Vehicles they no longer make that I miss (and would possibly buy) if still made

second or third gen Ranger (93-11), but with a 3.5 EB
G- body Cutlass Coupe, ideally with a Ford Barra...
( really like the Restomod Concept.)
always loved the lines of the second gen Chargers ( 68-70, esp the '69) not sure what more modern driveline I'd put in it.. i don't need the Modern HP monsters, 300HP is more than sufficient for my needs and enjoyment.

Except crash standards. It folded like an accordion in an accident.

The only crash ratings I could find on this era were driver's side front and passenger side front. Both 4 star out of 5. Not spectacular. I'm glad I never had to find out.
I had new '91 and '93 SE-R's. I had the '93 for about 8 years and 148k mi. I wish that I had permanently kept it. Brakes, oil and tires.

A fair number of vehicles mentioned really weren't all that good back then, would they measure up today to our memories?

The older we get, the better they were. 😉
Very true.

However, I'd still take the older technology over the computers, turbos, CVT's, and god awful auto start/stop features offered on most offerings today.

Dodge Dakota R/T, but ditch that boat anchor of a 5.9 and whatever flavor RE transmission was behind it for a Hurricane I6 and a manual or ZF 8 speed.

When I was a young teen in the 60s, there was this guy across the street that had a 1963 Impala (white over champagne) with Astro five spoke wheels. It had a big block, but I forget the size. It was so clean and cool looking and it became burned in my memory ever since. ☮️

The original champagne color was much more elegant. These wheels don’t quite cut it, but you get the idea.
IMG_2180.jpeg

Last edited:
I had one. Don't want another. It was great for beach driving but lacked high speed manners. It was very unsteady above 85 to 90 mph.
I hit the governor in one of my 2000 XJs and it was perfectly smooth, but I also kept my suspension, brakes, tires, and steering components in tip-top shape. Closed course professional driver of course. ;)

A fair number of vehicles mentioned really weren't all that good back then, would they measure up today to our memories?

The older we get, the better they were. 😉
Very true, but with modern technology you can upgrade them to be streetable daily drivers. My Jeep TJ looks mostly stock, as it only has 1" suspension lift and 31" tires instead of the factory 30" tires. With different suspension (Fox shocks, H&R springs), upgraded brakes, and upgraded front/rear sway bars and steering components it drives way better than a stock one on the road. The stock ones feel a bit too "loose" for my liking.

i enjoy reading these, if fun to hear what people remember as good vehicles. many of the mentioned had their own issues. and would be shocked if you drove one today after getting out of a modern vehicle. the only exception ive seen is the excursion. with the caveat of a 6.0 in stead of the 7.3. (bulletproofed of course). and to take a step further an ultimate excursion with modern swing arm f350 chassis. then you would have the ultimate vehicle.

- Toyota Previa, AWD supercharged mid-engine egg.
- Already mentioned, but squarebody Dodge Dakota, 3.9+manual.
- Dodge Ramcharger, 318 & 4x4.
- Isuzu Pup/Chevy LUV come to mind. Don't exactly miss them, but miss the configuration. Would love to have a small truck with a 3 or 4 or 5 cylinder turbo diesel and a manual transmission. 4x4 is a bonus.
- Toyota Cressida wagon.
- MK3 Toyota Supra. MK4 is ugly... SC300/SC400 are cool in my book though. Especially with a manual.

If budget was unlimited - I'd get a Double Cab 5-lug Tacoma, with a T-56 or TR-6060 manual and an overbuilt 400HP Volvo 5-banger turbo under the hood. Sleeper city truck with a glorious V10-like sound accompanied by turbo noises. My life would be complete. 😊
View attachment 168935
+1 Toyota Previa AWD 5 speed manual transmission.

Back