Valvoline Restore & Protect 5w-30 (Gonna Take a Chance)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're using a premium oil already you won't need such a product. What seems to be the difference here if you pay attention to what Valvoline is saying is that most oils don't actually clean, they prevent deposit formation and just capture carbon from the combustion process. Valvoline claims this oil can actually clean and restore pistons back to factory levels. That is actually impressive.

Is it an improvement over other 'shelf oils". Perhaps. Is it a good replacement for HPL/M1 ESP/AMSOIL. Likely not.

It amazes me though how many people on here want something for nothing. You want something new and innovative or something that goes above your typical oil, then gripe about the price. Give me a break.

This oil is also for normal drain intervals. If you ran this oil say 15k-20k miles, the cleanliness benefit may no longer exist where as your premium full synthetic oils with strong anti-oxidation properties will still be preventing deposit formation. Just a thought.

So this oil could very well be an excellent OTC option for normal drain intervals.

How could anyone complain about another option that claims innovation, with purported proof via sequence testing? To add to this, if/when it hits Walmart shelves the combined price of 5 qt and a filter would be maybe $50, putting the price/qt at about $7 - $7.25. If a car has an oil consumption or fuel dilution problem that necessitates frequent topping off/changes, an oil like this could make sense.

Plus, once you leave the oil isle, you can pick up some garage beers and snacks, home items, and whatever else all without leaving the store. The fact an off the shelf oil brand is doing something targeted at service-minded people is only a good thing. Why are people whining about new products before anyone has really used it? I'm still considering an order of HPL for my next round of services, but my high mileage pre-vcm J32 would run on just about anything. That's where the valvoline would make sense.

How could anyone complain about another option that claims innovation, with purported proof via sequence testing? To add to this, if/when it hits Walmart shelves the combined price of 5 qt and a filter would be maybe $50, putting the price/qt at about $7 - $7.25. If a car has an oil consumption or fuel dilution problem that necessitates frequent topping off/changes, an oil like this could make sense.

Plus, once you leave the oil isle, you can pick up some garage beers and snacks, home items, and whatever else all without leaving the store. The fact an off the shelf oil brand is doing something targeted at service-minded people is only a good thing. Why are people whining about new products before anyone has really used it? I'm still considering an order of HPL for my next round of services, but my high mileage pre-vcm J32 would run on just about anything. That's where the valvoline would make sense.
I have two quarts of EC in a motor now - will look at the oil filters twice - mid way and end of run …
If I don’t see anything it won’t be bcs EC’s a gimmick - it will help confirm that my engine is clean …
I have similar trust in Valvoline as well …

Last edited:

Those were my thoughts when I bought it. I was considering amsoil and hpl but seeing that the engine is an ecoboost and all ecoboosts are very hard on oil I will never do an extended oci. I want the best I can get at a reasonable price and run it 4 to 5 thousand miles. I contacted valvoline and the oil has an hths of 3.2 so that will give better protection than most comparable oils. The oil is slightly different than the other valvoline oils since the density is .852 which is higher than their other oils. I could not get them to tell me if there are borate esters in it for cleaning though. Maybe lake speed jr at speed diagnostic’s will run a spectrograph analysis on it one day and see if there is anything new to discover. A general voa will prolly not reveal much since most sp gp6 oils have a similar additive pack. Valvoline usually has higher moly than others but if I had to guess this one may have more boron. Only a guess though since they were not allowed to tell me anything in detail.

Those were my thoughts when I bought it. I was considering amsoil and hpl but seeing that the engine is an ecoboost and all ecoboosts are very hard on oil I will never do an extended oci. I want the best I can get at a reasonable price and run it 4 to 5 thousand miles. I contacted valvoline and the oil has an hths of 3.2 so that will give better protection than most comparable oils. The oil is slightly different than the other valvoline oils since the density is .852 which is higher than their other oils. I could not get them to tell me if there are borate esters in it for cleaning though. Maybe lake speed jr at speed diagnostic’s will run a spectrograph analysis on it one day and see if there is anything new to discover. A general voa will prolly not reveal much since most sp gp6 oils have a similar additive pack. Valvoline usually has higher moly than others but if I had to guess this one may have more boron. Only a guess though since they were not allowed to tell me anything in detail.
Reasonable approach. For shorter OCI, this oil makes perfect sense. If you were to stretch the intervals out that is when I would use HPL/Amsoil/M1 etc.

With a HT/HS of 3.2, this oil should be pretty shear stable for a RC oil.

Tbf, the back of M1 EP says "help clean sludge in just one change"

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231221_074552_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231221_074552_Chrome.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 292
The other Valvoline 5w30's (Advanced and Extended) at also HTHS of 3.2, which is in part why I am running it now. I have noticed entry level synthetics tend to have slightly higher viscosities, perhaps to help accommodate for average base oils and fair to middling add packs. Castrol GTX full synthetic and Mobil (not M1) full synthetic come to mind here.

The Valvoline products on the other hand have stouter add packs more typical of higher tier offerings yet boast an HTHS of 3.2. I'll take it.

I'd really like to just run a Euro but like the OP, I have a brand new Ford under warranty, I'm doing and well documenting my own oil changes, I don't want to leave any opportunity for a warranty issue down the road. None of the Euro oils carry the Ford spec in my manual, even though I know they far exceed its minimum requirements for protection. I suspect the Ford spec has a CAFE driven lower HTHS requirement.

How large is it ?
A cursory search of recent 2AR-FE threads where folks are running different cleaning oils is indicative of how "large" it is.
A good marketing department will give the impression to some folks dealing with bad motor designs that running this for a single oil change or more will reverse course on oil consumption that has taken a decade or more to present itself.

A cursory search of recent 2AR-FE threads where folks are running different cleaning oils is indicative of how "large" it is.
A good marketing department will give the impression to some folks dealing with bad motor designs that running this for a single oil change or more will reverse course on oil consumption that has taken a decade or more to present itself.
That is certainly not proving it with data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back