MTF Recommendation: Chevy Cruze

Trying to understand MTF options available for our 2013 Chevy Cruze with the very limited knowledge I have of MTF.

As I understand it, the correct part number is 19259104 which is "70W BOT 303 Modified Low Viscosity Manual Transmission Fluid". Cruzetalk seems to tout Amsoil Synchromesh or Amsoil's 75w-90 Gear Lube, though I feel like I see conflcting recommendations between the two even there. I have also read that the fluid needs to be GL-4.

My understanding is Synchromesh is not GL-4. I also don't really understand if the 75w-90 Gear Lube is within the right range given the correct part number reads 70W, but see the 75w-90 is GL-4 based on what I am seeing online.

Seems like the obvious might be to go with the correct part number from the dealer, but I see frequently posted less than stellar feedback about the OE fluid.

So - wondering I guess what others have used/would recommend with Cruze's but also if there is an appropriate aftermarket equivalent for the OE fluid.

If you are happy with the way it has shifted up until now, just get the dealer fluid. Is it particularly expensive?

Trying to understand MTF options available for our 2013 Chevy Cruze with the very limited knowledge I have of MTF.

As I understand it, the correct part number is 19259104 which is "70W BOT 303 Modified Low Viscosity Manual Transmission Fluid". Cruzetalk seems to tout Amsoil Synchromesh or Amsoil's 75w-90 Gear Lube, though I feel like I see conflcting recommendations between the two even there. I have also read that the fluid needs to be GL-4.

My understanding is Synchromesh is not GL-4. I also don't really understand if the 75w-90 Gear Lube is within the right range given the correct part number reads 70W, but see the 75w-90 is GL-4 based on what I am seeing online.

Seems like the obvious might be to go with the correct part number from the dealer, but I see frequently posted less than stellar feedback about the OE fluid.

So - wondering I guess what others have used/would recommend with Cruze's but also if there is an appropriate aftermarket equivalent for the OE fluid.
All dedicated MT fluids described as Synchromesh's are GL-4 protection rated.

The newer MTFs being speced are low viscosity fluids of about 6cSt@100C. Any 75W90 would be too high a viscosity.

I would try the Redline MTL-LV for the NY weather.

https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-lv-70W75W at 6.5 cSt.

Pennzoil Synchromesh, Valvoline Synchromesh, or Royal Purple Synchromax :unsure:
Volvoline synchromesh should be fine?
None of the above were "recommended" on each manufacturer site in their "does this fit your car" tool or the part numbers didn't cross reference from what I saw on Pennzoil's site. Just trying not to shoot myself in the foot here.

If you are happy with the way it has shifted up until now, just get the dealer fluid. Is it particularly expensive?
$20 - $25 a quart online plus shipping. Haven't called locally yet. Opinions of the OE fluid seem low online in forum threads I have read. Not saying that is reality I just don't know and figured I would ask given how broad the BITOG user base is.

All dedicated MT fluids described as Synchromesh's are GL-4 protection rated.

The newer MTFs being speced are low viscosity fluids of about 6cSt@100C. Any 75W90 would be too high a viscosity.

I would try the Redline MTL-LV for the NY weather.

https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-lv-70W75W at 6.5 cSt.
Thanks for posting, did not check out Redline so good to see there is an option.

MolaKule - Do you have any opinion on Redline versus the AC Delco fluid (p/n 19259104)?

i have used Redlines great gear lubes for years + for my vehicles the MT-90 is great in Pa weather, spendy + long lasting but worth it IMO so shop around, our sponsor HPL prolly has a premium choice as well

For sure any 75W-90 gear lube will be too viscous . As would Amsoil MTG 75W-90

Closer is the Amsoil Syncromesh MTF (and yes it can meet GL-4 as Mola says)

Back