Valvoline Synchromesh MTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would change it out to what is specified for your tranny. This is not 75W90.

But, having said that, I have read in VW forums of owners whose cars require GL-4 75W-90 use Pennzoil Synchromesh. A majority have posted good feedback. In fact, VW OEM MTF now is probably thinner than this Synchromesh.

I chose MT-90 with GL-4 75W90 hoping to minimize grinding with first gear at operating temp with my current OEM (thin) MTF. The application is also the original spec for my car.

Last edited:
I just received a response from Valvoline regarding
part nr 811095 Synchromesh MTF

Here is the PDF

synchromesh_mtf_20130725193931

Valvoline SYNCHROMESH Manual Transmission Fluid is a high performance manual transmission lubricant designed to meet the extreme demands of passenger car manual transmission gearbox applications in certain GM and Chrysler vehicles. It contains a blend of multifunctional additives, a shear resistant viscosity modifier and premium quality base stocks. It is designed to provide excellent load carrying capacity, extreme pressure properties, anti-foam performance, corrosion protection and thermal stability protection as well as provide excellent cold temperature properties without altering synchronizer performance characteristics.
This product is recommended for Syncromesh applications in certain GM and Chrysler vehicles where synchronizer performance is vital. It is fully compatible with components in modern manual transmissions including yellow metals like bronze, copper and brass. Valvoline Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid is suitable for use in the following manual transmissions and manual transaxles: GM Part Numbers 12345349, 12377916, and 12345577, and Chrysler Part Number 4874464. Meets API GL-4.
The Valvoline SYNCHROMESH Manual Transmission Fluid Advantage
• Wide Temperature Range: Enhanced performance in both low and high temperature operating conditions
• Thermal Stability Resistance to oxidation and remains stable under extreme temperatures
• Wear Protection: Excellent wear protection under high loads and extreme pressure
• Anti-Foam Performance: Exceptional anti-foam performance for added protection
• Corrosion Protection: Protects parts from rust and corrosion
• Yellow Metal: Fully compatible with yellow metals including copper, bronze, brass
• Synchronizers: Outstanding performance of synchronizers
Test
Valvoline SYNCHROMESH Manual Transmission Fluid
Vis @ 100°C (cSt)
Vis @ 40°C (cSt)
Viscosity Index
Spec Gravity @ 60°F
Density (lbs/gal)
Flash COC (°C)
Pour Point (°C) , max
Phosphorus, wt.%
Sulfur, wt.%
Zinc, wt%
0.11Product Information

A PRODUCT OF THE VALVOLINE COMPANY A DIVISION OF ASHLAND INC.

VALVOLINE SYNCHROMESH MANUAL TRANSMISSION FLUID

For Certain GM and Chrysler Synchromesh Applications

Valvoline SYNCHROMESH Manual Transmission Fluid is a high performance manual transmission lubricant designed to
meet the extreme demands of passenger car manual transmission gearbox applications in certain GM and Chrysler vehicles.
It contains a blend of multifunctional additives, a shear resistant viscosity modifier and premium quality base stocks. It is
designed to provide excellent load carrying capacity, extreme pressure properties, anti-foam performance, corrosion
protection and thermal stability protection as well as provide excellent cold temperature properties without altering
synchronizer performance characteristics.

This product is recommended for Syncromesh applications in certain GM and Chrysler vehicles where synchronizer
performance is vital. It is fully compatible with components in modern manual transmissions including yellow metals like
bronze, copper and brass. Valvoline Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid is suitable for use in the following manual
transmissions and manual transaxles: GM Part Numbers 12345349, 12377916, and 12345577, and Chrysler Part Number
4874464. Meets API GL-4.

NOTE! Valvoline Synchromesh MTF and Valvoline Professional Series MTF are NOT the same product!!!!!

They show a parts cross reference that concludes that this product (811095) IS a replacement for VW G052726A2 which is called a 75w-90 MTF.

My good judgement tells me that this fluid is WAY too thin for my VW application, but you could probably use it to top off if the unit was a bit low.

It's pretty obvious if you research the specs that the
other product mentioned
Valvoline Professional Series MTF is the CORRECT part for my application.

The question is where can the consumer buy it for DIY use?

Last edited:
Quote:
The question is where can the consumer buy it for DIY use?

I haven't seen it in any American Market.

Quote:
My good judgement tells me that this fluid is WAY too thin for my VW application, but you could probably use it to top off if the unit was a bit low.

Probably so.

The best you can do currently is attempt to order it through the major parts outlets such as O'Reilly's.

If you need a 75W90 or a 14.5 cSt GL-4 MTL right away, there is Amsoil MTG or Redline MT-90 unless of course you have a bias against US made products.

I also suspect that the Redline MT-85 75W85 GL-4 Gear Oil of 12.0 cSt will work in cold weather environments for an MTL spec of 75W90.

Last edited:
Lol antiqueshell. We received the email the same day. See my post from previous page. Did Valvoline also include in the email message that it was suitable for 75W90?

Anyways, it's good we finally sorted this out. I went on to buy RL MT-90 for my Jetta.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JZiggy
This is interesting. Valvoline synchromesh may be a good option for my older Toyota truck which wants a 75W-90 in the MT. Looks like Oreilly's has it -- I think I'll try it!

What year yota? I run redline MT-90 (75w-90 GL-4) and it it the best shifting i have found for the toyota 5 speed. I would be leery of the valvoline unless its a dedicated GL4 and not dual rated.

