Very Tall People & Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I'm new here and haven't seen this in my readings, but what do you drive if you are very tall ..?

I am 6'10" and have never found anything that I can safely drive with my long body and legs other than a Ford F-150....and I barely fit in that....

I currently own a 2008 F-150.. I've even looked at the new 2013 F-150's and they seem a bit smaller too....

I'd love to drive a more fuel efficient vehicle as I'm not rich $$,,,but can't find anything other than the F-150 for safe leg room driving...

If you are very tall, what do you drive..?
Thanks

Sounds crazy but I've read the older new beetles are supposed to be good for tall people. Maybe the new new ones are good too?

Have you tried a Ford Flex? I see more people looking like 10 year olds driving in those than any other car with like a foot of head room.

Yes, I've tried the Ford Flex and the newer VW Beetle....I couldn't even get my legs into the car no less drive it....

There should be gas subsidies for tall people to buy gas when they can only drive big cars and trucks in order to have leg room..LOL

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Sounds crazy but I've read the older new beetles are supposed to be good for tall people. Maybe the new new ones are good too?

Have you tried a Ford Flex? I see more people looking like 10 year olds driving in those than any other car with like a foot of head room.

Yes, the previous generation beetles had tons of head rooms.

I'm only 6'1" but I have a lot of room in my Neon. I have room to move the seat back to where I cannot reach the pedals.

Something to consider is actually relocating the driver seat. I knew a very large guy who had a first generation neon and he moved the seat back a few inches so he would fit. Might be more difficult to do with the modern electronics, but something a custom shop would be willing to do.

Mitsubishis have always had long seat tracks.Find a 1993-2002 Mirage/Colt and sit in it.You would not believe the legroom up front.

Then there is this: http://is.gd/00zgnN

Seems those commercials with Shaq in a Buick LaCrosse were legit after all; sort of.

Also depends how you are built---where is your height? At 6'10" I am sure everything seems built for pygmies, but it's relative. I know. I am 6'2" but with a weird body structure: short limbs but a very large torso for my height. Imagine legs of a guy 5'10" and chest of a guy 6'5".

If you have very long legs, even proportional to your height, I'm not sure much can be done....but if you are "long-torso-ed" you might want to check out the LaCrosse, the latest Impala or Ford Taurus---especially if you can still get a Taurus with adjustable pedals. (A great feature that allows me and my 5'1" Boss to drive the same car with little fuss.) Maybe a Toyota Avalon or Chrysler 300? None of those cars is cheap, but gently used models should have nearly as much room as the current versions. Then there is the Sonata/Optima idea from the link in a previous post.

Good luck. So: How do you fit in a bus seat?

I think the main attraction of beetle was that it had the headroom once the seat was repositioned back for your leg length. If you don't drive that much then it may not be worth getting a car customized for you to fit in it.
Tallish guys with miata's often trim out the seat bottom foam to gain an inch or so, so that might help if you find a car that's close.

A lot of the new GM cars have a seat travel that goes back really far.

Someone mentioned the LaCrosse with Shaq, I love seeing him standing next to it. The LaCrosse looks like a kids toy next to him!

Thank You all for your responses....Back in the early 80's, I bought a Ford Econoline Van used...I had the Captains Chair moved back 15 inches and re-welded..It worked great...

Then I found out that insurance would not cover if I have the seat re-welded other than as it comes from the munufacturer....

My feet are size 18 so that adds to the lack of room as well.....

I'll just keep my current 2008 F-150 and hope it lasts me a long time...

Back in the 70's I had a Chrysler Cordoba and a Plymouth Fury and I had tons of leg room in those cars...

Those were the days when gas didn't matter and cars were,,,,,cars....

No today it's like sitting in a Tuna fish can and the price of a decent car or truck is more than I paid for my first house many many decades ago....

Are things really improving in this world..????????

As mentioned I think it may depend on your build a little bit. How much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking? Then we can proceed from there.

I'm 6'10" and about 260.....Evenly proportioned....

Quite often it is just impossible to even get my legs inside the door to even see if there would be legroom to maneauver the peddles...

I was on a plane once and I had to have my left leg in the aisle.....The stewardess said that I would have to do something about my leg......
I asked if she had a saw and I'd cut it off for the flight,,,some passengers laughed and she freaked out....

You gotta watch what you say these days even if you are only joking....

Years ago in the 70's I joined a tall people club called Tall People International....
They had a convention in Florida and I attended..Men had to be over 6'5" tall and women over 6'0" tall....

I saw men 7'4",,,7'6",,,and many women 6'5" and 6'8" tall....

I felt short for the whole night at my being only 6'10' tall...

Years later, I married a woman 5'5" tall....go figure..LOL

Honda Accord. Hey, it worked in Police Academy!

Edit: I think it was an Acord, forgot what it was now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: [censored
]Thank You all for your responses....Back in the early 80's, I bought a Ford Econoline Van used...I had the Captains Chair moved back 15 inches and re-welded..It worked great...

Then I found out that insurance would not cover if I have the seat re-welded other than as it comes from the munufacturer....

Maybe talk to a few insurance companies to see if they have a different policy? Or get a lawyer to write a letter to the car insurance association about their members discriminatory and life threatening policy? You should atleast be able to move the seat with an automotive engineers approval.

A company that modifies mini-vans into handicap accessible vehicles could probably do a nice job on moving the seat. And insurance companies would likely have no issue with them doing the mod.

Originally Posted By: faramir9
Then there is this: http://is.gd/00zgnN

Seems those commercials with Shaq in a Buick LaCrosse were legit after all; sort of.

Also depends how you are built---where is your height? At 6'10" I am sure everything seems built for pygmies, but it's relative. I know. I am 6'2" but with a weird body structure: short limbs but a very large torso for my height. Imagine legs of a guy 5'10" and chest of a guy 6'5".

Same here! 6'4" and I wear a 30-32 length in my pants. Finding t-shirts that fit my torso length is freaking impossible. Not to mention terrible balance (no ice skating, rollerblading, etc.). Kind of sucks, but what can you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back