Updated List of MTF's (both GL-4 and GL-5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
NOTE: This list is only a “summary” list of MTFs available in the MTF Lubricant Market. It is not an endorsement nor a critique of any one fluid, nor is it implied that any one fluid will cure problems in MTs that have design problems or those that have excessive wear.

A.These MTL fluids are closest to a Kinematic Viscosity of 6.X cSt@100C (About the same viscosity as Dexron VI ATF) and SAE 70 or so:

1. Castrol Syntrans FE 75W,
2. BMW (Pentosin) MTF-LT-3,
3. Honda MTII or MTF 2.
4. Ford FML-XT-11-QDC
5. Volvo Manual Transmission Fluid (6.4 cSt) [Recommended for: type M655-speed with 6-cyl. engine, M66, MTX75 and MMT6 and of the type M56, M58 and M59 from and including model year 1996. Meets Ford specification WSSM2C200-D2]
7. Redline MT-LV SAE Viscosity Grade 70W/75W Vis 6.5cst@100°C

B. The next higher viscosity MTF would be the 7.0 to 7.6 cSt@100C versions(SAE 70W75) (About the same viscosity as the original DexronIII/Merc)

1.Royal Purple's Synchromax
2. Ravenol MTF-2
3. Honda MTF
4. VW part number G052512A2
5. GM Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid
6. BMW (Pentosin MTF 2) MTF-LT-1, 2 ,3
7. Tutelo (Petronus, Italy, Product Code 1402)
8. Penrite Pro Gear 70W75 (Australia)
9. FUCHS Titan Sintofluid FE 75W Manual Transmission Oil. GL-4 75W Gear Oil
10. Redline Power Steering Fluid R
11. RAVENOL STF

Note: C, D and E are often considered popularly as “synchromesh” fluids.

C.
The next higher viscosity MTL group is in the 8.0 cSt to 8.9 cSt Range would be:

1. Castrol Syntrans V FE (8.0cSt)
2. Redline DCTF Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid (8.1 cSt)
3, BG Synchroshift II (8.2 cSt)
4. Valvoline MTF Part Number 811095 8.8 cSt
5. RAVENOL PSA (8.9 cSt)
6. Millers Oils TRX SYNTH 75W80 8.7 cSt (Carries a GL-5 rating as well).

D. The next higher viscosity MTL group in the 9.0 to 9.5 cSt range is (SAE75W80):

1. Mopar Type MS-9417 MTL 9.0 cSt
2. Pennzoil Synchromesh 9.0 cSt
3. RAVENOL SSG 9.5 cSt

E. The next group of MTL’s are in the 9.6 to 10.X cSt range (SAE75W80):

1. Redline MTL 75W80
2. Amsoil MTF (9.7 cSt)
3. GM Synchromesh Series
4. Volvo MTF 645
5. Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 synthetic MTF (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)
6. Lodexol (Morris Lubricants) MTF
7. Motul MotylGear 75W-80 GL-4/GL-5

F. The next higher viscosity MTL would be a 12.0cSt@100C and SAE 75W85:

1.Redline MT-85

G. The next higher viscosity MTLs in the 14-17 cSt (SAE 75W90) range would be:

1. Amsoil MTG
2. Redline MT-90
3. Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90
4. Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75w-90
5. Ford XT-75W90-QGT (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)
6. Ford MOTORCRAFT® Full Synthetic Manual Transmission FluidXT-M5-QS
7. ACDelco 10-4059 GL-4 75W-90 Manual Transmission Fluid
8. RAVENOL TSG SAE 75W-9
9. LIQUIMOLY 75W-90 GL4
10. PENNZOIL 75W90 GL-4
11. Motul MotylGEAR 300 GL-4/GL-5

Let me state this again: Before changing an MTF in a vehicle, obtain an OEM fluid sample and post the analysis in

Gear & Transmission Used/Virgin Oil Analysis

Virgin and Used Gear & Transmission Analysis reports.
bobistheoilguy.com

so we can attempt to suggest a fluid of similar viscosity and additive signature. This removes a lot of guesswork on your part.

Last edited:
@MolaKule, thank you so much for this list! I've been researching MTF for two different applications, and have had a lot of trouble getting definitive answers. Vehicle-specific forums can have a very high signal-to-noise ratio, which gets frustrating, but also reminds me what a good site BITOG is.