Edit: i just saw the email posted by antiqueshell, it looks like its only an 8.8! You dont want that in a gear box calling for a closer to 15.0 75w-90.

Last edited:
It's an 88, tranny code W56.

I just bought some MTG. Ill drain this stuff and use it in the Honda. Done.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: gregoron
Now to confuse everyone even further, here's an excerpt from the email message I received that came from a product support rep at Valvoline:

"We have attached an Adobe PDF file copy of the product information sheet, as you requested, for the Valvoline Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid. Valvoline recommends our Synchromesh product in virtually any application where an API GL-4 75w90 or 80w90 is required, therefore the viscosity range is very similar to that of any 75w90 gear oil."

I don't think this is equivalent to a 75W90 MTL.

It is not equivalent to a 75W90 MTL.

Where does Valvoline get these people?

Undoubtedly, these respondents have no STLE certifications or training in Lubricants.

Indeed; I just got an email from their "tech support" and the person claimed the Synchromesh MTF is a 75w-90 GL-4, which it CLEARLY is not. They're going to end up damaging a lot of transmissions if they don't educate their "tech support" people on this stuff. They said I should use the Synchromesh in my Toyota Corolla instead of Valvoline 75w-90 GL-5.

Why can't at least one company offer an off the shelf 75w-90 GL-4 for crying out loud? Every Toyota with a manual transmission and many other OEM spec this fluid!

Here is an analysis of the Valvoline MTF Synchromesh with the part number:

Quote:
Valvoline Part Number 811095

Metals (ppm)
Iron (Fe) 2
Silicon (Si) 13
Potassium (K) Additives (ppm)
Magnesium (Mg) 1627
Calcium (Ca) 14
Phosphorus (P) 1492
Zinc (Zn) 1233
Boron (B)
Physical Tests
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 9.2
Viscosity (cSt 40C) 50.3

Base Number (mgKOH/g) 7.2

Valvoline MTF Synchromesh

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Now to confuse everyone even further, here's an excerpt from the email message I received that came from a product support rep at Valvoline:

"We have attached an Adobe PDF file copy of the product information sheet, as you requested, for the Valvoline Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid. Valvoline recommends our Synchromesh product in virtually any application where an API GL-4 75w90 or 80w90 is required, therefore the viscosity range is very similar to that of any 75w90 gear oil."

Undoubtedly, these respondents have no STLE certifications or training in Lubricants.

Indeed; I just got an email from their "tech support" and the person claimed the Synchromesh MTF is a 75w-90 GL-4, which it CLEARLY is not. They're going to end up damaging a lot of transmissions if they don't educate their "tech support" people on this stuff. They said I should use the Synchromesh in my Toyota Corolla instead of Valvoline 75w-90 GL-5.

Why can't at least one company offer an off the shelf 75w-90 GL-4 for crying out loud? Every Toyota with a manual transmission and many other OEM spec this fluid!

A few companies do like Redline and Amsoil, or do you literally mean on the shelf at your local parts store?

Originally Posted By: SOHCman

A few companies do like Redline and Amsoil, or do you literally mean on the shelf at your local parts store?

I've always wondered this as well. With as many cars that spec a GL4 75W90,the only ones I've seen are Redline and Amsoil.

Only actual GL4's I've seen "over the counter" are 85W90 Sta Lube (Napa) and Pennzoil 80W90 Gear Plus (which is impossible to find,if they even make it any more). Is Redline MT90 the thickest 90 weight GL4?

Originally Posted By: SOHCman

I mean on the shelf at your local auto parts store. Most manual transaxles call for 75w-90 GL-4 or GL-5 with the MT-1 rating and no limited slip additives.

Why does it matter? It isn't going to damage anything. There is no point of running 75W-90 GL4 now days. VW, for example, specifies 75W-90 GL4 in the owners manual. You know what they actually put in the 6spd MTX? A 6.3 cSt straight 75W synchromesh type GL4 fluid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badtlc

Why does it matter? It isn't going to damage anything. There is no point of running 75W-90 GL4 now days. VW, for example, specifies 75W-90 GL4 in the owners manual. You know what they actually put in the 6spd MTX? A 6.3 cSt straight 75W synchromesh type GL4 fluid.

Horse puckey; OEM's spec certain viscosities for a reason. I wouldn't dare put Synchromesh in an older Toyota that has known transmission issues.

Reason I've heard for atf/synchromesh weight MTF's is that the trannies that spec those have needle bearings and fiber synchros.

I've heard of people using too thin of an MTF in a tranny that specs 75W90 gear oils destroying the bearings. I think I'd go thicker in a manual tranny before I'd go thinner.

Quote:
Only actual GL4's I've seen "over the counter" are 85W90 Sta Lube (Napa) and Pennzoil 80W90 Gear Plus (which is impossible to find,if they even make it any more).

These lubes are not dedicated MTLs.

Quote:
Is Redline MT90 the thickest 90 weight GL4?

Redline MT-90 has a 100C viscosity of 15.6.

From their wesite of the PDS:

Quote:
API Service Class GL 4
SAE Viscosity Grade (Motor Oil) 15W40
SAE Viscosity Grade (Gear Oil) 75W90
Vis @ 100°C, cSt 15.6
Vis @ 40°C, cSt 90
Viscosity Index 185
Pour Point, °C -45
Pour Point, °F -49
Flash Point, °C 240
Flash Point, °F 465