Valvoline Restore & Protect 5w-30 (Gonna Take a Chance)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How large is it ?
With a new car, what's it going to clean?
Maybe it will protect and maintain factory clean, its proced less than amsoil and hpl. It meets the newest ford spec so I thought I’d give it a try. Seems like they are trying to get a bit of penzoil ultra platinum market share. I looked at the ultra platinum and it did not meet fords newest specs. Newest spec is suppose to deal with carbon build up, chain issues, and lspi I believe. All the kinds of things an ecoboost deals with

Maybe it will protect and maintain factory clean, its proced less than amsoil and hpl. It meets the newest ford spec so I thought I’d give it a try. Seems like they are trying to get a bit of penzoil ultra platinum market share. I looked at the ultra platinum and it did not meet fords newest specs. Newest spec is suppose to deal with carbon build up, chain issues, and lspi I believe. All the kinds of things an ecoboost deals with
I think it deserves a good ”time will tell” … folks will use a bore scope - cut used filters - oil fill hole … etc, etc …
I also think the competition will take it to their lab …

I think it deserves a good ”time will tell” … folks will use a bore scope - cut used filters - oil fill hole … etc, etc …
I also think the competition will take it to their lab …
I'm ready for the impending project farm video! :LOL:

"I soaked these carboned up pistons in different oils for 2 years, or the equivalent of 4 oil changes!"

I'm ready for the impending project farm video! :LOL:

"I soaked these carboned up pistons in different oils for 2 years, or the equivalent of 4 oil changes!"
U guys are making me nervous like this new oil needs to prove itself. Maybe I should take it back and get something that’s been around awhile. I think they probably just tweaked the EP package aliitle and gave it a new name.

Sure being marketed as a lot more than a tweak. I wouldn't take it back, it's Valvoline and it meets all the specs you need. In fact I was just looking for it at Wally's site out of curiosity but it hasn't shown up there yet.

I also noticed some of the heavy hitter oils (like Pennzoil Ultra) lack the newest Ford spec 961-A1. Maybe there is more too it than I was giving Ford credit for.

Then again both Mobil full syn and Castrol GTX full syn both meet it and they are both considered more entry level full synthetics. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Sure being marketed as a lot more than a tweak. I wouldn't take it back, it's Valvoline and it meets all the specs you need. In fact I was just looking for it at Wally's site out of curiosity but it hasn't shown up there.

I also noticed some of the heavy hitter oils (like Pennzoil Ultra) lack the newest Ford spec 961-A1. Maybe there is more too it than I was giving Ford credit for.
Agreed 👍

Sure being marketed as a lot more than a tweak. I wouldn't take it back, it's Valvoline and it meets all the specs you need. In fact I was just looking for it at Wally's site out of curiosity but it hasn't shown up there.
Auto zone has it. So far they are the only ones

U guys are making me nervous like this new oil needs to prove itself. Maybe I should take it back and get something that’s been around awhile. I think they probably just tweaked the EP package aliitle and gave it a new name.
Nothing to be nervous about. Use it with confidence.

Its still an API SP / ILSAC GF-6A engine oil, and Valvoline isn’t some rogue outfit peddling snake oil.

Well, there won’t be any CBU yet - you could hold it for a year and use something else for now …

I don’t see the “restore” part of any quality detergent oil. They keep things from getting dirty. Hold dirt in suspension. Prevent deposits.

But they make no claim of cleaning existing deposits.
Isn't this more or less the gasoline engine version of their expensive diesel cleaning oil, Premium Blue Restore?

That oil works as described and is well praised. Not sure why all the hate and skepticism in this thread. Ignorance maybe...

The marketing sheet is worded with language that gives the effect of 4 oil changes will clean upto 100% of deposits.
Up to 100% piston deposit removal when used as directed for four or more consecutive oil changes at standard maintenance intervals, based on adapted sequence IIIH testing.

Actually they say that it restores the dirty pistons to factory clean which implies that it cleans the existing deposits.

In the FAQ it says it chemically dissolves deposits and holds them in suspension to be removed upon oil change
Valvoline’s Active Clean technology chemically dissolves deposits into microscopic pieces, which are then suspended in the motor oil, eventually leaving the engine during the next oil change. There is no impact to the performance or longevity of the oil filter.

I We must have missed where they label restore and protect on those labels. :mad: [/QUOTE] Pennzoil: From as far back as 2008…. [I]“In fact said:
https://www.techshopmag.com/pennzoil-platinum-cleans-engine-sludge-in-the-first-oil-change/[/URL]

Mobil One:
Ultimate engine performance even in severe conditions. 20X better high temperature protection. Excellent low temperature protection for easy start-up. Helps remove sludge in just one oil change.

I don’t see the “restore” part of any quality detergent oil. They keep things from getting dirty. Hold dirt in suspension. Prevent deposits.

But they make no claim of cleaning existing deposits.
So again, what’s different about this product than the ones I just listed above?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back