VW 508.00 Does it really matter?

I've two new cars to maintain. 2020 VW Tsi 1.4 which calls for 0w-20 VW 508.00 and a Mazda 3 2.5S which calls for just a ILSAC GF-5/SAE 0W-20. The latter available anywhere, the 508.00 not so much.

Factoring out the warranty stuff, and the dye, is there really that much difference b/t VW 508.00 and say for example Castrol Edge 0w-20 Dexos2 (ILSAC GF-6/API SP)

The Mazda Skyactiv engine is a well engineered engine and so is the Tsi 1.4. Is there really something different about the specs of these two oils that would make them so different that either one could not be safety used in either engine?

Not saying I'm going to use a non 508 in the VW, but I'm curious and wondering if the oil gurus can identify the specific specifications that would make these oils non compatible, or is it more just a VW marketing thing.

Can't give you a direct answer but in my 2019 Passat, I just have the dealer service it with the 508 oil. The price is very reasonable and with a very long factory warranty (7 years, I believe on 2019 VWs), I want to make sure that I don't screw up the coverage. I quit doing my own changes due to age and health reasons but if I still did them, I would just buy the 508 and a filter from the service department at the dealer.

VW 508.00 to my understanding is to 'help' the fleet mpg.

Quoting another poster here " VW508.00/509.00 is ridiculously easy spec to meet. There is NOTHING in that spec that is special except that increases mpg. "

Can't give you a direct answer but in my 2019 Passat, I just have the dealer service it with the 508 oil. The price is very reasonable and with a very long factory warranty (7 years, I believe on 2019 VWs), I want to make sure that I don't screw up the coverage. I quit doing my own changes due to age and health reasons but if I still did them, I would just buy the 508 and a filter from the service department at the dealer.
Both the VW and the Mazda come with two complementary OC's. Although I'll do a 5k initial OC myself. Already have some 508 for the VW. I have a few more years (I hope) where I can do the OC's myself.

I will use 508 for the VW after the complementary OC's. ECS Tuning has it for around $7/qt so it's not unreasonably priced. In time it probably will become more available. NAPA carries 507 in a couple of brands so they may eventually carry 508. But I've been told the 10,000 OCI is something the non 508 oils may struggle with. A couple of bucks more a quart is not going to brake the bank.

You already mentioned you're not concerned about warranty or tracer dyes, so no I don't think VW 508 is some magic sauce and something else will make the engine grenade. I do think it's a good 0w20, if you're going to use 0w20 it seems prudent to just use VW 508. If you're not going to stick with 508 I'd personally forget 0w20 entirely and put a decent Euro A3/B4 oil in it. JMO.

Base stocks in the 508 oils (from SDS sheets) and the performance specs in the Lubrizol tool lead me to believe that it is a very high quality 0w-20 compared to some of the options on the market. If I was not concerned about warranty and wanted to standardize to one oil, I would only use Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 since it is majority PAO.

Last edited:
Base stocks in the 508 oils (from SDS sheets) and the performance specs in the Lubrizol tool lead me to believe that it is a very high quality 0w-20 compared to some of the options on the market. If I was not concerned about warranty and wanted to standardize to one oil, I would only use Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 since it is majority PAO.
I agree. Here in the UK even the cheapest VW508 approved oils such as Total Ineo and Comma are predominantly PAO based according to the safety data sheets.

Quoting another poster here " VW508.00/509.00 is ridiculously easy spec to meet. There is NOTHING in that spec that is special except that increases mpg. "

It has long life certification. Regular API 0w20 does not.

I would be very wary of random comments not supported by evidence from random internet posters...

Has anyone actually seen the requirements to meet 508/509? This is the only info I've seen: https://360.lubrizol.com/Specifications/Volkswagen/Volkswagen-VW50800-50900

low(er) saps and typically based on GIV base oils does not sound like a typical GF-5 0W20. I think I'd just use the specified oil.

If not concerned about having an oil related warranty issue, use what you like.
If you are concerned, use 508.

All else here is conjecture and opinion, however good nature'd or trolling it may be.

I've two new cars to maintain. 2020 VW Tsi 1.4 which calls for 0w-20 VW 508.00 and a Mazda 3 2.5S which calls for just a ILSAC GF-5/SAE 0W-20. The latter available anywhere, the 508.00 not so much.

Factoring out the warranty stuff, and the dye, is there really that much difference b/t VW 508.00 and say for example Castrol Edge 0w-20 Dexos2 (ILSAC GF-6/API SP)

The Mazda Skyactiv engine is a well engineered engine and so is the Tsi 1.4. Is there really something different about the specs of these two oils that would make them so different that either one could not be safety used in either engine?

Not saying I'm going to use a non 508 in the VW, but I'm curious and wondering if the oil gurus can identify the specific specifications that would make these oils non compatible, or is it more just a VW marketing thing.
Use VW504.00/507.00.

I have no idea where you got that bad advice from, but looking at the Lubrizol tool, VW508/509 is a very high standard, arguably one of the highest. You need at least some PAO and a fantastic add-pack just to meet. Given that Mobil 1 ESP X2 is now at Walmart, and will soon be showing up in cheaper 5 liter jugs, if I were the OP I would use that for BOTH of his cars.

I have no idea where you got that bad advice from, but looking at the Lubrizol tool, VW508/509 is a very high standard, arguably one of the highest. You need at least some PAO and a fantastic add-pack just to meet. Given that Mobil 1 ESP X2 is now at Walmart, and will soon be showing up in cheaper 5 liter jugs, if I were the OP I would use that for BOTH of his cars.

All the SDS sheets I checked had substantial PAO content so I agree with your conclusion. However, out of interest how can you tell from the Lubrizol comparison tool that an oil must have PAO content to meet that spec? There are Group III based 0W20 oils (non VW508) that should meet the fuel economy requirements and the other performance criteria are largely driven by the additive pack.

All the SDS sheets I checked had substantial PAO content so I agree with your conclusion. However, out of interest how can you tell from the Lubrizol comparison tool that an oil must have PAO content to meet that spec? There are Group III based 0W20 oils (non VW508) that should meet the fuel economy requirements and the other performance criteria are largely driven by the additive pack.
It has to have substantial PAO content to meet long oil drain intervals, low Noack requirements etc.

1. There are some manufacturers that meet 508.00 without the use of PAO....
2. Can you share where you received information that ESP X2 will be sold in jugs? Thanks

1602704333551.png

1602704368078.png

Diphenylamine is used as the antioxidant here:

1. There are some manufacturers that meet 508.00 without the use of PAO....
2. Can you share where you received information that ESP X2 will be sold in jugs? Thanks

View attachment 31692
View attachment 31693

Diphenylamine is used as the antioxidant here:
Valvoline generally uses high quality GrIII as their oils are mostly based on that. But, per this MSDS there are ingredients missing. I still think there is some PAO there.

Valvoline generally uses high quality GrIII as their oils are mostly based on that. But, per this MSDS there are ingredients missing. I still think there is some PAO there.

If they used it, they would post it. I agree that they use excellent quality GrIII.

Wishful thinking. Over about 25% of content is MIA in that report. No way to draw PAO content conclusion from that one way or another.

Neither does Shell Helix Ultra Professional as-l 0w-20.

file:///C:/Users/wemay/Downloads/GSAP_msds_01681705.PDF

1602706823349.png

Back