Volkswagen spec vw 508 00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Folks,
Hoping to find some help here. I have an 2018 Passat and I found the spec for the motor oil on the radiator support and it says vw 508 00. I have searched local auto parts stores and can find nothing with this spec. Is it that hard to find? I hope someone has already found the answer to this but I searched the forum and found no solutions. Thanks in advance.

It's a newer spec for VW, you should be able to get it at the dealer until it becomes more widespread. Does your manual also say VW508, and does it allow VW 502 as well? VW 502 oils are everywhere.

CASTROL EDGE Longlife IV and Mobil 1 0w-20 esp carry the approvals. This 0w-20 can be run in diesel and petrol. Try ask VW dealer

Thanks KcJeep. It only mentions the 50800. Hopefully something will come along that is available.
[Linked Image]

From the manual page, it looks like the editors are having flashbacks to the day when North American dealers couldn't tell the difference between an ILSAC oil and an A3/B4 one. And, once again, tying oneself to the safe SAE grade as can be found commonly on the shelf as an ILSAC one doesn't help. I'm sure, however, the divergence isn't as much as it was between an ILSAC 0w-30 and an A3/B4 0w-30.

The whole VW spec. 502,504,507,508 etc.. turns me off to VW. A guy with a Focus ST can walk into Walmart and buy virtually any 5w30 synthetic and rest assured that he's covered. I wonder what would happen if a person used a name brand 0w20 and changed it every 6K in one of these 508 spec'd VW's? I know he would be compromising warranty coverage but would he be compromising engine longevity/durability?

If I could find a clean 2007 or 2008 Golf 2.5 5 speed with about 100K or less I'd buy it and run regular (non VW spec'd) oil just to see what the UOAs looked like. I might not try this with a 2.0T or 1.8T but the 2.5 is a fairly basic engine....I can't see any problems happening....

The 502 spec was pretty much the same as Ford, any decent syn will work. I ran 15/40 in my 1997 A4 for a while and had no issues with 5k intervals and the large filter. Its been around since the sludging problem in 1998 on the early 1.8ts, so any decent oil now will work with the 502.

Originally Posted by hedgehorn
[Linked Image]

VW 50800 is fuel economy version of gasoline VW Long Life oils, whereas
VW 50400 is traditional (meaning non-FE) version of VW Long Life gasoline oils.
I suppose it's fine of you opting for VW 50400/50700 Long Life oils , in lieu of 50800 at the expense of fuel economy, but maintaining 'Long Life' regime.

Edit:VW 50400 isn't available in xW20, but xW30.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back