Battery memory savers still needed?

Should i invest in one? Or will it just sit in the toolbox

I'm a DIY home wrencher now. Mainly small group of friends and family.

I recently did a battery install for a friend with a honda fit. Tiny battery but simple job. Everything went well minus radio code.

Went thru the whole glove box, owners manual. Looking for stickers in the trunk (i think GM and VW used to put a sticker in the spare tire area). No dice.
Called the local honda dealership they wanted 1 hour of labor (roughly $200 after taxes) to get this done because they weren't a customer.

I tired the common 0000, 1234, and whatever random ideas google came up with. Ended up buying the code off ebay for like $5.

Are Hondas only ones still doing this?? I'm thinking with newer cars and the tech, maybe i should try to keep the battery memory. Most of these memory saves on amazon have the CIG lighter to OBD port. I dont have jump pack with a cig lighter now.

I swap and code batteries on VW with my OBD11 all the time. Thats completely diffrent.

I worked with a woman whose husband changed the battery in her Acura and they could never get the radio to work again. So, she sold the car. I have one of memory saver things in my car battery tools box.

My job requires me to use a memory saver for every battery I unhook. I’ve done hundreds of batteries without issues but I had one 2018 Civic where the memory saver popped the main fuse and the car went completely dead right after I unplugged from the OBD port. They aren’t 100% safe so you need to see if the benefits outweigh the risk.
Traverses and Enclaves will need ESC reset if it loses power so I run it. Honda radio codes are a pain sometimes, I always check if the code is in the glovebox or owners manual. If no code - I use. If code - I don’t use. Toyotas, Nissans, Subarus. I don’t use it at all. On Subarus you’d think the memory saver would prevent the automatic windows from losing function but nope you still have to reset them regardless if memory was saved. And Mopars with the ESS auxiliary 12v don’t get the memory saver either. Causes more trouble than it saves.

I worked with a woman whose husband changed the battery in her Acura and they could never get the radio to work again. So, she sold the car. I have one of memory saver things in my car battery tools box.
A post that begs more questions-
Did they ever get the car to the dealer? Many radios have codes that need to be reset when power is lost. It's an "anti-theft" thing.

A post that begs more questions-
Did they ever get the car to the dealer? Many radios have codes that need to be reset when power is lost. It's an "anti-theft" thing.
I forget the whole story, but i think they tried a dealer but they didn't have the code in the owners manual that the dealer needed. And it was a reason to buy something new so she didn't try too hard.

I forget the whole story, but i think they tried a dealer but they didn't have the code in the owners manual that the dealer needed. And it was a reason to buy something new so she didn't try too hard.
Obviously-the code is available somewhere-even from the manufacturer themselves. If they dealer resold the car-somebody had to get the code when the car was sold.

I had a year 2000 Saturn that needed a radio code from the dealer. That model gave a "pre-code" by holding a few buttons down, but it was a different "pre code" format compared to a 91-99. They couldn't figure it out, and they only sold, like, a couple different cars! Morons.

I use a Solar-branded cable that's OBD port on one end, and cigarette on the other. Rigged it to run off a little gel cell. A 9V battery might not be able to support the dome light and whatever else is on.

Just replaced the 12V battery on my 2018 Accord hybrid. Did not use a memory saver and everything was fine after the battery was swapped out.

Back