VW TDIs, I need another one.

"...why diesels have such a bad rep in the US..."
truck association I guess ( & '80s MB's lack of pep - pre turbo)? Short answr? dumb consumers...

My Q is: Y is diesel more expensive? It takes less refining to produce, no?
More is burned than gas, no? (all the work trucks'n now - a bit added all the time w/more passenger vehicles? This
2nd point may reduce the p/gal tax burden (lower price).

Bailes - is it more expensive over there (& on Contenent)? (I C some one did some tree work. Same fella put the wheel on the wrong side?) aahahahaa. I hope I'm not to late to say
W E L C O M E !!!
after more'n 800 posts
(got e beat!)

Bailes - is it more expensive over there (& on Contenent)? (I C some one did some tree work. Same fella put the wheel on the wrong side?) aahahahaa. I hope I'm not to late to say
W E L C O M E !!!
after more'n 800 posts
(got e beat!)

Diesel is around £1.98/litre at the moment and standard unleaded around £1.90/litre. Works out $8.74/US Gal for diesel and $8.38/US Gal for standard unleaded. Usually super unleaded is the same price as diesel.

My car does around 55-60mpg (imperial), it's petrol equivalent around 35-40mpg (imperial). It's a no-brainer to run the diesel.

I think the diesel/gas cost spread is more here. MPG on diesel pass. vehicles match ur own. Might be same on pollution, justa different kind (more articulates in diesel?)
Yea, I wish more diesel pass car here (AND lower cost to the diesel). Y duz it cost more'n petrol (gas, gasoline)???

It is kind of infuriating here, biggest car market in the world with the least amount of selection, except for 47 flavors of F150's...
I think New Zealand has far more brands, models, drivetrains available than N.A... It has as many people as Phoenix Az metro area, spread over 100k sq miles on 2 islands, 1200 miles from Australia in the middle of the south pacific....
Overturn the ideotic Reagan grey market laws giving reciprocity to EU crash + emissions and you could import anything you like.

Worst law that should have never been passed.

I still don't understand why diesels have such a bad rep in the US, especially in terms of reliability. We have little EGR & DPF issues this side of the pond, even when doing short journeys.
GM did a pretty good of killing the market, plus traditionally low gasoline prices. And maybe a lack of good mechanics? diesels tend to be more exacting their gasoline counterparts.

I think our emissions laws favored diesels for quite some time, but eventually they had to match gassers, which is why EGR, DPF, etc caught up. I'm not sure if those systems are now as robust and reliable as the gasser counterparts, but now with both engines getting around the same mpg, it becomes a "why bother"?

My ‘02 ALH Jetta was approaching 300k, averaged 52-58 depending upon my right foot, held the road like glue, and provided the driver with safety upon its demise. Rear ended by a truck, pushed at stop into a stopped school bus, the crumple zones were completely exhausted, and the driver (not me) crawled out the sunroof and walked away with scratches. Good car. Yeah, I miss it too.

what else did we get for diesel cars in usa (dont go back to the olds, chevette, corrier p/u etc - modern era - last 20 yrs)?
AND
My locale diesel is a good bit more than 'premium' (93 octane)

what else did we get for diesel cars in usa (dont go back to the olds, chevette, corrier p/u etc - modern era - last 20 yrs)?
AND
My locale diesel is a good bit more than 'premium' (93 octane)
Chevy Cruze
Mercedes E
BMW 3/5
Audi A3/A6/A8 - (was A4 offered in TDI?)

Outside of that I can't really think of any other sedans - even adding CUV's is another dozen or so mostly from the German makes but also a handful from American makes.

Run away from any dieselgate cars with DPF, they were already pretty fragile prior to the fix which then added a lot of heat to the equation with much more frequent regeneration. Have had 2 Jetta Sportwagen TDI’s in the household and they were both service bay queens - lots of check engine lights.

If you want simplicity go for a 2003 or older - even the PD TDI's were all trash with their ultra specific oil recommendation that even dealers didn't follow.
I get the DPF issues, been there, seen it.

However PD's are not that bad. I should know I've owned one and it survived well in the 150k range on it's original cam even without me being the original owner.

My ‘02 ALH Jetta was approaching 300k, averaged 52-58 depending upon my right foot, held the road like glue, and provided the driver with safety upon its demise. Rear ended by a truck, pushed at stop into a stopped school bus, the crumple zones were completely exhausted, and the driver (not me) crawled out the sunroof and walked away with scratches. Good car. Yeah, I miss it too.
There are very many days I want to fight myself Fight Club style, in an empty parking lot for trading my '00 ALH Jetta.

I do miss my old 02 Golf TDI...

Bosio PP764 nozzle, GT1749V turbo upgrade, fully custom tune with eco and coal rolling modes. 5-speed manual with lighter flywheel (a lesson learned not to do that again) with VR6 clutch, Dieselgeek short shifter, Shine Racing Real Street Suspension, factory front strut tower brace and WRDusa rear stress bar. S2000 low beam projector retrofit.

I remembered back at TDIclub the "experts" scoffed at my idea of adding additional hole(s) to a nozzle, in lieu of just keep increasing the bore size of the nozzle... then lo and behold, Bosio started to add additional holes instead of increasing the bore size to some of their higher performance nozzles, since there is a limit to bore size vs atomization of the fuel.

Rainman Ray has a really cool video on some work he did recently on an older VW Golf TDI. Neat little engine. The amount of carbon build-up he found on the EGR was unreal. Like a cup full of coal dust.

Rainman Ray has a really cool video on some work he did recently on an older VW Golf TDI. Neat little engine. The amount of carbon build-up he found on the EGR was unreal. Like a cup full of coal dust.
Wait until he sees the intake manifold.

The easy fix (and less popular) is the "EGR Mod", where you used the VAG-COM (aka VCDS) to dial down the PWM of the EGR to the threshold of triggering a CEL.

But, people like the "Race Pipe" that replaces the EGR valve completely. Had one, would never recommend it, since you're also eliminating the butterfly that chokes the engine upon shutdown, so it actually turns off, instead of the occasional runaway engine, plus triggers a CEL, so you need a tune that bypasses the EGR without the CEL.

Watching that brought back all the feels but I hope he researched and didn't just throw the standard 5w30 the customer wanted in the crankcase.

As was mentioned, you have no idea how much there probably was. He was just poking the bear at that point. Do a quick image search on google for "TDI EGR valve". Warning, you may have nightmares. Dirty US fuel coupled with grandma driving didn't help them at all.

Wait until he sees the intake manifold.

The easy fix (and less popular) is the "EGR Mod", where you used the VAG-COM (aka VCDS) to dial down the PWM of the EGR to the threshold of triggering a CEL.

But, people like the "Race Pipe" that replaces the EGR valve completely. Had one, would never recommend it, since you're also eliminating the butterfly that chokes the engine upon shutdown, so it actually turns off, instead of the occasional runaway engine, plus triggers a CEL, so you need a tune that bypasses the EGR without the CEL.

I disabled mine via block off plate and lived with the CEL for a long time. No emissions in PA so I could do that. I refused to have the intake dirty again after cleaning it.

When I traded the car in since I already bypassed the EGR cooler and trashed that I had to get the non-cooled EGR pipe from DieselGeek I think.

Ya like you I wanted to keep ASV just incase so no race pipe.

Back