Valvoline Restore & Protect 5w-30 (Gonna Take a Chance)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is certainly not proving it with data.
Hey, take it easy on this guy. He owes me 40$

EDIT: I apologize to proveitwithdata - he isn't the one who owes me 40 bucks.

1703197307185.jpg

Last edited:
Actually they say that it restores the dirty pistons to factory clean which implies that it cleans the existing deposits.
Valvoline claims that for this product.

But others don’t. They make claims about sludge, but not piston deposits.

Big difference between the two. That’s the point. This one claims to do what others don’t.

Some of the best oils out there in the global markets, lack dexos approvals.
Agreed. Usually higher mileage oils lack it. But my main point was that the price is pretty high for not carrying it while also making what amount to non tangible claims for claimed results which will happen years down the road.

Well... expensive to me anyway. Maybe I'm just a cheapskate.

I'll bet you 40$

Winner sends funds via Zelle.

I win. I'm part of that camp and I'm nowhere near upset by it.

I’m with you. Even if it does everything it’s advertised to do and then some….do I really need to use it since I’ve been changing my oil every 5k with whatever was on sale? I don’t have sludge, if I have piston deposits they certainly don’t affect driveability or performance.

Pennzoil:
From as far back as 2008….

“In fact, the superior active cleansing agents in Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic motor oil not only help prevent sludge, but also clean out up to 46% of built-up sludge in the first oil change.

Mobil One:
Ultimate engine performance even in severe conditions. 20X better high temperature protection. Excellent low temperature protection for easy start-up. Helps remove sludge in just one oil change.

So again, what’s different about this product than the ones I just listed above?
Again, sludge and piston deposits are not the same thing. Removing piston deposits and varnish requires a lot of solvency. Sludge can be removed via detergents and dispersants.

Isn't this more or less the gasoline engine version of their expensive diesel cleaning oil, Premium Blue Restore?

That oil works as described and is well praised. Not sure why all the hate and skepticism in this thread. Ignorance maybe...
It's different formulation than the Restore developed with Cummins.

I saw this. Unfamiliar with the site, but they claim Restore and Protect is Group IV/V oils. I personally don't care what the group of oil is that I use as long as the performance is there. I wish Valvoline would post specs for the oil.

Edit: link is for wrong product with similar name. Disregard.

Hard carbon in the ring lands is different from sludge. Like all the other posters are saying, basically all modern oils will clean sludge if changed regularly. Talk about sludge is just muddling the topic. @mco30mco I was being sarcastic about the project farm video. I think Valvoline is doing something others aren't, and they a history with true cleaning oils, see Premium Blue Restore.

Joining the party.

Attachments

• PXL_20231221_201554489.jpg
    PXL_20231221_201554489.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 85
Again, sludge and piston deposits are not the same thing. Removing piston deposits and varnish requires a lot of solvency. Sludge can be removed via detergents and dispersants.
To me “deposits” and “sludge” are simply semantics and marketing. No different than pennzoils claim to keep pistons cleaner. If the product is keeping pistons cleaner, it’s also cleaning them as well. Perhaps this is simply their restore for the diesels rebottled. Or a good ester based oil.

To me “deposits” and “sludge” are simply semantics and marketing. No different than pennzoils claim to keep pistons cleaner. If the product is keeping pistons cleaner, it’s also cleaning them as well. Perhaps this is simply their restore for the diesels rebottled. Or a good ester based oil.
It's not semantics. Sludge and deposits are different. It is not the same product.

If you use a good oil from the start, your pistons will stay relatively clean. If you put PUP into an engine that had dirty pistons, it will not be able to clean the pistons back to factory levels. The Valvoline oil can because it was designed to do so.

My guess is that it'll have more or use AN's. A little AN goes a long way from what I understand. It may be a decent alternative for those oil burners out there.

OP needs to get a VOA.

Last edited:
Anybody have an oil chugging: VW, Audi, Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai that needs a ring flush and then could be run on this? I'm hoping it's proven that it does what they are claiming. What's 4 oil change intervals, 12,000 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back