VW TDIs, I need another one.

Wait until he sees the intake manifold.

The easy fix (and less popular) is the "EGR Mod", where you used the VAG-COM (aka VCDS) to dial down the PWM of the EGR to the threshold of triggering a CEL.

But, people like the "Race Pipe" that replaces the EGR valve completely. Had one, would never recommend it, since you're also eliminating the butterfly that chokes the engine upon shutdown, so it actually turns off, instead of the occasional runaway engine, plus triggers a CEL, so you need a tune that bypasses the EGR without the CEL.

That's interesting with the butterfly valve thing. When he had the valve cover off this TDI, the rocker shaft driven injectors had wires going to them. I just assumed with the ignition cut, the injectors wouldn't fire?

Watching that brought back all the feels but I hope he researched and didn't just throw the standard 5w30 the customer wanted in the crankcase.

As was mentioned, you have no idea how much there probably was. He was just poking the bear at that point. Do a quick image search on google for "TDI EGR valve". Warning, you may have nightmares. Dirty US fuel coupled with grandma driving didn't help them at all.

He probably did exactly as the customer wanted in terms of oil.

Doesn't seem like he dug further into that intake either.

He did put a new glove box door on her per customer's request though. It's funny the scope of work he's willing to do for people.

The butterfly valve just stops the engine rolling on after the injectors stop firing. Diesel engines without the butterfly or throttle plate give a little shudder when you switch them off.

Reactions: JTK
That's interesting with the butterfly valve thing. When he had the valve cover off this TDI, the rocker shaft driven injectors had wires going to them. I just assumed with the ignition cut, the injectors wouldn't fire?

He probably did exactly as the customer wanted in terms of oil.

Doesn't seem like he dug further into that intake either.

He did put a new glove box door on her per customer's request though. It's funny the scope of work he's willing to do for people.

They had a dual purpose, to help lessen the shudder of shutting the engine off and help draw EGR gasses into the intake via a slight pressure drop. However in the event of a run away condition via engine oil injection they can TRY to stop the air flow and the motor.

You only need two things in a diesel to work besides compression. Any combustible fuel & air and hot engine oil coupled with force induction via the turbo will work just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTK
yup, ONE, a cheb cruz.
I have not seen 1 in the shop.
Didnt realize we (USA, I should have been more clear in my ask, usually am not) had one. Is
it US made? Are there any others?
(no more european comanys).

Back