Valvoline Restore & Protect 5w-30 (Gonna Take a Chance)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont even know what camps are, just pointing out the grey area in the marketing material. But if that leads me to get 40 smackroos dm me.
lol, I totally mixed you up with the other guy. Apologies! Or were you the one who took the bet. I'm lost. And maybe a bit senile.....

Pennzoil:
From as far back as 2008….

“In fact, the superior active cleansing agents in Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic motor oil not only help prevent sludge, but also clean out up to 46% of built-up sludge in the first oil change.

Mobil One:
Ultimate engine performance even in severe conditions. 20X better high temperature protection. Excellent low temperature protection for easy start-up. Helps remove sludge in just one oil change.

So again, what’s different about this product than the ones I just listed above?
Doesn’t say restore and protect for one thing. >(

I'll bet you 40$

Winner sends funds via Zelle.

I win. I'm part of that camp and I'm nowhere near upset by it.
Hah! I admire your confidence but alas:

IMG_2538.jpeg
IMG_2537.jpeg

I only accept payment in Valvoline Restore and Protect™, bratwursts, and dinosaur-themed socks.

Does anyone think Mobil 1 ESP or amsoil is better? It’s all overkill but I just want to start the vehicle on the best and keep using it. I had the entire vehicle fluid filmed and I ceramic buffed it when I brought it home. I plan on keeping it a long time. So like most of you I always seek the best

Does anyone think Mobil 1 ESP or amsoil is better? It’s all overkill but I just want to start the vehicle on the best and keep using it. I had the entire vehicle fluid filmed and I ceramic buffed it when I brought it home. I plan on keeping it a long time. So like most of you I always seek the best

It depends how you define better. For longer drains Amsoil SS is better. For certain high-end approvals, ESP is better. It's a very fragmented market with a lot of niche products now.

If you use a premium oil like Amsoil/HPL/Mobil 1, then you will likely always have a very clean engine free of piston deposits. Preventing them in the first place is most important.

For moderate OCI, this Valvoline appears to be a very good option if you want a RC oil that is approved. Per Valvoline, it's unique in that it can actually clean piston deposits by dissolving them. It's possible that Amsoil SS, and Mobil 1 ESP can also dissolve piston deposits because it contains high solvency base oils, but it's never been demonstrated so no one knows.

There's nothing with which to make a comparison. It's probably similar to M1 products which have similar claims. Amsoil and Redline for that matter may also fall into that category but neither make similar claims as M1 or Valvoline.

There's nothing with which to make a comparison. It's probably similar to M1 products which have similar claims. Amsoil and Redline for that matter may also fall into that category but neither make similar claims as M1 or Valvoline.
I'm going to guess with confidence that RL can't dissolve piston deposits but will run clean. Certain grades of Mobil 1 may be able to but even that is questionable. JAG did a backyard chemist test a few years ago and Amsoil SS was able to clean some varnish off a piece of copper. Likely due to the esters Amsoil is using. This is all just my opinion.

I could see people advertising engines as rebuilt on Craigslist with this and a little spray paint.

"it's been restored on!"

Amsoil SS would be a waste, to protect your warranty you'd need to at least change it when the OLM went off, and SS could probably do double that without breaking a sweat. If it was the same price I'd use it, but Amsoil SS would be more than double.

I don't consider the EcoBoost a good candidate for longer drains anyway. Like many here, I'm sticking to no more than 5k intervals with a good synthetic.

I'm sure there are some top notch chemist's/tribologist's at Valvoline. I also tend to think they probably happened upon an ad pack chemical that modifies the small amount of AN or other esters used to get the ring lands/pistons clean. They have this ability in their Cummins Restore oils and probably looked at ways to get similar results with their gasoline oils. I also believe that the price for this product will trend downward over the years as others copy it and compete with it.

U guys are making me nervous like this new oil needs to prove itself. Maybe I should take it back and get something that’s been around awhile. I think they probably just tweaked the EP package aliitle and gave it a new name.
There is nothing wrong with it I'm sure. It's the fact that you think a new engine needs to be restored? Are you planning on neglecting it? That's the only reason it will need any kind of cleaning or "restoration".

It's got the Ford approval, SP, and GF-6A. The limited literature available doesn't mention extended drain intervals, so run it for 5k like any sane Ecoboost owner should, and follow up with a UOA.

It's from a major company (no Triax BS) that's involved in racing (AMG F1 and lesser series), commercial diesel fleets, and more. Run with confidence.

I'm doing a valve adjust on my hooptie (04 TL 167k). Going to get pics of the valve covers removed, run this for 5k, and follow up with a borescope of the valve train. Follow up will be awhile, because I alternate cars depending on if I'm on preschool duty.

I order from their corporate depot from time to time. 10% off for signing up and buy one get one free right now. Free shipping over a threshold. Not sure if the new stuff is available yet.

It’s not on the AutoZone website that I can find even though it’s made it to the shelves. They have Extended Protection on clearance on the website though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back