VW Tiguan 2.0 Tdi 4motion 2021

All new cars here have a/c but I don't know any that even offer auxiliary heaters. Not since the air cooled VW's anyway. Heated seats pretty much eliminated the need for that. And -20C is like 5 below. Not particularly cold at all in the northern states that it would be needed.
All new cars have AC here also, and most people order with the diesel heater here... Mostly for comfort, either preset the timer in the car and eliminate the need to scrape frost of your windows or use the app to start it from your phone, quite comfortable to walk out to a +25*C car in the morning or after work when its cold, windy and snowy outside...

All new cars here have a/c but I don't know any that even offer auxiliary heaters. Not since the air cooled VW's anyway. Heated seats pretty much eliminated the need for that. And -20C is like 5 below. Not particularly cold at all in the northern states that it would be needed.
I use my heater in NC for comfort.

I would recommend emailing your selling dealer and ask for them to reply with a screen capture of the service sheet for a flexible oil change. That will have the oil spec on it and the quantity required for a service.

Unfortunately ETKA can list various different specs with no indication of which one is correct. Only way to find out what the correct spec is, is creating a service sheet.

Auxiliary heaters will help diesel cars to get to operation temp too. New diesels engines takes decade to warm up in cold weather. Some times they never reach operation temp in cold weather

Hi! I got an VW Tiguan 2.0 Tdi 4motion 2021 147kw (200hp). The manual does not say what oil to use. And I asked two different VW workshops about what oil to use, one said 0w-20 and the other 0w-30… what is correct?

Thanks for help!
I think you can use Mobil1 esp 5w-30

I agree that it's a shame that Volkswagen makes it that hard to determine what oil to use.

From a technical standpoint using a VW 504 00/507 00 (0W/5W-30) in a VW 508 00/509 00
(0W-20) application doesn't harm. Using a VW 508 00/509 00 0W-20 in an engine designed
for VW 504 00/507 00 0W-30 or 5W-30 may cause increased wear or even component failure.

So it's mandatory to determine the correct approval. When the manual says to ask the dealer
just .... wait .... go and ask your bloody dealer. Insist getting some print-out that says what oil
is recommended by Volkswagen for your specific car (VIN specific).

I also tried to find that new 147 kW/200 hk version of the 2.0 TDI without much success. There
may exist some better chance doing a google search when you kindly supply the engine code,
which you'll find on a sticker below the trunk and on page 1 or 2 of your manual.

Both the former 176 kW/240 hk Biturbo-TDI (engine code CUAA) and the 140 kW/190 hk TDI
(engine code DDMA or DFHA) are specified for VW 507 00 (0W-30/5W-30). Using the same in
your 147 kW/200 hk 2.0 TDI is IMHO a safe bet, but again, ask your dealer. However if you just
have to top-up 0.5 or 1 Liter, I'd use any VW 507 00 with confidence.

If/when you're certain VW 507 00 is the correct approval for your Tiguan and since you're based
in Sweden I'd recommend either M1 ESP or Ravenol VMP, both 5W-30 and VW 507 00. IF you'd
prefer using a 0W-30 (which is just marginally thinner at -20°C) I'd go for either M1 ESP 0W-30 or
Ravenol VSW 0W-30. Shell Helix Ultra Professional AV-L 0W-30 is a fairly worthwhile low-budget
alternative. I admit it's a matter of taste to some degree, but the mentioned 5W-30s are generally
more stout. Keep us posted!

Just did my oil change on my Polo GTI with exactly the same engine and used VW502 (Castrol Edge 5W40). I don't have the particulate filter which if you have will change the VW grade you require. Such awesome engines to oil change and plenty of torque!

Just did my oil change on my Polo GTI with exactly the same engine and used VW502 (Castrol Edge 5W40). I don't have the particulate filter which if you have will change the VW grade you require. Such awesome engines to oil change and plenty of torque!
The OP has a diesel engine (TDi) - yours is a petrol/gasoline engine (TSi).

Mechanically require? I've been using 504 00 oil in my Tiguan since new instead of 508 00.
If you ever get oil pump issues, then you'll know.

But your engine isn't a GTI engine, where up to 4 years prior, called for 502 or 504 oil.

4 years prior to your 2020 Tiguan, it was still on the old body style with a 1st gen ea888 engine, CCTA, which called for 502 oil

Last edited:
If you ever get oil pump issues, then you'll know.
That's so vague as to be meaningless. Is there a verifiable technical and mechanical reason for this? Or is it just more Internet amplification over yet another phantom related to oil grade?

The way I look at it if thicker oil will damage something then here in the upper Midwest where oil starts off massively thick all our engines would be toast by now.

That's so vague as to be meaningless. Is there a verifiable technical and mechanical reason for this? Or is it just more Internet amplification over yet another phantom related to oil grade?

The way I look at it if thicker oil will damage something then here in the upper Midwest where oil starts off massively thick all our engines would be toast by now.
That's the biggest thing they changed for it to run the 0w20 vice 30 & 40 weights of the 502 and 504 oil, but the ea888-3B never was required to run a 504 oil before that.

That's the biggest thing they changed for it to run the 0w20 vice 30 & 40 weights of the 502 and 504 oil, but the ea888-3B never was required to run a 504 oil before that.
To permit or facilitate the use of 508 00 oil perhaps, but how does that translate into a requirement?

As I said before, using a VW 504 00/507 00 (0W/5W-30) in a VW 508 00/509 00
application doesn't harm. However, when VW went to 508 00/509 00 (0W-20)
they redesigned the engine and supplied them with increased volume oil pumps.
At the very least this is the case when it comes to the EA888 3G and the 'Miller-
Cycle' version as sold in the Tiguan, A3 (Euro) and A4.
We had a similar discussion quite recently about the effects running a thicker oil
in an engine with a dual-stage oil pump. I still believe there are just two minimum
pressure thresholds and exceeding the minimum doesn't set the oil pump into a
'lower-volume" mode, but nobody except VW/Audi knows it for sure. At full load
the oil pump is set into 'increased-volume' mode anyway, so piston cooling isn't
affected when actually necessary.

Back