I'll post separate threads on the two vehicles in question.

Thanks again!

Maybe so for the 50 year old Capri but that doesn't mean it is suitable for use in any other manual transmission.

Provide a VOA and an Oil Properties (or TDS) here on any MTF so we can check its viscosity and the additive signature in order to determine its potential application.

Last edited:
@MolaKule, when I did some research to find a suitable "universal gear oil" in the 14-17 cst range for both my mt and axles , two or three dual rated gl4/5 offerings always popped up (namely motul, mobil and castrol). Further msds readings revealed recurrent compounds : pao base oil, magnesium metaborate and some phosphorus esters. I recall you saying that magnesium in gear oil can be part of friction modifier chemistry so it may explain the gl4/5 capability. At one point, I stumbled upon a document referring at a particular "di pack manufacturer" using those compounds in their go94** series (pretty sure you know who i'm talking about), are they really the only one that can fulfill the mt/axles requirements at the same time? Is it safe using such universal oil or better to stick with dedicated ones for both units?

... Is it safe using such universal oil or better to stick with dedicated ones for both units?
There are a few GL-4/GL-5 gear oils available for those transaxles or those with shared sumps such as for Subaru, because Subaru's have a hypoid differential sump that it shares with the transmission. For these lubes, friction modifiers for the synchros should be included.

If one has totally separate MT and differential units, dedicated fluids specifically designed for each unit should be used.

Manual transaxles containing spider gears only need an MT with a GL-4 rating because of the relatively lighter gear loading.

Various magnesium and calcium carbonates or meta-borates are often used as the synchro friction modifier; and in some formulations, a combination of the above are used.

Dedicated GL-5 Hypoid differential lubes need higher viscosity base oils and usually contain no friction modifier, therefore aren't suitable for MT's. Dedicated GL-5 Hypoid differential lubes contain Extreme Pressure (EP) additives because of the higher loads on the gearing.

Dedicated GL-4 MT lubes only need anti-wear (AW) additives.

Perfect timing. I’m wanting to get some GO-4 to do the transmission on my Mazda. It says GL-4 is best for it. Glad to see my preferred brand Castrol has an offering for it. I’ll have to see if any of the parts stores here where I’m having vacation at have it.

Maybe so for the 50 year old Capri but that doesn't mean it is suitable for use in any other manual transmission.

Provide a VOA and an Oil Properties (or TDS) here on any MTF so we can check its viscosity and the additive signature in order to determine its potential application.

You posted a list of GL4 oils and I just reminded you of one readily available that you did not have on there. I specifically wanted a mineral based GL-4 oil and thought others with older vehicles may need that as well. I doubt a 50 year Ford, that sold over a million, uses a unique oil that is unsuitable for anything else.

I'm not going to get a analysis performed on a car I only drive 1500 miles a year

Last edited:
You posted a list of GL4 oils and I just reminded you of one readily available that you did not have on there. I specifically wanted a mineral based GL-4 oil and thought others with older vehicles may need that as well. I doubt a 50 year Ford, that sold over a million, uses a unique oil that is unsuitable for anything else.

I'm not going to get a analysis performed on a car I only drive 1500 miles a year
I have not seen any real oil properties or analysis of the lubricant you mentioned to convince me it has any place in modern Manual Transmissions.

If it works for you fine, but don't try to convince others it is appropriate for other transmissions, especially modern MTs, especially since we have no real data on this oil.

Last edited:
Mola
Pentosin Pro Gear 70W-75 in your list should be Penrite Pro Gear 70W-75. I use this oil in daughters 6-speed manual Suzuki SX4, and it’s fixed the infamous 2nd gear crunch.

Section B has been updated with both the Penrite and the added Fuchs MTF product.

Fuchs once supplied the Australian market with a 70W75 but has since changed some of the Pentosin designations to the Titan Sintofluid series. Keeping up with the changes of various manf. MTF names and their oil properties only complicates things. :)

8. Penrite Pro Gear 70W75 (Australia)
9. FUCHS Titan Sintofluid FE 75W Manual Transmission Oil. GL-4 75W Gear Oil

Last edited:
Redlines MT 90 works great for me in my 2001 TT 225Q + it cured poor shifting for a while in my 2001 jetta 02j known for poor syncros 5 spd

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back