Anyone Else Seen Exide made Everstart Maxx batteries?

I got a less than a year old Everstart Maxx battery off a guy who scraps cars today for a decently low price, said it came from an Astro Van that someone locked up running it low on oil, looked good on the tester, held at 12.75 volts after a week with a 3.6milliohm IR so it seems to be in decent shape, the photos were kind of dark I just assumed it was a Clarios battery but when he delivered it I realized it was made by Exide, I haven't seen any Exide made Everstart batteries before, it has a 9/22 sticker and has a date code etched in the back that says it was manufactured August 9th 2022. I figured it should be in at least good enough shape to make it through one or two winters and better than the 5 year old ValuePower (Everstart Value) battery I had in my car, it may even still have a warranty, from what I've heard Walmart will generally honor the warranty based on DOM if you don't have the receipt, they'll scan the serial on the battery, although if it was already given as a warranty replacement then the warranty will be kaput.

1686104850218.jpg

1686105054592.jpg

That's a new one for me. For awhile it seemed like east penn was supplying the ones around here but as of lately all have been clarios that I have seen.

Lately, my local Walmarts have had little if any batteries in stock. Lawn tractor batteries is about all I am seeing. I will look next time when the batteries are restocked. I don't know how they are handling warranty exchanges right now.

Being that Walmart reaches every corner of the United States, one manufacture doesn't supply every battery.

Being that Walmart reaches every corner of the United States, one manufacture doesn't supply every battery.
I know they but I've only know of them in the past using East Penn on the east coast, some Korean suppliers out west, and Clarios in the central US. I hadn't ever seen an Exide battery at Walmart, I don't think I've seen them in the local stores either, I wonder if the one I have was sold in a different area than around here and made it's way here. I'd say it's at least not from the most southern states because it's a 78N battery.

What's a milliohm? I've heard of Megohms, but milliohms would be fractions of an Ohm?
milliohms are thousandths of an ohm, since car batteries need to be able to flow hundreds of amps to crank a car, the internal resistance should be quite low generally somewhere below 10 milliohms.

What's a milliohm? I've heard of Megohms, but milliohms would be fractions of an Ohm?
Yeap, 1/1000s of an Ohm. Ohm's law says 12.76 volts / 0.0036 Ohms means that this battery should be capable of delivering 3541 Amps of current into a dead short. (Don't drop a wrench across the battery terminals!!) But battery cables, starter resistance, contact resistance of the battery clamps, etc will all add resistance so the actual cranking amperage will be less.

I went to buy a battery at walmart last week, every single battery is now a sealed unit. I will not be buying batteries there anymore. I usually add distilled water once or twice a year so I can get the most out of the batteries.

(There are probably hidden service ports under the label on the top, but I don't like playing that game)

I went to buy a battery at walmart last week, every single battery is now a sealed unit. I will not be buying batteries there anymore. I usually add distilled water once or twice a year so I can get the most out of the batteries.

(There are probably hidden service ports under the label on the top, but I don't like playing that game)
1687803289394.jpg

Mine is built in the same case as this Rural King Group 75 battery that is serviceable.
I don't know what logic they use to determine which batteries get to keep the user servicable caps and which ones have the fixed vent cap, Clarios seems to do it on the H sizes and the higher tier 78 battery probably because they're used in Euro cars that have batteries inside the car or trunk and the 78 must have them so they have an option for Cadillacs with the battery inside since Walmart doesn't stock a 79 anymore.

Yeah, only 4 months ago my Walmart had a mix of batteries like your describing, but when I went in there just the other day, literally ALL of the batteries had fixed vent cap, I was very shocked, been researching alternative places to buy batteries.

At walmart I used to get the 29DC for my boat.

Looking for a comparable battery I see that oreilly superstart and autozone duralast appear to be the same product
(not sure who makes it):

oreilly-superstart-marine.jpg
autozone-duralast-marine.jpg

Yeah, only 4 months ago my Walmart had a mix of batteries like your describing, but when I went in there just the other day, literally ALL of the batteries had fixed vent cap, I was very shocked, been researching alternative places to buy batteries.

At walmart I used to get the 29DC for my boat.

Looking for a comparable battery I see that oreilly superstart and autozone duralast appear to be the same product
(not sure who makes it):

View attachment 163452View attachment 163453
Clarios (formerly known as Johnson controls)

Back