VOLKSWAGEN 502 00 / 504 00 / 508 00 / 511 00 APPROVAL LISTS

Where do I find the engine code? There’s a sticker under the hood that says to use VW 508/509 spec oil. It’s a 2020 Passat.
The sticker identifying engine code at least on my Golf is on timing chain cover. Try to look there.
Mine says CXBA.

I just found engine codes for 2017-2019 Passat 2.0 TFSI A33 which were either DDSA or DDSB.
For 2020 it could be different but I don't know that for sure.

Last edited:
I’ve looked on the websites of Pennzoil, Valvoline. They all say they don’t have an oil for a 2020 VW Passat. Makes no sense. Under the hood of my VW Castrol is recommended but their website also says they don’t have an oil for my car. 🤷‍♂️
Valvoline has one.

Engine should be EA888B (Budack) regardless of code. The sticker says it recommends Castrol due to older marketing agreement. OE VW 508.00 is now made by Exxon/Mobil and is essentially the same as ESP X2 0W-20 Mobil 1

Valvoline has one.

Engine should be EA888B (Budack) regardless of code. The sticker says it recommends Castrol due to older marketing agreement. OE VW 508.00 is now made by Exxon/Mobil and is essentially the same as ESP X2 0W-20 Mobil 1
Thanks. I was going off a list on another thread that has all the brands that make a 508/509 spec oil. Mobile, pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol all make one but you can’t find any of them on a store shelf. Can’t even find them on their websites except for mobile.

Thanks. I was going off a list on another thread that has all the brands that make a 508/509 spec oil. Mobile, pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol all make one but you can’t find any of them on a store shelf. Can’t even find them on their websites except for mobile.
Don't feel bad. But there're places online where you can buy what you need. I stopped by WM few times in a last two months on my way to In-N-Out and I haven't seen one Euro oil on the shelves. Not that I need one but out of curiosity. My stash of VST 5W-40 and QSFS Euro 5W-40 is good for at least 5 years.

I scored some PP Euro 5w40 from a local AAP for $28/5q jug after tax. Might be worth looking around at you local AAP to see if they have a similar deal.

FYI unfortunately it looks like VW shut these links down or place them behind some sort of a secure firewall. At least that’s what I’m getting when I click them.

If anyone has more up-to-date links, that would be awesome

FYI unfortunately it looks like VW shut these links down or place them behind some sort of a secure firewall. At least that’s what I’m getting when I click them.

If anyone has more up-to-date links, that would be awesome

I put one in the 508 thread earlier.

Go to NHTSA.gov

Pick your car

Pick manufacturers communications

Unfortunately you'll have the search from there, last one i found was dated August

"17-19-01 - Volkswagen Engine Oil Quality Standards (U.S. Only)"

I put one in the 508 thread earlier.

Go to NHTSA.gov

Pick your car

Pick manufacturers communications

Unfortunately you'll have the search from there, last one i found was dated August

"17-19-01 - Volkswagen Engine Oil Quality Standards (U.S. Only)"
Yeah looks like they actually just posted a brand new one a month ago as it happens.

Thanks

❓
I tried the links for VW 502 00, 504 00 and 511 00 today, and they worked perfectly fine for me.
I'd suggest you give them another try. (y)

❓
I tried the links for VW 502 00, 504 00 and 511 00 today, and they worked perfectly fine for me.
I'd suggest you give them another try. (y)

403 Forbidden​

What does that mean?​

Your request has been refused by the server.

Link11 is the specialized IT security provider of protecting web services and infrastructures against cyber-attacks. This request is unable to complete due to the above error and has not been filtered by Link11.

ID: 799300320, Your IP Address: XX.XXX.XX.XX
Timestamp: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 22:37:30 GMT

Apparently M1 ESP 0W-30 doesn't no longer appear on above approval
dated just four days ago (2.14.2024).
Just a typo? Temporarily? Or Mobil plan to release a revised ESP 0W-30?

Mobil still advertise VW 504 00 & 507 00:

The jug I just bought 2 weeks ago has it printed on it. Maybe a formulation change coming like you said. I hope not as it's readily available and one of the least expensive 504/507s.

Same with M1 ESP X2 0W-20 which apparently lost VW 508 00 (Feb 14th) despite still advertised.

https://www.mobil.com/en-de/passenger-vehicle-lube/pds/eu-xx-mobil-1-esp-x2-0w-20 (Germany)
https://www.mobil.co.uk/en-gb/engine-oil/mobil-1/car/mobil-1-esp-x2-0w-20 (UK)

I'd trust Mobil over Volkswagen's notoriously overwhelmed approval department.

Back