w-20 and the other 0w-30… what is correct?

Thanks for help!
It's either 507.00 or 509.00 (which is a 0w-20). Somewhere under the hood, should be a sticker stating oil requirement

The required approval is listed on a sticker under the hood. Grade is irrelevant with VW approvals.
These are the only stickers I have under the hood... Cannot see that it says anything about the oil..
IMG_20210816_175848.jpg
IMG_20210816_175901.jpg
IMG_20210816_175854_1.jpg

Well no wonder you're confused as VW manuals are unfortunately known for double speak and confusion regarding oil. The sticker is normally on the left side of your picture at the front like the others but it isn't there all right, first time I've seen that.

You actually have a TSI not a TDI correct? Or are you outside the US?

Well no wonder you're confused as VW manuals are unfortunately known for double speak and confusion regarding oil. The sticker is normally on the left side of your picture at the front like the others but it isn't there all right, first time I've seen that.

You actually have a TSI not a TDI correct? Or are you outside the US?
Yes confused is a understatement, also all of the major oil companies have no recomendations for the car in their search engines online because its a -21.

Its a TDI, I live in Sweden where diesel is more popular

Fuel filter is right there in the photos...

It's a TDI, you need 504/507.
Not necessarily, with the push for squeezing out the fuel economy for all engines, it could very well be vulcan-blood 509.00, which is 0w20.

a competent dealership would use the OP's VIN number to search for parts within the ETKA catalog.

Some additional options:
1) Pull the dipstick and wipe it on a white cloth to see if you can see a green tint to the oil or not.
2) Pull a sample and send it for UOA and the viscosity should tell you if it's a 30 weight or 20 weight oil.

All new cars here have a/c but I don't know any that even offer auxiliary heaters. Not since the air cooled VW's anyway. Heated seats pretty much eliminated the need for that. And -20C is like 5 below. Not particularly cold at all in the northern states that it would be needed.

Not necessarily, with the push for squeezing out the fuel economy for all engines, it could very well be vulcan-blood 509.00, which is 0w20.

a competent dealership would use the OP's VIN number to search for parts within the ETKA catalog.

Some additional options:
1) Pull the dipstick and wipe it on a white cloth to see if you can see a green tint to the oil or not.
2) Pull a sample and send it for UOA and the viscosity should tell you if it's a 30 weight or 20 weight oil.
Yeah, probably have to ask a third dealership and try to get some more answers there and insist that they look it up in their computer and not just pull it out of their heads... But so frustrating that there is no way to easily check it yourself!

Back