Updated List of MTF's (both GL-4 and GL-5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 Delvac 50, GL-4

Quicksilver / Mercury 90 is GL-4

Ultra1 Plus 75w-90 GL-4

Mobil 1 Delvac ATF, TES-295/Synthetic Dexron III

Mobil 1 Delvac 75W-90, GL-5

Last edited:
Ultra1 Plus 75w-90 GL-4

"With Limited Slip Differential additive package."

Absolutely Wrong friction modifier for MTF's.
Mobil 1 Delvac ATF, TES-295/Synthetic Dexron III

We're discussing MT's, not automatic transmissions.
Mobil 1 Delvac 75W-90, GL-5
"Heavy duty non-synchronized manual transmissions, axles and final drives requiring API GL-5 and MT-1 performance

Other heavy-duty industrial gear drives including hypoid and worm gears operating under conditions where high speed/shock load, high speed/low torque, and/or low speed/high torque conditions prevail."

Their talking about Heavy Duty non-synchronized truck transmissions as we have discussed previously.

Apparently you still have not understood the requirements for MTF's in Light truck and passenger vehicle MT's..

Shotgunning gear lubes seems to be your forte.

Last edited:
The VOA of the Ultra1 Plus looks no worse than the VOA of Delvac 50
And from that you can deduce the tribological properties and appropriate applications for these fluids?

Attachments

• Witches Crystal ball.jpg
    Witches Crystal ball.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 3
Are there any issues with some of the MTF’s “dissolving” carbon fiber blocking rings? Thanks!

Are there any issues with some of the MTF’s “dissolving” carbon fiber blocking rings? Thanks!
Not that I or the industry are aware of.

The carbon fiber blocking rings are composites constructed of a number of materials such as Kevlar fibers and carbon with carbon as the majority component and fused together by a very tough "binder."

Not that I or the industry are aware of.

The carbon fiber blocking rings are composites constructed of a number of materials such as Kevlar fibers and carbon with carbon as the majority component and fused together by a very tough "binder."
Great to know. Thank You.

Huge Thanks MolaKule!!

Fantastic resource.

On the side of the transmission in my H3, casted into the aluminum it reads "GL-3 75W-90" - A fluid that was basically already phased out when these vehicles rolled off the assembly line. The manual calls for GM part number 89021806

A GL-4 75W-90 like the ACDelco 10-4059 is the modern replacement.

Unfortunately, Valvoline stamps the old GM part number on their bottle of 75 weight MTF and I fell for it....

1699178859939.png

Sorry it's hard to make out in the photo stolen from their website, but it's the 5th part number in the sequence of GM part numbers there. Basically, a lie!!!!!!

I use Redline MT-90 for this application now but the Valvoline spent some time in that transmission before I was informed that it was the wrong stuff.

For SHAME Valvoline, for SHAME. MolaKule was the one to inform me that this was the wrong fluid several years ago, I even sent an email to Valvoline about this and their bottle still claims to be compatible. Not sure how that works... I feel like this would qualify as some form of fraud, selling a 75 weight fluid as a replacement for a 90 weight fluid.

Last edited:
Is there a list of GL-5 of differential GL-5 oils that are non corrosive to yellow metal. I.e.brasd, bronze and copper,

Most GL-5 oils use sulfur based modifiers.
The only one I have found claiming to be non corrosive is Royal Purple IS MAXGEAR 75W/90 GL-5.

They claim to be non corrosive to yellow metal on their bottle and web site.
This is only of interest to those with differentials that have yellow metal. I.e.brass, zinc, copper. For example MG TD.

I thought a list would be of interest.

AptosJames

I use Redline MT-90 for this application now but the Valvoline spent some time in that transmission before I was informed that it was the wrong stuff.

For SHAME Valvoline, for SHAME. MolaKule was the one to inform me that this was the wrong fluid several years ago, I even sent an email to Valvoline about this and their bottle still claims to be compatible. Not sure how that works... I feel like this would qualify as some form of fraud, selling a 75 weight fluid as a replacement for a 90 weight fluid.
This is a synchromesh fluid with a 8.8 cSt@100C viscosity according to Valvoline's data sheet but it is not a 75W90, since a 75W90 MTF usually has a viscosity of 14.5 cSt@100C.

Last edited:
@MolaKule I just replaced my BMW MTF-LT-5 (ZF says equivalent to FFL3) with Motul High Torque DCTF. I did contact Motul and they said it was suitable for this application but they chose not to list the MT spec because they were coming out with a less expensive fluid for MT applications. Anyway, it seems like it shifts easier when warm than the OE fluid but the shifting when cold is a bit worse than it was. This is a bit perplexing to me since it appears to be slightly thinner. Any thoughts?

@MolaKule I just replaced my BMW MTF-LT-5 (ZF says equivalent to FFL3) with Motul High Torque DCTF. I did contact Motul and they said it was suitable for this application but they chose not to list the MT spec because they were coming out with a less expensive fluid for MT applications. Anyway, it seems like it shifts easier when warm than the OE fluid but the shifting when cold is a bit worse than it was. This is a bit perplexing to me since it appears to be slightly thinner. Any thoughts?
This fluid linked is an LV MTF.

Lower viscosity fluids do not guarantee smother shifting. Transmission wear and FM type can affect shifting as well.

This fluid linked is an LV MTF.

Lower viscosity fluids do not guarantee smother shifting. Transmission wear and FM type can affect shifting as well.
I see. I assume the primary difference between MTF and DCTF is the friction modifiers for the wet clutch packs?

The transmission shouldn't have a lot of wear with only 9k miles, but yeah I just assumed the cold shifting would be improved with the slight viscosity reduction. Guess not.

I believe no one got oil analysis done on these yet(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back