Very Tall People & Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: [censored
]Hi
I'm new here and haven't seen this in my readings, but what do you drive if you are very tall ..?

I am 6'10" and have never found anything that I can safely drive with my long body and legs other than a Ford F-150....and I barely fit in that....

I currently own a 2008 F-150.. I've even looked at the new 2013 F-150's and they seem a bit smaller too....

I'd love to drive a more fuel efficient vehicle as I'm not rich $$,,,but can't find anything other than the F-150 for safe leg room driving...

If you are very tall, what do you drive..?
Thanks

Have you tried sitting in a Chrysler 300? I found they have quite a bit of room in them. I am only 6' 3" so not as tall as you but I run into what you talk of a lot. I have size 16 feet and weigh 300lbs+ so I have some fitment issues too.
laugh.gif
Cars are getting smaller and smaller and smaller. I pity guys of your dimensions. Hard enough for me.

Originally Posted By: faramir9

Also depends how you are built---where is your height? At 6'10" I am sure everything seems built for pygmies, but it's relative. I know. I am 6'2" but with a weird body structure: short limbs but a very large torso for my height. Imagine legs of a guy 5'10" and chest of a guy 6'5".

Same here. 6' 3" but only a 32" inseam. My height is in my torso as well. Buying shirts long enough is really hard.

Thank You all....I think I've been spoiled by driving pick ups for 25 years and they are so much higher on the road..Getting in a car that is lower would now be scarey...

I will try the Chrysler 300 as they do look sharp..... Vans are not too stylish anymore like they were 25-30 years ago..

I get my clothes at Kingsize.com shirts are very long and full....they have for tall guys and big guys and guys who are tall and big...they have a nice selection....

Hope I can say that,,I don't work for them,,just passing info...

Originally Posted By: dishdude
A lot of the new GM cars have a seat travel that goes back really far.

Someone mentioned the LaCrosse with Shaq, I love seeing him standing next to it. The LaCrosse looks like a kids toy next to him!

It's even funnier seeing him in it. He goes on about the space but he looks very, very cramped.

Originally Posted By: [censored
]Thank You all....I think I've been spoiled by driving pick ups for 25 years and they are so much higher on the road..Getting in a car that is lower would now be scarey...

I will try the Chrysler 300 as they do look sharp..... Vans are not too stylish anymore like they were 25-30 years ago..

I get my clothes at Kingsize.com shirts are very long and full....they have for tall guys and big guys and guys who are tall and big...they have a nice selection....

Hope I can say that,,I don't work for them,,just passing info...

Definitely check out a 300. I was really surprised at how much room they had.

I buy a lot of shirts through them too but you have to read the description on how long they are. "Talls" can range from 32" - 37". I have also found a lot of their shirts shrink badly when washed.

I'm tall, but not 6'10!

At 6'3, the only cars that I can remember being problematic are standard cab Rangers (knees in the dash) and the 3rd gen Eclipse (have to drive with the "Gangsta Lean")

My 4th gen Civic was a little tight, but it's pillars were so thin that it felt more airy than it was.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
I'm tall, but not 6'10!

At 6'3, the only cars that I can remember being problematic are standard cab Rangers (knees in the dash) and the 3rd gen Eclipse (have to drive with the "Gangsta Lean")

My 4th gen Civic was a little tight, but it's pillars were so thin that it felt more airy than it was.

Try a last-generation Grand Prix! Most likely, you will either brush the headliner or have to recline the seat so you're almost laying down.

I stand 5'- 17"
grin.gif
and the problem that I encounter is that when a car has a seat with ample legroom I am reaching for the steering wheel.

Interestingly, the only car that I have driven without the seat in the farthest back setting is my wife's Mini. Go figure!

I'm 6'4" with a long torso. Small cars do not work for me at all.
I am such a long torso that when I was in college and needed a car, the father of a guy I knew owned an AMC dealership and he had a leftover Lecar on the floor that he was going to sell me for a killer price. I sat in the car and my head went clear out of the sunroof like a giraffe.
In sedans, I have to forfeit moonroofs (usually a 2.5-3" gain) and buy cars with power driver seats and crank clear down to floor to fit. The Accord in my signature is comfortable and I have plenty of headroom. The current Mustang body style also works (w/power seat.) I had a 2000 Taurus, and the only way that car worked was with a power seat.
Best bets to fit are midsize cars and larger without moonroofs and with power seats.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Dude I work with is 6'8". I won a bet when he had plenty of room in my wife's tiny Festiva.
smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif
laugh.gif

I drove a Suzuki Swift (Geo Metro with an extra cylinder)

Front seat was fine. Don't ask me to try to ride in the back....Maybe sideways but no room for my legs.

The Volkswagen New Beetle has a LOT of headroom. Again, no room in the back for anyone over 5' tall but there is a lot of headroom in the front

My very good friend is also quite tall. I drove a miata for years and he, jokingly, sat in it. His head was fully above the top of the windshield. Could not close the door either. We both laughed for the rest of the day
smile.gif
I've got a picture somewhere.

I'm 6'4-6'5 depending upon how long I've run.

Japanese cars with sunroofs are more or less a non-starter.

German cars are much better. My head glances the headliner on my 318 and my MBs, all of which have sunroofs, but it is manageable and correct posture is doable.

Our vw, my 135i, and most any American vehicles I've driven in are perfectly comfortable and my head clears just fine.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Couldn't you just open the sunroof and hope for the best?
wink.gif

I'm not tall by any stretch of the imagination, but what height I do have is in my legs. The 1970s vintage Chevy pickups were the worst. I'd put the seat all the way to the back and my legs would still be too tight, yet sitting on something like a phonebook would have made viewing better. Who designed that seating?

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Couldn't you just open the sunroof and hope for the best?
wink.gif

ummm, that seriously is what we do with the MIL's camry!!!!

I'm 6'4"; 40 x 36 type of pants, and I, also, have trouble getting the correct shirts, pants, and shoes. Size 13 shoe. I have to spend extra just to wear clothes that fit; I usually go to the Big & Tall Mans' shop. My Mustang does fit me with changes, such as no one can sit in the back seat, and my wife is 6 ft tall, so the back seat is an ornament only. It is hard for me to find an automobile that fits me. I feel like a sardine in a can when I drive my Nissan, but it was all that I could afford to buy new in 2000. My next car has to fit me; not me have to fit it, and it will probably cost Some Dollars to accommodate my frame. I tried to fit in the 2013 Corvette, no way; 2014 370Z, no way. The 2014 Chevrolet Camaro,and yes, the back seat is an ornament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back